IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Most comfortable/smooth tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 11:56 AM
garroids
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems like its between Michelin SS, Continental DWS, and Bridgestone 760 sports. The Michelins handle the best right? But which will give the most comfortable and quiet noise? I want comfort over performance for right now. Tread life isn't a problem as long as its over 25K miles
Old 03-20-14, 12:06 PM
is350DAWG
Driver School Candidate

attached from Consumer Reports... note this is for Ultra High Performance Summer Tires. Tire Rack has additional test data.
Attached Thumbnails Most comfortable/smooth tires-ultra_high_performance_summer_tire_ratings.png  
Old 03-20-14, 12:48 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Continental Extreme Contact one here is DW (Dry, Wet) and is put in Ultra High Performance Summer Tires category. The one i recommended is Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) which is different and it is in the Ultra High Performance All Season Tires. The DW handles better than the DWS in dry and wet but DWS last a lot longer and more comfortable.

In general (don't go crazy on me for this), all season tire doesn't handle as good as summer tires, all season are more comfortable and have better tread life. All season is balanced between handling, comfort and tread life while summer tire is focusing a lot more in high performance handling.

In general, if you are looking for more comfort and less handling, go with Continental DWS. For handling over comfort, go with Michelin PSS.
Old 03-20-14, 06:41 PM
is350DAWG
Driver School Candidate

Here's the chart for HP All-Season if it's helpful. Note that the scores for "ride", "noise", and "tread life" for the Conti DWS. While I tend to agree with what you said about Summer vs All-Season in a general sense, I do believe that the Michelin Pilot SS are an exception to that rule.
Attached Thumbnails Most comfortable/smooth tires-ultra_high_performance_all_season_tire_ratings_and_inbox_o_exchange.png  
Old 03-20-14, 08:30 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ tirerack.com rated the Continental DWS to be the best A/S tire on snow, however it's rated way below average by CR...go figure
Old 03-20-14, 09:54 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The chart regarding DWS noise, ride, and treadlife doesn't tend to agree with Tirerack.com . If black means bad rating, then how can it be bad on tread life?? That doesn't make any sense.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
DWS has over 35 millions miles reported and has pretty good comfort level rating by many users. It also carry 50,000 miles warranty plus tons of users reporting getting that tread life or even more than 50k.

Also, what is your source for these chart and how reliable are they?

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-20-14 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 09:59 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Hoosiers bro!! Hoosiers!!
^ LOL, if op is a track monster

I see a lot of people recommending Michelin PSS. I have used them and they are indeed quiet tires and quite expensive because they also have great dry/wet traction as well as stiff side wall for excellent handling.

I have also personally used hankook ventus v12 and falken 452's. Both are very comparable as far as price, performance, and road noise. If you don't care about handling, then these two is what I recommend from experience.

Then there are all season tires... Ive only used goodyear eagle f1. Pretty quite and has a very good treadwear since its all-season. I don't know about traction, but if you refer to tirerack.com and read the user review average, they are pretty accurate and has not lead me wrong YET.

My friend is selling A/S tires on this forum and I can vouch for him that these are quiet and has a high threadwear.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...ead-300-a.html
Old 03-20-14, 10:07 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
^^ tirerack.com rated the Continental DWS to be the best A/S tire on snow, however it's rated way below average by CR...go figure
I used to have faith in CR, but not after seeing this comparison. I agree with you on DWS.

But how does CR compare tires of difference categories in one chart? and how the hell does the Bridgestone RE-11 have excellent hydroplaning resistance? I actually owned those tires and they are scary in rain. My is350 threw traction light cruising on the freeway at 60-70 mph LOL
Old 03-20-14, 10:15 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The fact that the chart rates DWS having bad tread life throw the chart reliability and credibility out the windows. Tirerack has better reviews. 35 million miles reported by so many users, statistically speaking, is a pretty large sample comparing to that chart that doesn't show much of how it derives its rating.
Old 03-21-14, 12:49 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by is350DAWG
Michelin Pilot SS UTQG: 340, 30K mile treadwear warranty

Brigdgestone RE760 UTQG: 300, no treadwear warranty

Take the UTQG numbers with a grain of salt. Whats more impressive is the treadwear warranty. IMO, the SS will be both more quiet (especially as they wear over time) and more comfortable in addition to handle significantly better. Tread life will be comparable. In the snow, you are screwed, however.
I think you got your UTQG ratings mixed up....

The Bridgestone RE760 has a treadwear rating of 340

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a treadwear rating of 300.
Old 03-21-14, 05:38 AM
is350DAWG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

My bad. You're right.
Old 03-21-14, 06:44 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

Tread wear has little meaning comparing from two different companies.
Old 03-21-14, 06:58 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The fact that the chart rates DWS having bad tread life throw the chart reliability and credibility out the windows. Tirerack has better reviews. 35 million miles reported by so many users, statistically speaking, is a pretty large sample comparing to that chart that doesn't show much of how it derives its rating.
Miles driven can be highly based on the car driven. Driving conditions change tire life. You also need to account for the fact that some companies employ companies to write reviews. Also the actual people that write reviews online on tires is almost probably a smaller subset of the general population. Etc.

CR does these tests in controlled environments. Maybe they are tested in exaggerated conditions.

Last edited by darkdream; 03-21-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 09:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The miles driven question in Tirerack is supposed to be "how many miles you have driven on this particular tire" which is not "how many miles is on your car" that you are thinking.

Are you claiming that Tirerack reviews are crap because of "companies employ companies to write reviews"? How can you back this up?? I heard "such and such" or I think "such and such"??

Also, how big is the general population that run on high performance tires? It is not a big group. In general, the population of less performance tires which are more economical are being sold to the general public. The ones who tend to buy more expensive high performance tires are enthusiasts like us who wants performance. This is a small subset of the whole general population.

Controlled environments? How do they define their methodology? What is controlled and what is not? How is the condition or settings of their testing? As you even mention "maybe they are tested in exaggerated condition" and this itself renders their rating unreliable.

Ok back to this, how can they rate DWS having bad treadlife and Michelin having good treadlife when in fact, DWS has 50,000 miles warranty and have tons of reviews saying they last a long time on Tirerack and Michelin has only 30,000 miles warranty? CR chart rating is not reliable at all just for this fact.

Originally Posted by darkdream
Miles driven can be highly based on the car driven. Driving conditions change tire life. You also need to account for the fact that some companies employ companies to write reviews. Also the actual people that write reviews online on tires is almost probably a smaller subset of the general population. Etc.

CR does these tests in controlled environments. Maybe they are tested in exaggerated conditions.

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-21-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 02:40 PM
07silverIS
Driver School Candidate

Michelin Super Sports If You Can Swing The Price

Quick Reply: Most comfortable/smooth tires