IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Recently purchased IS350 problems! Need advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 10:47 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Recently purchased IS350 problems! Need advice please!

Hey guys, new here, but not to the car scene. Recently picked up a 06 IS350, which is by far the nicest car I've ever owned. I've only driven it for about a thousand miles before I took it in to for the cam gear recall and got some terrible news while it was being serviced. The dreaded timing chain cover leak was discovered and they told me it's going to cost $3000+ to fix, which seems on par with what other unfortunate souls have been estimated at after I researched this issue.

The car was under the 100k warranty when I purchased it from the previous owner but has now passed 100k and the time allowance for the warranty. Lexus was adamant about there being no wiggle room on the warranty expiration when I inquired.

Any comments, recommendations, would be great. Thanks, fellas!

Last edited by allntrl; 07-08-14 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 11:09 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allntrl
Hey guys, new here, but not to the car scene. Recently picked up a 06 IS350, which is by far the nicest car I've ever owned. I've only driven it for about a thousand miles before I took it in to for the cam gear recall and got some terrible news while it was being serviced. The dreaded timing chain cover leak was discovered and they told me it's going to cost $3000+ to fix, which seems on par with what other unfortunate souls have been estimated at after I researched this issue.

The car was under the 100k warranty when I purchased it from the previous owner but has now passed 100k and the time allowance for the warranty. Lexus was adamant about there being no wiggle room on the warranty expiration when I inquired. I just talked to the dealer again today and they offered to sell me a 12 month powertrain warranty for around a grand and I could bring it back in a few months and I'd just pay a $150 or so deductible to have it fixed, which seems like my only option right now outside of getting totally plowed in the pooper for the whole cost.

Before they offered me the warranty option, I was considering contacting "corporate" for this mythical goodwill assistance, but that seems like a crap shoot.

-Pete
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation... I wonder if the timing chain cover leak only effects early model IS350s or all model years are affected?
Old 02-26-14, 11:12 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Seeing as it wasnt covered under an extended warranty, you may wanna contact corporate or pricing it outside lexus. They are normally good on est. matches from outside places with a good reputation. This is just my experience and 2 cents. good luck
Old 02-26-14, 11:14 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

From what I've seen it looks like it was mostly early models, but there has been sporadic reports of other later year models. Mostly 06's though.
Old 02-26-14, 11:16 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the Club. Sorry to hear about the dreaded oil leak. I am having the same issue with my 2006 (107k miles) right now. The cheapest indie shop I could find to fix this is $2400. I steam cleaned the engine and monitoring the leak and it doesn't seem so bad (only a few drops per week). The leak is about 2/3 up on the engine block so it seems to leak only when the engine is running. Hopefully it wont get too bad since I am not planning on fixing this ($2400 is way too much for the job). Maybe I will have it done once I need to do major services such as water pump, sparkplugs, engine/tranny mounts, etc...(since the labor will be free for these items).
Back to your situation! I wish I have your option. However, make sure you read the fine print to make sure they will cover it. Is it Lexus or 3rd party extended warranty? You might want to do other items I mentioned above since they need to pull the engine out anyway.
Good luck.
Old 02-26-14, 11:17 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Seeing as it wasnt covered under an extended warranty, you may wanna contact corporate or pricing it outside lexus. They are normally good on est. matches from outside places with a good reputation. This is just my experience and 2 cents. good luck
I'd rather not take it elsewhere, only because fixing it apparently requires the engine to be removed from the vehicle for disassembly. Thanks for your input! Might try calling corporate to see what they have to say.
Old 02-26-14, 11:50 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Welcome to the Club. Sorry to hear about the dreaded oil leak. I am having the same issue with my 2006 (107k miles) right now. The cheapest indie shop I could find to fix this is $2400. I steam cleaned the engine and monitoring the leak and it doesn't seem so bad (only a few drops per week). The leak is about 2/3 up on the engine block so it seems to leak only when the engine is running. Hopefully it wont get too bad since I am not planning on fixing this ($2400 is way too much for the job). Maybe I will have it done once I need to do major services such as water pump, sparkplugs, engine/tranny mounts, etc...(since the labor will be free for these items).
Back to your situation! I wish I have your option. However, make sure you read the fine print to make sure they will cover it. Is it Lexus or 3rd party extended warranty? You might want to do other items I mentioned above since they need to pull the engine out anyway.
Good luck.
I'm assuming the warranty would be through Lexus, I'll find out for sure when I go in. I'll look into the water pump, I've heard that can be an issue. The dealer suggested the warranty with the intention of bringing the car back and getting it fixed for the cost of the deductible, so I'll also make sure that is certain.

Good luck with your car, I feel your pain!
Old 02-26-14, 11:50 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

I'd rather not take it elsewhere, only because fixing it apparently requires the engine to be removed from the vehicle for disassembly. Thanks for your input! Might try calling corporate to see what they have to say.
Good luck! I've tried with my dealers/corporate and they wont even willing to give me a discount (which I understand since the car was out of warranty).
Old 02-26-14, 12:03 PM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, just got off the phone with corporate. They just reiterated what the dealer told me. Oh, well, at least I'll have some peace of mind that it'll be under warranty for another year.
Old 02-26-14, 12:40 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^Where in SC are you? To which dealership have you been taking it?

Personally, if the oil leak wasn't bad, I'd not worry about it and just monitor its progress. I've got a '06 IS350 and luckily don't have that oil leak issue; but it was my luck to have a bad NAV unit that needed to be replaced. Luckily that was MUCH easier of a fix!

GL!
Old 02-26-14, 01:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The car was under the 100k warranty when I purchased it from the previous owner but has now passed 100k and the time allowance for the warranty. Lexus was adamant about there being no wiggle room on the warranty expiration when I inquired. I just talked to the dealer again today and they offered to sell me a 12 month powertrain warranty for around a grand and I could bring it back in a few months and I'd just pay a $150 or so deductible to have it fixed, which seems like my only option right now outside of getting totally plowed in the pooper for the whole cost.

Before they offered me the warranty option, I was considering contacting "corporate" for this mythical goodwill assistance, but that seems like a crap shoot.

-Pete
I don't trust this solution AT ALL. It's easy for me to go and spend your $3,000 -- BUT, the dealer sells you this 12 month powertrain warranty, you come back in a few months to get this fixed, and then they say "Our records show that this problem was known before you bought the warranty--NOT COVERED." They know EVERYTHING that any Lexus dealer has ever checked out on your car during the life of the vehicle--look up the car's VIN on the Lexus.com owner's site. If you go this route, you need to get all the paperwork for this 12 powertrain warranty coverage, and understand everything that is covered and excluded.

Otherwise, you risk paying for the coverage AND for the repair.
Old 02-26-14, 01:59 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't trust this solution AT ALL. It's easy for me to go and spend your $3,000 -- BUT, the dealer sells you this 12 month powertrain warranty, you come back in a few months to get this fixed, and then they say "Our records show that this problem was known before you bought the warranty--NOT COVERED." They know EVERYTHING that any Lexus dealer has ever checked out on your car during the life of the vehicle--look up the car's VIN on the Lexus.com owner's site. If you go this route, you need to get all the paperwork for this 12 powertrain warranty coverage, and understand everything that is covered and excluded.

Otherwise, you risk paying for the coverage AND for the repair.
Well said! I wouldn't spend the money until I read and fully understand every little details of the extended warranty. The last thing you want is deny of coverage due to "preexisting conditions".
Old 02-26-14, 03:55 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn it, I just bought an IS350 2006 at 84,000 miles. It does not have this problem yet. How should I prevent this from happening?? The car has perfect maintenance history by Lexus from the previous owner.
Old 02-26-14, 04:15 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

There is nothing you can do to prevent this. The design wasn't robust enough so any slight variations during assembly process will end up with a leak. The leaks usually starting out small and hard to spot. You will have get to remove the bottom engine cover to look for it. My car was religiously cared for by the previous owner (with every single service done by Lexus dealers) and they did not notice the leak. The leak was discovered by the another dealer when they were performing transmission fluid flush (after I have the car for less than 5k miles).
Old 02-26-14, 04:32 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What major problem would it lead into if we don't detect it and not fixing it? Would adding some oil to the car weekly a temporary solution?

Quick Reply: Recently purchased IS350 problems! Need advice please!