IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 09:19 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

My 2006 IS250 now has about 158k miles on it. I've been having the issue (like many others) where when I come to a stoplight sometimes the car feels like it's about the shut off (but it doesn't shut off). It kind of stutters.

I took it into the dealer about a year ago and they replaced the pistons and did a top engine cleaning, free of charge. The car ran better for a couple months, but then it went back to how it was before (stuttering at stops/idle).

Then several months ago my Check VSC Light starting to come on. It would be on for a while (ie., a couple hundred miles) and then turn off for a couple hundred miles. Then, it started to get progressively worse where the check engine light would be on the majority of the time. So I bought a OBDII reader and got this error:

P2757: Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

I did some research and it looked like it's a transmission issue, and my transmission might need replacing (or rebuilding at the very least). I didn't want to pay that much so I pushed it off.

Then last week, I met someone at a lunch event who had a 2006 IS250 with about 140k miles. He said he was experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUES:
1. Car stutters at stops/idle.
2. He took it into and got the pistons replaced and top engine cleaned. The problem quickly returned.
3. He started getting a Check VSC Light that would come on and off, and it eventually started to be on the majority of the time.
4. The engine error code was P2757.
5. He took it into the dealer and they changed to transmission oil which didn't help.
6. The dealer finally recommended replacing the transmission and asked for $5000. He said there was no way he was going to pay that. He had the service manager contact corporate and after some back and forth, corporate offered to pay for parts and he ended up paying for labor.

So, after hearing his story I went into my dealer and after paying $134 for a diagnosis, they told me the error code was P2757: Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Performance or Stuck Off, which I already knew. They said I needed to replace my transmission which would cost $5100.

I told them I wasn't going to pay that much, and that I felt the problem was related to the engine issues that Lexus was trying to solve by replacing pistons but it's actually a transmission issue. My car still stutters at idle/stops even after the pistons were replaced. I'm thinking it's a transmission issue and that the 2006 IS250 has a faulty transmission. I asked my service advisor to contact corporate and ask them to pay for parts and I would pay for labor. Corporate declined my request and now I'm thinking of contacting Corporate myself.

But I'd like to get some feedback from others to see if anybody else has been experiencing the stuttering at idle/stops and if changing the pistons actually fixed the problem or not. Or if the problem might be related to the transmission. And if anybody out there has had the Check VSC Light on (with P2757 error).

Thanks everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Roop10 (02-04-22)
Old 02-06-14, 09:40 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say it stutters is it like if you forget to push the clutch in on a manual trans car?
Old 02-06-14, 09:53 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
When you say it stutters is it like if you forget to push the clutch in on a manual trans car?
It's quite minor, but it feels like a harsh idle at stop. Kind of like it's at a low rpm or something.
Old 02-06-14, 10:00 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering as my sons car sometimes stutters when he comes to a stop and it is the torque converter not unlocking so the engine almost dies like a manual trans without the clutch being pushed in. Its not an IS also.
Old 02-06-14, 10:38 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im experiencing stutter sometimes at low speeds, right when I try to accelerate.

Prob the start of the same problems u guys r experiencing.

I should take mine in and get it checked. But i get no lights on the dash. Since I got high mileage I too am interested in what solutions u guys manage to find
Old 02-07-14, 08:39 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is actually a very common issue among A LOT of cars. Its the actual torque converter that is failing and that needs to be replaced, not the whole transmission. Torque converters are fluid filled so I am not sure how that works with the IS250's sealed transmission so there comes the tricky part of replacing the converter and refilling it and the the transmission with fluid. I'm sure its possible but unfortunately, I don't know how.

Converters brand new are about 800 from the dealer. If you can get your hands on a shop manual, I would bring it to a local shop and get it done

Also check this video out. Apparently they said do not rebuild the transmission if an electrical code is present such as your solenoid issue. Could just be a TCM reflash is needed.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 02-07-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-07-14, 11:13 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

oh crap...exactly what my dealer serviceman told me..that the transmission is going to fail at around 150k miles or so for most IS with this mileage
i was hoping it's false information
Old 02-08-14, 04:28 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A year ago when my IS250 was on 138k miles i got the VSC light issue and intermittently the car would start to lag but then when i turn it off and on it would return to normal. The fault code read: P2714 - Pressure Control Solenoid "d" Performance/stuck Off

That was the stored code and intermittently i was getting your code: P2757: Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Performance or Stuck Off which was only a pending code and not a stored code. The stored code was P2714 and the P2757 code would come sometimes as a pending code but disappear as soon as the car is turned off and sometimes wouldnt return.

So took my car in to dealers. They removed transmission pan and tested all solenoids, one solenoids resistance was reading completely wrong so they replaced that and re-filled the amount of transmisison fluid required and fit new gasket and pan etc. It's been almost a year and havent had the issue come back. I had random issues of car shivering and transmission jerking took it back and they checked fluid levels were fine and updated the transmission software. The shivering on idle has almost stopped happening, still happens but very rare now. Transmission is still a bit harsh but drives well.

I've done about 12k miles with it so far. I know sooner or later i will probably need to change my tranny and a breakers yard will probably be my choice
Old 02-08-14, 12:33 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I've have some constant downshifting issues with my '08 IS250, it has just over 69k on it now. I haven't bought it to the dealer yet. It is sometimes more noticeable at times than others. Especially when slowing down at a stop sign or light. Its downshifts as if it is holding in the upper gears longer than it should before actually shifting. It is pretty rough, definitely doesn't fell like a nice smooth shifting lexus anymore. I feel like i'm riding in a hunk a junk.
Old 07-14-14, 04:53 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

I'm changing the torque converter solenoid at this moment ant should be the solution to the problem.

Name:  Screenshots_2014-07-14-19-39-50_zps366ba6be.png
Views: 76105
Size:  1.02 MB
The following users liked this post:
montezstop (12-20-19)
Old 07-14-14, 06:15 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

I agree with the above post, get the dealer to replace the TCC solenoid first before even considering a new transmission. I doubt the actual transmission is bad, just one of the electronic solenoids.
Old 07-14-14, 06:26 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

try to disconnect the battery and re connect and see what happened. I had the same code and then some, mine was even at the limp mode stuck on the 4th gear. Now, seems like my car is running fine. However, i know its the matter of time before it happens again. im looking to sell my car or trading it in for the F. g luck.
Old 07-14-14, 07:22 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I experienced those symptoms for about 3 years. Slight jerking and all that was very minor.. as years gone by the transmission would jerk during shifting and accelerating at low speeds.

Once in a while it would get stuck in 3rd gear and when I came to a stop and go it would drive normal.. It kept doing this more and more often.. intermittent CEL going on and off..

Recently the CEL stayed on and the transmission would no longer shift passed 3rd gear. I would reset the ECU by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in and it would drive normal for about 30 mins before it would not shift passed 3rd again..

I was pretty sure the transmission was still good because it would drive normal after resetting the ECU but I took it in and my mechanic took apart the transmission and it was pretty f'd..

So, its currently getting rebuilt and the damage is $1800 with warranty.

So, IMO all of you experiencing these problems... be prepared!

Lets see how it drives after gettiing rebuilt, I know rebuilt transmissions will never drive/feel the same.
Old 07-14-14, 07:46 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
I experienced those symptoms for about 3 years. Slight jerking and all that was very minor.. as years gone by the transmission would jerk during shifting and accelerating at low speeds.

Once in a while it would get stuck in 3rd gear and when I came to a stop and go it would drive normal.. It kept doing this more and more often.. intermittent CEL going on and off..

Recently the CEL stayed on and the transmission would no longer shift passed 3rd gear. I would reset the ECU by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in and it would drive normal for about 30 mins before it would not shift passed 3rd again..

I was pretty sure the transmission was still good because it would drive normal after resetting the ECU but I took it in and my mechanic took apart the transmission and it was pretty f'd..

So, its currently getting rebuilt and the damage is $1800 with warranty.

So, IMO all of you experiencing these problems... be prepared!

Lets see how it drives after gettiing rebuilt, I know rebuilt transmissions will never drive/feel the same.
^^^interestingly enough, no cel yet. Its been almost a week. Keep my finger cross..
Old 07-15-14, 12:31 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

You know you can get a warrantied, used trans for like around $1k...right?

Quick Reply: Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission