Carbon issue & manual transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 01:02 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon issue & manual transmission questions

I have early 2010 6 speed manual is250

I have read on threads about carbon build up issues.

I was wondering anyone with early 2010 having this issue?

I was also wondering if any manuals had this carbon build up issue?

Last question has any 2010 6 speed have clutch/ transmission issue?

Reason why I asked: read on thread many earlier model had this issue. Wanted to see if any early 2010 has the same issue.

I'm very concern about these issues.

Thanks

Last edited by vinceiscoo; 01-22-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:30 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

There is a VIN break for 2010 on the carbon repair. Doesn't mean your car will absolutely need the repair at some point, but it may fall in there.

Also, transmission does not affect the carbon issue, they are all included. I've repaired a few 6 speed cars.

What issue are you worried about with the transmission?
Old 01-22-14, 01:55 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onepointon
There is a VIN break for 2010 on the carbon repair. Doesn't mean your car will absolutely need the repair at some point, but it may fall in there.

Also, transmission does not affect the carbon issue, they are all included. I've repaired a few 6 speed cars.

What issue are you worried about with the transmission?
Thanks you for the quick reply.
I looked up the threads and it seem like my car falls in the VIN category for the carbon build up. I just wanted to know, how does the manual vehicles know if they have the carbon issue if they're all automatic reporting them. I never seen manuals report the carbon issue. I just don't want to have a carbon build up issue and not know about it and lose the opportunity to get it fixed.

For the clutch/transmission, I just wanted to know if any 2010 have had this problem that need to have the clutch disk and transmission replace. My car doesn't seem to have that problem that everyone is talking about. But I do have a hard time shifting to second. Feels/sound like it's grinding 1st to 2nd. 3rd sometime has a popping feeling going into. But seems like everyone on here has that issue so I really don't know.

Thanks
Old 01-22-14, 02:07 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinceiscoo
Thanks you for the quick reply.
I looked up the threads and it seem like my car falls in the VIN category for the carbon build up. I just wanted to know, how does the manual vehicles know if they have the carbon issue if they're all automatic reporting them. I never seen manuals report the carbon issue. I just don't want to have a carbon build up issue and not know about it and lose the opportunity to get it fixed.

For the clutch/transmission, I just wanted to know if any 2010 have had this problem that need to have the clutch disk and transmission replace. My car doesn't seem to have that problem that everyone is talking about. But I do have a hard time shifting to second. Feels/sound like it's grinding 1st to 2nd. 3rd sometime has a popping feeling going into. But seems like everyone on here has that issue so I really don't know.

Thanks
Keep in mind, a TSIB does not mean that EVERY car in that range will need the repair. If you have a check engine light, and/or feel the engine running rough, you will need to take it to a dealer. EVERY car that comes in complaining about this, we have to duplicate the carbon style misfires and capture a file of it happening. We submit it to our tech assist hotline, which in return approves or denys the claim based on the data. Even if you think the car needs the repair, it has to actually have a problem to be fixed.

The transmission issue had a production change, that your car should have the most up to date parts installed from the factory. If you think it has a problem, you should take it to a dealership for diagnosis. I would recommend ride with a technician to show them the problem you are having.
Old 01-22-14, 02:51 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind, a TSIB does not mean that EVERY car in that range will need the repair. If you have a check engine light, and/or feel the engine running rough, you will need to take it to a dealer. EVERY car that comes in complaining about this, we have to duplicate the carbon style misfires and capture a file of it happening. We submit it to our tech assist hotline, which in return approves or denys the claim based on the data. Even if you think the car needs the repair, it has to actually have a problem to be fixed.

The transmission issue had a production change, that your car should have the most up to date parts installed from the factory. If you think it has a problem, you should take it to a dealership for diagnosis. I would recommend ride with a technician to show them the problem you are having.
Thank you sir,
I will wait patiently to see if I have the issue with carbon build up. Besides I heard Toyota/Lexus has brought up the warranty for that issue 9year/120k.

With the transmission I hope I don't have no issues. I'm at 45k at the moment. I'll just ride on it for a few more thousand to see if the problem gets worst, then if it does I'll bring it in.

Have you had any 2010 come in with any issues?

Thank you
Old 01-22-14, 06:50 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinceiscoo
Thank you sir,
I will wait patiently to see if I have the issue with carbon build up. Besides I heard Toyota/Lexus has brought up the warranty for that issue 9year/120k.

With the transmission I hope I don't have no issues. I'm at 45k at the moment. I'll just ride on it for a few more thousand to see if the problem gets worst, then if it does I'll bring it in.

Have you had any 2010 come in with any issues?

Thank you
The warranty for the carbon issue is 9 years / unlimited mileage.

I have seen a few 2010's, yes, but not many.
Old 01-22-14, 07:12 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

The warranty for the carbon issue is 9 years / unlimited mileage.

I have seen a few 2010's, yes, but not many.
Thanks you sir.
I'm trying not to stress off it to much. If it happens, then it happens. Hopefully before all the warranty is up.