IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 09:45 AM
00bolt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about bluetooth

i did a quick search and didnt find much, I even looked at the manual a little and im still a bit confused.... I bought my first lexus last night and my first car with bluetooth so im a little anxious to get this working...

so i realized I have to be parked to get my phone to connect. I did get it synced up and I even was able to rename my phone to Scotts Phone... woohooo... but thats where Im stuck.

How do I get all my contacts put into the car? I saw something where it asked to bring over groups or something? there were like 15 groups... what does that mean? and when I clicked on group 1, it showed a screen like it was importing, but nothing ever happened? maybe i was impatient and didnt wait long enough?

and lastly... when reading through the manual, i noticed it said something about bluetooth calls cannot be made while driving? maybe i misunderstood this, but is that true? isnt that the purpose of this is to be hands free and safer when driving? if thats true, what is the point of this at all?
Old 02-21-14, 11:01 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can make call while driving either using speed dial (this will not grey out during driving) or voice control.

You can transfer all contacts to your Lexus using the transfer option in there. You need to connect your phone successfully first and then transfer it. I think you did it right and just need to wait a few minutes.
Old 02-21-14, 11:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00bolt

and lastly... when reading through the manual, i noticed it said something about bluetooth calls cannot be made while driving? maybe i misunderstood this, but is that true? isnt that the purpose of this is to be hands free and safer when driving? if thats true, what is the point of this at all?
You cannot use the dial pad on the nav screen while the car is in motion. Once you set up your phone book in the car, you can add some of those names to speed dial positions, and you can make calls using speed dial (if the car is in motion, and you hit the phone button on the steering wheel, the nav screen will default to the speed dials). You can use voice commands to say "Dial 215-555-1212" and that will call.

I have an iPhone with Siri. I try to keep it in a pocket where I can hit the home button to activate Siri, and then say "Call Joe", which works way better than the IS's voice command system.
Old 02-21-14, 11:38 AM
00bolt
Driver School Candidate

Ok great... that makes me feel better. I just got back from lunch and played around for a minute and still didnt get the phone book setup. When I go to set it up, it has 19 groups... so I just pressed Group 1, not knowing what that even means... then a screen came up saying transfering.... but then under that, said something that made me believe I had to do something to initiate the transfer on my phone? so after about 2 mins i canceled it. i guess i just need to wait alot longer

Last edited by 00bolt; 02-21-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 01:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok great... that makes me feel better. I just got back from lunch and played around for a minute and still didnt get the phone book setup. When I go to set it up, it has 19 groups... so I just pressed Group 1, not knowing what that even means... then a screen came up saying transfering.... but then under that, said something that made me believe I had to do something to initiate the transfer on my phone? so after about 2 mins i canceled it. i guess i just need to wait alot longer
I have an '07, and I just ended up manually inputting my contacts manually--at the time, my phone didn't support a bulk transfer of contacts. Then when I got a smartphone, I couldn't do it because I have about 3,000 of them on my phone, since I use it for work too; but there's maybe 20-30 people I would call from the car on any regular basis.
Old 02-21-14, 01:56 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

Try this. Worked for me and my phone. I was able to export my entire phone book at once with this. If this doesn't help, I will be more than happy to write up a step by step version of how this works. Good Luck!!

http://touch.lexus.com/lexus/mobilelink/
Old 02-21-14, 01:57 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 09, my first bluetooth car too. I find it easier to just use my actual phone for any dialing or finding contacts, and use the BT just as hands free talking. I use the steering wheel buttons to answer/hangup calls but thats about it.