IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 10:55 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar problem with my is350 I ended up replacing the transmission with one from LK Q were 32,000 miles and only spent 700 bucks and installed it myself now I don't have any problems. I thought about replacing the parts that were causing the light but then thought that there would be little shavings in the valve body and didn't want to deal with anything else. I replace my transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles to prevent any other problems from happening. Newer fluid stays cooler and the parts will not clog or get too hot.
Old 02-06-16, 11:45 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I found some IS350 transmission online $700-$2500. I would go with the newest year. I wonder how much shop charge for labors
Old 02-06-16, 03:54 PM
is250uk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MWIS350
You're right tranmission slipping, and dealer will calibrate. Keep us updated and see how it go.
800 miles ago i replace slu solenoid with error code p2757 and the fluid twice.but now new error code just came p0894 transmission component slipping.but its comming just sometimes not like p2757 every each 50 miles.
Old 02-07-16, 08:51 PM
obicruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Lexus solution that didn't work

Originally Posted by lexuslivin
My 2006 IS250 now has about 158k miles on it. I've been having the issue (like many others) where when I come to a stoplight sometimes the car feels like it's about the shut off (but it doesn't shut off). It kind of stutters.

I took it into the dealer about a year ago and they replaced the pistons and did a top engine cleaning, free of charge. The car ran better for a couple months, but then it went back to how it was before (stuttering at stops/idle).

Then several months ago my Check VSC Light starting to come on. It would be on for a while (ie., a couple hundred miles) and then turn off for a couple hundred miles. Then, it started to get progressively worse where the check engine light would be on the majority of the time. So I bought a OBDII reader and got this error:

P2757: Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

I did some research and it looked like it's a transmission issue, and my transmission might need replacing (or rebuilding at the very least). I didn't want to pay that much so I pushed it off.

Then last week, I met someone at a lunch event who had a 2006 IS250 with about 140k miles. He said he was experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUES:
1. Car stutters at stops/idle.
2. He took it into and got the pistons replaced and top engine cleaned. The problem quickly returned.
3. He started getting a Check VSC Light that would come on and off, and it eventually started to be on the majority of the time.
4. The engine error code was P2757.
5. He took it into the dealer and they changed to transmission oil which didn't help.
6. The dealer finally recommended replacing the transmission and asked for $5000. He said there was no way he was going to pay that. He had the service manager contact corporate and after some back and forth, corporate offered to pay for parts and he ended up paying for labor.

So, after hearing his story I went into my dealer and after paying $134 for a diagnosis, they told me the error code was P2757: Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Performance or Stuck Off, which I already knew. They said I needed to replace my transmission which would cost $5100.

I told them I wasn't going to pay that much, and that I felt the problem was related to the engine issues that Lexus was trying to solve by replacing pistons but it's actually a transmission issue. My car still stutters at idle/stops even after the pistons were replaced. I'm thinking it's a transmission issue and that the 2006 IS250 has a faulty transmission. I asked my service advisor to contact corporate and ask them to pay for parts and I would pay for labor. Corporate declined my request and now I'm thinking of contacting Corporate myself.

But I'd like to get some feedback from others to see if anybody else has been experiencing the stuttering at idle/stops and if changing the pistons actually fixed the problem or not. Or if the problem might be related to the transmission. And if anybody out there has had the Check VSC Light on (with P2757 error).

Thanks everyone.
I also had this problem. Numerous throttle body cleanings later they decided to replace the pistons. It worked for a while then the problem came back. Fortunately for me I haven't had the VSC error come up yet. YET!

Good luck on pleading your case with Lexus. I hope you can get it fixed cheaply.
Old 02-08-16, 12:43 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is250uk
800 miles ago i replace slu solenoid with error code p2757 and the fluid twice.but now new error code just came p0894 transmission component slipping.but its comming just sometimes not like p2757 every each 50 miles.
Don't get it fixed... Another problem will come back or it will start doing the same thing again. I have seen so many come in to the dealer I worked in only to see the unit get replaced months or few years later. When something fails it causes damage to other components and you will never get it the way it was before it started acting up unless you replace the whole valve body and Pistons and other parts. When something fails it sometimes send very small metal pieces around the transmission causing other damage, some metal pieces make it through the filter as will. Easiest way to do it is find a low mileage unit and install a new fluid, filter and front seal because you never know down the road. Also replace the rear main seal since it will only be a number of bolts to get to when the transmission is out. A shop should charge no more than 500-800 for the installation. And to prevent any failing parts or problems replace the filter and fluid with dealer parts and fluid. I know they say it's good until 100k but after 60k the fluid starts turning dark and is no good.
Old 02-16-16, 09:21 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sb217fo
OBD says 0894 transmission component slipping.I have same issues.Done
calibration... now i change fluid and will see what is happening.Have 117k
on my is250
Might be the torque converter slipping.
Old 02-16-16, 09:26 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

You guys want to see something... Look at all of these codes that piped up on a friends car, we replaced all the solenoids and these codes still pop up. Sometimes it drives fine, but sometimes it will drive in second gear with lots of slipping and p0985 now comes up as soon as you put it in gear.

Last edited by isfdude; 02-16-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 02:46 AM
sb217fo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfdude
Might be the torque converter slipping.
Yes...it could be..still pops up differents codes...i looking for another trans.
One funny fact..call my lex service...new transmission cost around 7300 $
i am in europe lucky you jenki
Old 02-17-16, 10:06 AM
is250uk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sb217fo
Yes...it could be..still pops up differents codes...i looking for another trans.
One funny fact..call my lex service...new transmission cost around 7300 $
i am in europe lucky you jenki
I am also in Europe-England.Try to find on ebay.ive found there for 495 pounds from 44 000 miles car.
I had error code P2757 but i replaced SLU solenoid and its gone but now,
Sometimes error code P0894-transmission component slipping is shown on my 07 is250.What do you think is it torque convertor or powertrain control module (PCM) or any another ideas guys?
Old 02-17-16, 02:32 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

You guys want to see something... Look at all of these codes that piped up on a friends car, we replaced all the solenoids and these codes still pop up. Sometimes it drives fine, but sometimes it will drive in second gear with lots of slipping and p0985 now comes up as soon as you put it in gear.
Look like you need new transmission each solenoid cost about $200.
Old 02-18-16, 02:05 AM
sb217fo
Driver School Candidate

Don't get it fixed... Another problem will come back or it will start doing the same thing again. I have seen so many come in to the dealer I worked in only to see the unit get replaced months or few years later. When something fails it causes damage to other components and you will never get it the way it was before it started acting up unless you replace the whole valve body and Pistons and other parts. When something fails it sometimes send very small metal pieces around the transmission causing other damage, some metal pieces make it through the filter as will. Easiest way to do it is find a low mileage unit and install a new fluid, filter and front seal because you never know down the road. Also replace the rear main seal since it will only be a number of bolts to get to when the transmission is out. A shop should charge no more than 500-800 for the installation. And to prevent any failing parts or problems replace the filter and fluid with dealer parts and fluid. I know they say it's good until 100k but after 60k the fluid starts turning dark and is no good.
Yes...you are right....i change SLU solenoid,oil,filter and done calibration and still pops up same codes...best way is to find another trans.If is torque
converter gone tran must be taken down....so i will take it down and resolve this finally
Old 02-18-16, 02:11 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Look like you need new transmission each solenoid cost about $200.
All solenoids were replaced. I found the real problem as I opened the ECM box only to find out the computer was smashed and the computer had one resistor and capacitor broken as well as a bent board. I'm sure after replacing the computer it will fix this cars issue. That computer behind the driver side headlight in the box with three 10mm bolts controls the engine and transmission.
Old 02-18-16, 06:09 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Some people say they stared to have issues after they replaced the fluid? I mean I read this before in other forums that replacing tranny fluid sometimes is not a good idea. I wonder which one is it since my wifes IS350 is near 60k now.

Another thing is getting a used low miles tranny vs getting everything rebuild. I always wondered what's better? I was recently quoted $1600 for rebuild on a Ford car by the way...
Old 02-18-16, 04:43 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

All solenoids were replaced. I found the real problem as I opened the ECM box only to find out the computer was smashed and the computer had one resistor and capacitor broken as well as a bent board. I'm sure after replacing the computer it will fix this cars issue. That computer behind the driver side headlight in the box with three 10mm bolts controls the engine and transmission.
Damage from a front-end collision I assume? Hope that fixes everything!
Old 02-18-16, 05:14 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Thank for updates. You get the solenoid from Lexus dealer?

Quick Reply: Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission