Hood pins???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 04:07 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Snip...

Hold on... How are you getting 100mpg?!? Sorry, I had to!

It does work that way. LOTS of people have forgotton to latch a 50lb OEM hood and had it come open at ~40mph; if there is enough air getting through your radiator and what not to open a 50lb hood at 40mph, imagine the load on the latch/hood for a 25lb hood at 80+mph.

I'll concede that this is mostly a CYA for Seibon, but having a composite hood latched in more than one place is a good idea. If there happens to be a flaw in the area where the latch is attached (which is far more likely on an aftermarket composite hood than an OEM part) it is VERY possible to lose hood on the highway. For this reason many states require hood pins on aftermarket composite hoods in order to pass safety inspections.

Also there are miles and miles of road not far from me with speed limits of 80mph.
Thank You!!!! Mph... Damn spell check!! Lol
Old 11-15-13, 08:55 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Snip...

Hold on... How are you getting 100mpg?!? Sorry, I had to!

It does work that way. LOTS of people have forgotton to latch a 50lb OEM hood and had it come open at ~40mph; if there is enough air getting through your radiator and what not to open a 50lb hood at 40mph, imagine the load on the latch/hood for a 25lb hood at 80+mph.

I'll concede that this is mostly a CYA for Seibon, but having a composite hood latched in more than one place is a good idea. If there happens to be a flaw in the area where the latch is attached (which is far more likely on an aftermarket composite hood than an OEM part) it is VERY possible to lose hood on the highway. For this reason many states require hood pins on aftermarket composite hoods in order to pass safety inspections.

Also there are miles and miles of road not far from me with speed limits of 80mph.
perhaps you missed the second sentence, here it is again
"as long as your hood has a latch and is fully closed, it will be locked down no matter how fast youre going. "

yes i agree, if you DONT have your hood closed, locked, & latched all the way, yes it can swing up and open. ive done it myself. and surprisingly UNDER 30mph believe it or not. but that really had nothing to do with the radiator concept i was talking about. it was because the entire front of the hood is elevated and so there is so much more air lifting up on the hood. but again thats why i specifically called out the (now bolded) line.

i see youre in utah. i dont think ive ever seen an 80mph speed limit sign but i do believe that utah and/or states 'out that way' probably do have those.

if a company makes an aftermarket hood and its lighter, these are things that shouldve been in consideration in the designing and if their hood fails, thats a manufacturing flaw and would be covered under warranty. however, if one wants to take an extra precaution and put in hood pins, then im all for EXTRA precautions.
Old 11-26-13, 02:36 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of good info in here, subscribed
Old 11-26-13, 03:57 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to note that hood pins are found mainly on race cars or track cars. They moved onto street cars because of rice which is mostly rice inspired cosmetics.

If you have carbon fiber or fiber glass material, you get more hood flexing than a standard hood latch which can wedge loose if you hit 100+mph like on race cars. Street cars rarely even touches that speed... so standard latch should sustain if you closed your hood properly.

If you like the look of having hood pins, by all means, go for it. Your car, so you have the final say.
Old 11-26-13, 05:09 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Update...... Hood pins installed.. The body guy had to put a slight bend to the pins because of the strong arch of the hood but they came out good. I will post pics on Monday .