IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS350 stalled while idling and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 08:56 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2008 IS350 stalled while idling and will not start

I changed the rotors/pads on my car the other day. When I was done the car was out in the driveway warming up a tad while I was speaking to my neighbor behind it. My car randomly just stalled. It was idling fine up till that point, but it literally sounded like someone just turned it off. Upon getting back in the car everything was still on, stereo, nav, all of the dash lights etc...like the car was on but all of the VSC lights were on, etc... I turned it off, and tried to restart it but NOTHING! Everything came on like it should when starting but the brake pedal was stiff and it wouldn't even turn over. All of the clicks and whiring and everything else happened, dash initialized, nav came on, system check, etc... but then the VSC warning would come on and it would kill the A/C etc... I checked the fuses, they all seemed OK. I tried jumpstarting it thinking maybe the battery was low or something. Nothing, it does the same thing. I ended up having the battery tested, all good. I checked all of the connections on the wire harness, (car had the VVT recall done a few weeks back), ended up reading someone else had something similar happen and it turned out to be the alternator. I replaced that today and still NOTHING! I'm about to throw in the towel and send it to Lexus but I wanted to check with y'all for ideas. I've been searching the interwebs all day for this but haven't run into my exact situation.

Can you guys hear the fuel pump come on that's in the tank? If so, at what point of starting it do you hear it prime? Or what can I do to try to hear it? There are several relays under the hood that I hear activating but I can't tell which is what when they're turning on either. Wouldn't a fuel pump failure/etc... have given me a CEL? I haven't gotten a single CEL this whole time.

Thanks in adavance, this is my first problem with this car so I'm a little bit bummed.
Old 12-15-13, 09:15 PM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure you didnt run outta gas?
Old 12-15-13, 09:17 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Positive. Almost a full tank. Plus, it would at least try to turn over I would think. The starter wont even activate.
Old 12-15-13, 09:22 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad battery?
Old 12-15-13, 09:22 PM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said you checked all fuses right? did you check ignition fuse, starter and fuel pump injector fuse?
Old 12-15-13, 09:53 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

With a bad battery it should at least turn over when jumpstarting right?
Old 12-16-13, 12:16 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minato
you said you checked all fuses right? did you check ignition fuse, starter and fuel pump injector fuse?
Old 12-16-13, 08:18 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by minato
Yep. All look good. Been through every fuse on the car I think at this point.
Old 12-16-13, 11:52 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good charging system, but you say the starter won't even engage any more? Are you positive about that? I'd take it to Lexus to test it out further before you're MORE money out of pocket without a solution. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump myself.

GL!
Old 12-18-13, 08:04 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

I threw in the towel and had it towed to my trusted local mechanic before taking it to Lexus. While I was replacing the alternator I found my wire harness covers to be cracked/damaged from the Lexus Tech that did my cam gear recall work. Not pleased. I have the my other mechanic documenting it for me, and it actually may be related to my issue as there is an electrical problem cutting the voltages to some of the sensors on top of the engine when trying to start the car. Not saying it is necessarily Lexus's fault as my neighbor just had the wire harness replaced in his truck due to rats eating the wiring. I park my car inside though, it's never left out. Anyway, when I first found the wiring to crumpled up and the broken plasitcs I complained to Lexus and told them what was happening. They will be seeing the car soon one way or another for an oil change/etc...and if it's found that they may have caused the electrical problems I'm experiencing by being in a rush then they'll be seeing my car for that crap too.

They did a sloppy job on the recall in my opinion either way, everything looks dirty like they didn't bother cleaning or vacuuming any of the crud around the valve covers, etc... cracked/broken brackets and clips, they left off the splash gaurd where my oil filter is, etc... This is the first time I've had an issue at this dealership and I really hope that they're NOT responsible for the issues I'm having now.
Old 12-18-13, 10:36 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I just started having the same problem yesterday idk what's going done recall last week
Old 12-18-13, 11:52 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^^Keep us updated on what fixes your no-start condition.

GL!
Old 12-18-13, 12:30 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

did you attempt to pull any codes? i am almost sure that the recall job has something to do with it.
Old 12-19-13, 12:46 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
did you attempt to pull any codes? i am almost sure that the recall job has something to do with it.
There were NO codes, that's the most stifling part of it. I got a call this morning and the independent I'm using traced it to a shorted out fuel sensor of some sort that's on the fuel rail. It was causing the 5v signal that passes to all the other sensors to drop, effectively killing the ignition but not throwing any codes. Sensor is ~$300 and should be back to me tomorrow. I will be paying for several hours of diagnostic work as well to the tune of $500 or so I'm sure as they technically spent two full days with the car and many hours on the Lexus hotline they use. My mechanic said this was probably not caused by anything Lexus did during the cam gear recall work, but that the sensor itself was part of a TSB that went out affecting many IS350 vehicles (mine was out of range apparently) but they're going to document it for me anyway. I'll report back tomorrow or the next day when I have the car back and I have part#'s and everything. Very strange and difficult problem to diagnose, so says the Tech and the Lexus Hotline he was using to help troubleshoot because of the lack of CEL/codes, etc...

Overall pleased that it's a sensor and not some wiring problems.
Old 12-19-13, 01:04 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
the sensor itself was part of a TSB that went out affecting many IS350 vehicles
are you referring to the TSB relating to the tightening of the fuel pressure sensor?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

Quick Reply: 2008 IS350 stalled while idling and will not start