IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do my tires do this on the 250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 06:56 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Why do my tires do this on the 250?

See the darker part and dirtier part on the tires? Happens on all four, outside part seems like it's the part making contact? Just seems odd that it's perfectly lined up with the outer tread. I don't know enough about tires and suspension to diagnose. Note: I have NO SUSPENSION MODS. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sports.

Suggestions on what I need to check?

Last edited by kennyD; 12-04-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-04-13, 07:04 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that seems weird if all your tire pressure has been good to just wear on the outside
ususally i see excessive inside wear on the IS before i see much outside wear
whens the last time you had an alignment?
Old 12-04-13, 10:29 AM
Raybean
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this might help you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weis11/11209692793/
Old 12-04-13, 10:40 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe it has to do with different rubber compounds on the tire treads...doesn't look like alignment or tire pressure wear, just a difference in the rubber holding dirt
Old 12-04-13, 11:49 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Is the wear even across the entire tire? Have a tire tread depth gauge?
Old 12-04-13, 01:11 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Looks like he has slight neg camber. Can't tell too well from this angle.
Old 12-04-13, 01:34 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This is off the Michelin website for the PS2s:

Unique tread design utilizes both a semislick outer tread and a wet-styled innertread to help deliver high levels of wet and dry performance.

It is most likely the difference in the rubber compounds and how the dirt/dust sticks to the different treads.
Old 12-04-13, 01:51 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quick123

Unique tread design utilizes both a semislick outer tread and a wet-styled innertread to help deliver high levels of wet and dry performance.

It is most likely the difference in the rubber compounds and how the dirt/dust sticks to the different treads.
ahem . . . this too . . . lol
Old 12-04-13, 02:39 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by quick123

I think you got got it man.

To answer your questions, I haven't had an alignment in a while. Car drives pretty darn good, tires never wore out funny. I never felt the need to subject my car to a guy who may or may not know what he's doing (especially with the IS tire wear issue).

And tire wear is quite even from what I can see with only visual observation. I don't have any bad wear on the inside or outside. And the issue is identical on all 4 tires. So it kind of rules out major alignment issues. Unless all 4 are jacked up, then *sigh*...

Anyway, that definitely explains it. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-04-13, 04:37 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe what it is called is a Symmetric Tread pattern. If you can see by the groves on the inside and the outside, they go in opposite directions. Symmetric tread patters not only do they use the different compounds for dry and wet performance, but they allow you to rotate your tires freely because they can be driven in any rotation pattern. Symmetric tires DO NOT have "THIS SIDE OUT" on their side wall because they have multiple rotation patterns

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-04-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 04:43 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I believe what it is called is a Symmetric Tread pattern. If you can see by the groves on the inside and the outside, they go in opposite directions. Symmetric tread patters not only do they use the different compounds for dry and wet performance, but they allow you to rotate your tires freely because they can be driven in any rotation pattern
Actually, the tire would be considered a Asymmetric tread design.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180

Here is an example of a Symmetric tread design, which I actually roll on right now :

Old 12-04-13, 04:51 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ then yes, what Gville said... i always get them confused
Old 12-05-13, 12:02 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Looks like he has slight neg camber. Can't tell too well from this angle.
^This. The INNER part of the tire is making contact with the ground... so you have dirt/cement/asphalt dust/little rocks all over making it look grey. The OUTER part does not have any load/weight of the car on it, except when taking turns.... hence why it still looks new (The outer edge of the tire is not wearing as fast as all the weight is on the inside). Our cars come from the factory with -1.8 to -2 degrees (or more) camber. I believe my OEM camber was -1.9? I now have -2.5 after lowering.

If you want more even wear ... get a camber kit and straighten out that alignment so you have -1.5 to -1.3 camber. Then basically your whole tire will make contact with the ground.

Here is an EXTREME example ... basically shows the inner part of the tire is worn while the outer still has tread left.

(And yes.... I know most people buy camber kits to ADD negative camber for Stance/etc .. but thats not what they are truly MADE for. )

Last edited by GiantsFan; 12-05-13 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-05-13, 08:10 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Well the thing is, I've been keeping an eye on tire wear, and it is not worn unevenly from what I can see. And Negative camber is not the main culprit of inner tire wear, am I wrong in that research? Toe angle is the primary cause of premature tire wear. I just read these things, I don't have personal technical training in tires or suspension to really know. But that's horrible tire wear shown above.
Old 12-05-13, 10:20 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
Well the thing is, I've been keeping an eye on tire wear, and it is not worn unevenly from what I can see. And Negative camber is not the main culprit of inner tire wear, am I wrong in that research? Toe angle is the primary cause of premature tire wear. I just read these things, I don't have personal technical training in tires or suspension to really know. But that's horrible tire wear shown above.
Bad toe angle can cause uneven wear yes ... But camber wear is the main cause of inner tire wear.

At the camber you are at ... It's not going to wear that bad so you won't notice it. But look at your tires when they are worn down... The inner part of the tire will hit the wear bar when there is still tread left on the outside.

Quick Reply: Why do my tires do this on the 250?