IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Hyper Silver or Matte Black
Hyper Silver
48.39%
Matte Black
51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Silver or Matte Black Wheels on Starfire Pearl IS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 05:28 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make them look flush I believe your going to need a lower offset. I don't think they offer one so if you want a more flush look you will have to also run a spacer. I'm having the same trouble with eBay wheels my self right now.
Old 11-26-13, 06:35 AM
DJ90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAZE_TYLR
To make them look flush I believe your going to need a lower offset. I don't think they offer one so if you want a more flush look you will have to also run a spacer. I'm having the same trouble with eBay wheels my self right now.
what specific offset should i look for to have a flusher look? i thought the bigger the number, the nearer the face of the rim gets to the outer area?
Old 11-26-13, 07:53 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It depends on whether that number is positive or negative.

In a zero offset rim, the back side of the lug area (the face that touches the hub when the rim is mounted to the car) is dead center. Meaning that if you had an 8" wide wheel, the back side of the lug area would be 4" from the inner edge of the wheel. A positive offset will pull the wheel "in" towards the car, as if you were adding to that 4". A negative offset pushes the wheel out, like you're taking away from that 4".
Old 11-26-13, 09:03 AM
DJ90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
It depends on whether that number is positive or negative.

In a zero offset rim, the back side of the lug area (the face that touches the hub when the rim is mounted to the car) is dead center. Meaning that if you had an 8" wide wheel, the back side of the lug area would be 4" from the inner edge of the wheel. A positive offset will pull the wheel "in" towards the car, as if you were adding to that 4". A negative offset pushes the wheel out, like you're taking away from that 4".
did some googling on wheel offsets and together with your explanation I understand now how offsets influence the flush look. As the more positive the offset, the inner your wheel sits towards the inside of the car. and a negative offset lets the wheel sit out to get the flush look (hope im correct)

so the question is if i want a flush look, is there a standard offset for every brand or type of wheel. or different brands of wheels needs different offsets to make it flush with the IS?

Also, i really love the black wheel aggressiveness look, but im afraid in the long run ill eventually get sick of it whereas getting the hyper silver it sort of wont have that effect, and if i want blacked out wheels, plasti dipping could do it.

Last edited by DJ90; 11-26-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 10:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ90
did some googling on wheel offsets and together with your explanation I understand now how offsets influence the flush look. As the more positive the offset, the inner your wheel sits towards the inside of the car. and a negative offset lets the wheel sit out to get the flush look (hope im correct)

so the question is if i want a flush look, is there a standard offset for every brand or type of wheel. or different brands of wheels needs different offsets to make it flush with the IS?

Also, i really love the black wheel aggressiveness look, but im afraid in the long run ill eventually get sick of it whereas getting the hyper silver it sort of wont have that effect, and if i want blacked out wheels, plasti dipping could do it.
If you want a flush look, you can search some of the wheel fitment threads on the site until you find a fitment you like, then use those specs. Keep in mind that its not just about offset; width and offset go hand in hand.

There are also a few fitment calculators out there that you can use as well. Unfortunately none come to mind at the moment.

Edit: Also I agree that silver is the safer choice. Like you said, you can plastidip them black if you want to try the matte black look. You can't do silver plastidip if you start with matte black wheels. It just won't look the same.