IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help deciding between a used IS or GS Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14 | 10:16 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help deciding between a used IS or GS Model

Hello,
My husband and I will be moving to California in the summer and need help in deciding to buy either a used IS or GS model. We are okay spending around 20-25k for the IS and 25-30k for the GS.

We are confused about which one to buy and came here for some guidance. We know that we probably want to run this car to the ground so reliability over the long term is an important factor. Any tips/experiences on either model would be greatly appreciated (I realize this is a broad question so please let me know if you need any additional info) Thanks!
Old 02-24-14 | 10:30 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

That is a really broad question. If you have kids then the IS is not the best choice, you will love both cars either way.
Old 02-24-14 | 11:02 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Correct. Too broad of a question. Completely 2 different cars. Here are some questions:
-how long is the commute?
-planning to put kid(s) in the back?
-what is your driving style?
My recommendation is go to a local dealer and test drive both on the same day. Only you guys could make the decision!
They both great cars as a far as long term reliabiliies go.
Old 02-24-14 | 11:11 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lysis250
That is a really broad question. If you have kids then the IS is not the best choice, you will love both cars either way.
We dont have kids but may in the future but probably would get a bigger car when they get bigger so do you think the IS could fit two baby seats comfortably?
Old 02-24-14 | 11:16 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Correct. Too broad of a question. Completely 2 different cars. Here are some questions:
-how long is the commute?
-planning to put kid(s) in the back?
-what is your driving style?
My recommendation is go to a local dealer and test drive both on the same day. Only you guys could make the decision!
They both great cars as a far as long term reliabiliies go.
It is funny because the more I read the more I get confused. Some people say they are basically the same car and some say they are so different. Do you mind sharing why you think they are so different?

I think my commute would be about 45mins-1 hour.

I have been living w/o a car in NYC for so long so I am not sure if I have a driving style. From what I remember, I was not a very fast driver and I loved the smooth ride of my mom's lexus rx300.

Is it even possible to still buy a 2007ish GS model from a lexus dealership or do I have to go to a place like Carmax? Thanks!
Old 02-24-14 | 11:22 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joytoy999
We dont have kids but may in the future but probably would get a bigger car when they get bigger so do you think the IS could fit two baby seats comfortably?
Nope. Unless both you and your husband are under 5'3".
Old 02-24-14 | 11:45 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darkdream
Nope. Unless both you and your husband are under 5'3".
Yes, two car seats wont work unless you guys are very very short. I have the rear facing car seat for my son (in case of emergency) and the front passenger seat had to move it all the way to the front.
I am not sure why people said the two cars are similar! The GS is Touring Sedan while the IS is a Sport Sedan (borderline compact for the rear seats). The GS is definitely more refined and luxurious.
Old 02-24-14 | 11:48 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

It is funny because the more I read the more I get confused. Some people say they are basically the same car and some say they are so different. Do you mind sharing why you think they are so different?

I have been living w/o a car in NYC for so long so I am not sure if I have a driving style. From what I remember, I was not a very fast driver and I loved the smooth ride of my mom's lexus rx300.

Is it even possible to still buy a 2007ish GS model from a lexus dealership or do I have to go to a place like Carmax? Thanks!
They are very different from each other. If the dealer has a 2007ish then you can buy it from there. People trade cars from all years.
Old 02-24-14 | 12:11 PM
Gville350

Basically it boils down to whether or not you will ever have rear seat passengers AND want them to be comfortable. I can count on one hand the # of times I've ever had someone in my back seats. I don't really use them; so the IS350 was a fine choice for me. If you do go with an IS model, do yourself a solid and get the IS350.
Old 02-24-14 | 12:14 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

As much as I love the IS, i would personally go for the GS because even though you dont have children now, you have family and friends that you might tote around and the IS doesnt offer enough leg room in the rear seat. My IS is my personal car so i rarely have people in the back seat but when I do, it really becomes a 3 seater because the person in the back is spread across the rear bench.

As for reliability, The GS and IS have almost identical drive train (GS350/IS350) so reliability and gas mileage would be roughly the same no matter which car you choose. IS250 has different engine but no real major difference everywhere else. The GS is larger and heavier in respects to people saying its different so expect maybe 1-3mpg difference. This is all assuming you are referring to 2006-2011 cars (2nd gen IS vs 3rd gen GS)
Old 02-24-14 | 02:23 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

If you're planning on using them to haul children around, I would recommend getting the GS. The IS back seats are cramped, and the door opening is not that large. Fitting car seats back there is doable, but it is in no way a pleasant experience. You /can/ but it is not something you want to be doing on a regular basis.
Old 02-24-14 | 03:17 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kumquatism
If you're planning on using them to haul children around, I would recommend getting the GS. The IS back seats are cramped, and the door opening is not that large. Fitting car seats back there is doable, but it is in no way a pleasant experience. You /can/ but it is not something you want to be doing on a regular basis.
Unless you want a sports car, get a GS! It's that simple!
Old 02-24-14 | 03:36 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Am I the only one who thinks fitting car seats in the back of the IS is not bad at all? lol
My husband is 5'10 and I'm 5'5 and we don't have problems. This back seat was an upgrade from my Legacy.
Old 02-24-14 | 09:53 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Where do you hear they're the same car? If you like smooth ride, I think the GS is smoother than the IS. They're quite different targeting different set of buyers. The size is an obvious difference with GS being bigger; the GS is also little more luxurious with a more comfortable ride. The IS will handle better and faster (at least the IS350).

The IS will let adults ride fine in the back for trips no longer than 1 or 2 hours, unless they're huge. I'm 6' and got people sitting in the back before without issues; they can't extend their legs much, but I don't really care :p

You should test drive both and you can see the differences. There should be some 2007 GS in Lexus dealerships, but it won't be CPO.
Old 02-24-14 | 10:13 PM
ICU2
Pole Position

Isn't the IS based on the same platform as the GS, just a shortened version?

That's what I heard from other owners when people try to say that the IS is a glorified Corolla.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding between a used IS or GS Model