IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Car was in an accident 6 weeks ago and my insurance is being cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 02:49 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Car was in an accident 6 weeks ago and my insurance is being cheap?

So as some of you guys are aware, my car was in an accident with a semi truck where he made an extremely sharp right turn (he was in outer lane. I was in the inner lane making a right off the freeway. There is a stop light. It was a stop light where you can turn on red with caution. My car was braked during the incident.) and collided with the driver side door, fender, mirror and headlight of my car. Because I was in the inner lane waiting to turn, my wheels were already turned so during the collision, my wheels were pushed out a bit due to the impact and pretty much gave my passenger fender a ghetto flare. My insurance sent a check but the passenger side fender is not covered and there is no left over money to have it covered. My body shop told them they will need more money for the fender but my insurance refused saying its not covered because it would not have happened if my car wasnt lowered...
So now I need to call my insurance about the matter so my passenger side fender can be covered.

Is there anyway I can counter their statement? The only counter i can think of is "Because we pay for car insurance for a reason. If anything were to be damaged that isn't our fault, it would be covered."

Do you guys think it would work or do you guys have a better counter argument? Or is it true that because my car is lowered it is my fault even though the truck hit me. (My insurance company hasn't gotten to the conclusion that the truck driver is at fault yet...)

Last edited by yammy; 11-08-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 04:37 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious of you have Geico??

I would think that it should be covered, how come if it's not your fault the trucking company is not covering it? If they are they need to pay for all damages caused. Not "because your lowered we won't pay for this". That's bull...

However some insurance policies specifically state that mods aren't covered. I don't know that I've heard if something in your case but if the fender were aftermarket they could deny the claim. Not sure on if an aftermarket part may have caused a stock piece to break if that's valid.
Old 11-08-13, 04:37 AM
balanced
Driver

That's a crock. They have to cover anything that is bolted to the car. With that being said, if you didn't inform them of your modifcations (in case it would be "extra" for them to cover the additional cost) then they sould say they will put the suspension back to stock and not pay the additional amount for coil-overs or whatever....but your concern is with the sheet metal, so I think they are still on the hook. Assuming they find the truck driver at fault.
Old 11-08-13, 08:49 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by Tarrant64
Curious of you have Geico??

I would think that it should be covered, how come if it's not your fault the trucking company is not covering it? If they are they need to pay for all damages caused. Not "because your lowered we won't pay for this". That's bull...

However some insurance policies specifically state that mods aren't covered. I don't know that I've heard if something in your case but if the fender were aftermarket they could deny the claim. Not sure on if an aftermarket part may have caused a stock piece to break if that's valid.
No. I bet you'll be surprised....but I have Costco's auto insurance by Ameriprise. My insurance is aware my car is lowered because they have pictures of the accident and the adjuster look at it. My insurance is paying out first because they cannot determine who is at fault. Cops wouldn't come out for my accident because no one was injured and no witnesses (shady people...). Everything is pure OEM for body & frame. Only aftermarket parts are the usual..suspension, wheels, exhaust, lip kit, visors etc.
Old 11-08-13, 08:53 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

You shouldn't have your insurance involved. My 2 cents.Does the driver assume responsibility? You should have called his insurance and explain the accident.
Anyhow, no reason for your insurance to deny that.
Old 11-08-13, 08:58 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by keyframe13
You shouldn't have your insurance involved. My 2 cents.Does the driver assume responsibility? You should have called his insurance and explain the accident.
Anyhow, no reason for your insurance to deny that.
Yeah.. I realized now since I had no fault. It was my first accident so I didn't know what I was doing.. No the driver did not want to admit fault. He got out of his truck and accused me that I tried to turn into his lane but I car was stopped because I was letting him go first
Old 11-08-13, 09:14 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yammy
No the driver did not want to admit fault. He got out of his truck and accused me that I tried to turn into his lane but I car was stopped because I was letting him go first
That's insane man.

In south FL we go through that all the time. Friends mom got smashed once by some woman, who after hitting her drove right off. Cops finally arrive and when my friend's mom complained about the hit and run the cop told her that she's lucky the other driver didn't sue her.

Old 11-08-13, 09:16 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

I never saw your first thread...but i assume you were both making right hand turns and from the pic it looks like you were in the drivers blind spot.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-13, 09:49 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by suicidesam
I never saw your first thread...but i assume you were both making right hand turns and from the pic it looks like you were in the drivers blind spot.

Good luck.
Thanks! I even honked at him. I'm not sure if I was in his blind spot.. I updated the pictures
Old 11-08-13, 09:59 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

If both lanes could make right and he got into your lane it's clearly his fault , everyone need to check his blind spot
Did you report the accident to the police? If not you need to do that ASAP. Go to the police in person and do that. Hope you got all the drivers info. The p;olice report can clearly show who fault it is and that might be your savior.
When in accident take a photo with your phone to his insurance card and driver license.
Beautiful car BTW

Last edited by keyframe13; 11-08-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 10:01 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Such **** man! Insurance co. can sometimes be cheap and in ur case at the worst possible time. Sorry man
Old 11-08-13, 10:13 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by keyframe13
If both lanes could make right and he got into your lane it's clearly his fault , everyone need to check his blind spot
Did you report the accident to the police? If not you need to do that ASAP. Go to the police in person and do that. Hope you got all the drivers info. The p;olice report can clearly show who fault it is and that might be your savior.
When in accident take a photo with your phone to his insurance card and driver license.
Beautiful car BTW
Thanks bro! And I have all his information. In the picture is highway patrol. Cops even passed by and didn't pull over to help. I asked highway patrol about getting a report. They denied to. My dad asked him again about going to see the police to file a report and they said cops will not make a report for me... This also happened 6 weeks ago so it might be too late.

Edit: my insurance already OK my car to be repaired and is almost done. My body shop is just requesting more money for the passenger fender as you can see that it was flared out from the accident. My insurance is refusing first saying that it isn't related to the accident and then saying that it happened because my car is lowered. My insurance is paying first because they cannot determine that the truck driver is at fault yet because it's a "He says She says" type of situation.

Last edited by yammy; 11-08-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 10:21 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it is too late I'm sure. Sorry and hope you get your car fixed it just sucks that you have a claim on your insurance now. Do your homework about your state laws so next time you know how to react. gl
Here some tips might help you
http://www.esurance.com/claims-info/...er-an-accident
Old 11-08-13, 10:58 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

How would it be your fault? WTF? Anyways, stuff like this makes me really want to get a dash cam!
Old 11-08-13, 11:43 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I can't stand when people don't own up for their actions. Hope you can get it resolved soon and get that beauty back on the road.

Quick Reply: Help! Car was in an accident 6 weeks ago and my insurance is being cheap?