IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 08:29 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SyndicateX
I actually have the 2IS RWD. I went to the dealership and the parts guy told me that I can run 225/45/17s on all fours but Lexus apparently recommends the staggered set up for the RWD.

The sales rep at Costco is only following what the computer is telling him. Price wise the dealer and Costco is only 50 bucks a part which is not bad. The only problem is that the dealer ran out of 245/45/17s. Costco was out of stock until today. I have yet to make my decision, but should make it soon, as snow will come soon.

I asked whether I should have steel rims or alloys and was told there are both pros and cons. I went ahead and bought the steel rims since it will be heavier and more resistant to heavy road salt that they use here in Canada.

I am encouraged that so many of you have positive experiences with your set ups. But you all have AWD. It is the first time that I will be driving RWD in snow. Been reading the forums and watching some videos on youtube. It will be interesting so see how the snow mode works on my car.

Will give an update on my set up when I buy my tires later on this week.

what year is your IS? You'll prob need to turn off traction control or risk losing power when you need it most at an intersection. Snow mode starts you in second so there is less of a chance that you spin the tires and lose traction but I don't like how the car feels so sluggish so I rarely use it. I only got stuck once last year and it was backing into my garage through a laneway that doesn't get plowed. There was probably about 10 inches of snow on the ground and the RWD just couldn't pull the front once the tires were angled (it wasn't a straight back in). So I circled the block and drove in head first and problem solved. I'd run non-staggered on all four corners. The thinner the better. I think I read that the stock wheels went as thin as 215 in the first model year. You prob don't want to go any thinner than that as the car is pretty heavy.

Again, I'm running 225/45/17 on my RWD. This will be my third winter with the car.
Old 10-29-13, 11:21 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Snip:
Originally Posted by embolism
I think I read that the stock wheels went as thin as 215 in the first model year. You prob don't want to go any thinner than that as the car is pretty heavy.
My plan is to run 215/50-17 all the way around. As far as a load rating you have to check your manufacturers specs. For the popular Blizzak WS-70 the max load rating is 1,521lb for a 215/50-17 and 1,356lbs for a 225/45-17. Since the 2IS is in the 900lb per corner range I think either tire gives plenty of margin.
Old 10-31-13, 04:45 PM
SyndicateX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely be careful in the winter. I have scheduled an appointment with a local Toyota dealer that had the 245/45/17s in stock for Xice Xi 3. I will be running the staggered configuration as it is recommended by Lexus.

Although I understand that running 4 225/45/17 is better in snow, but once they clear the road, having a thicker back tire will actually have benefits. I had a hard time finding Lexus dealerships that had the 245/45/17 in stock. I guess some of them must get it off Costco as Costco was out of stock as well. It's bizarre how they can sell out so fast. I guess not Micheline must not make the 245s on regular basis. The only place that had it in stock was Toyota dealership that was 40 mins away.

I bought steel rims for the winter tires and no tpms. Would alloys be better? Do I need to have TPMS? Thanks

Last question, nitrogen or compressed air?
Old 10-31-13, 04:59 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SyndicateX
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely be careful in the winter. I have scheduled an appointment with a local Toyota dealer that had the 245/45/17s in stock for Xice Xi 3. I will be running the staggered configuration as it is recommended by Lexus.

Although I understand that running 4 225/45/17 is better in snow, but once they clear the road, having a thicker back tire will actually have benefits. I had a hard time finding Lexus dealerships that had the 245/45/17 in stock. I guess some of them must get it off Costco as Costco was out of stock as well. It's bizarre how they can sell out so fast. I guess not Micheline must not make the 245s on regular basis. The only place that had it in stock was Toyota dealership that was 40 mins away.

I bought steel rims for the winter tires and no tpms. Would alloys be better? Do I need to have TPMS? Thanks

Last question, nitrogen or compressed air?
Unless you rwd putting alot of power to the ground wider isn't better for snow tires. Narrow is better for traction which I'll take over what power you don't have anyways. But either would work as far as air go compressed will work fine.
Old 11-01-13, 07:26 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I like alloys over steel wheels because they are significantly lighter and less prone to rusting over time. Plus they look a lot better. When I ordered my winter wheels, I got the Xice3's mounted on some cheap 5-spoke "Sport Edition" wheels from tirerack.com.

I'd go with compressed air, its usually much more easily available in comparison to nitrogen. Plus nitrogen won't make a huge difference anyway.

No TPMS is fine if you don't mind the light on the dash. Just make a habit of doing a quick tire check every time you go to your car.. you don't wanna get caught with a flat tire in the dead of winter.
Old 11-01-13, 08:46 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll also periodically get a chime from the TPMS system. If you store your tires with TPMS in the garage, then the light will sometimes go off again. Then, if your trips are less than 30 min at a time, the light won't even go on. I used to make a game of it. My light only came on 3 times last year... haha
Old 11-01-13, 09:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
you'll also periodically get a chime from the TPMS system. If you store your tires with TPMS in the garage, then the light will sometimes go off again. Then, if your trips are less than 30 min at a time, the light won't even go on. I used to make a game of it. My light only came on 3 times last year... haha
Lol I did the exact same thing last year! Hahah.. but this year my wheels are stored farther away, so the light never goes away I guess I should get around to programming and installing my other set of TPMS haha
Old 11-04-13, 11:36 AM
SyndicateX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Will be getting the winter tires installed tomorrow.
Your replies have been very informative.
Bought my self a pressure checker yesterday for 2.99 from crappy tire.
Will see how much that amber light will bother me without the TPMS. Maybe I'll store my all seasons in the garage like you guys and not have to worry about the light coming on.