IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus denying basic warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:49 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
....OK -- you've lost me on this one. I don't think the Lexus warranty covers your car getting dirty...
lol. It's hard to explain. It rains, of course, naturally you will have water spots on your paint after it rains. Typically, you wash your car and those spots are gone, drying with a nice waffle weave microfiber. After I dry my car, you can see the outlines of where those water spots used to be. Spraying them down with quick detailer and wiping with a microfiber doesn't get rid of the marks. Bust out the clay bar and rub the paint surface, doesn't do anything. Using a polish by hand will work after apply a good amount of pressure. So I just use my d/a polisher and buff the paint to get the outlines of the marks out. Its similar to bird droppings sitting on your paint on a sunny day. The acids in the droppings heat up and start to etch the clear coat, which requires compounding or even wet sanding. Thats why its always good to carry a clean microfiber and bottle of quick detailer to remove the droppings shortly after they occur. I would polish my paint, get the water spot outlines out of the paint just to do it again the following week after it rained. I have since changed sealants from Blackfire to Sonus, I kind of wish I would have used CQuartz on it early on to gain a layer of ceramic protection. I think I saw some other people experiencing the same issue on their obsidian IS.

This is pretty similar to what I see on the vertical surfaces after it rains. I think its probably more attributed to EPA regulations on new paints. I wish more manufacturers would start offering the matte clears like the black LFA or BMW frozen silver. The other option is getting a vinyl wrap or plasti dip the exterior.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...spot-mark.html

I guess I should also be clear, I do not think this is a warranty issue at all. Is it a headache, yes, is it annoying, yes, but this point was only to let Lexus know about the experience. The whole line from the rain mixing with fuel that won't come out, don't really care about it, but it was worth mentioning. I think we will see clear coats continue to get softer and softer with new EPA standards. Best way to protect the paint would be with a ceramic sealant.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-28-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 09:30 AM
Raybean
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nebgry350

The only other real issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I also explained to Lexus in my complaint for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat. Hand washing the vehicle with a shampoo+conditioner does not seem to remove the outlines of the water spots.
are you serious? You think Lexus should have your car repainted for free because you got rain water on your car? From reading this whole thread i come to believe your one of those people who can never be happy with anything. I think with cosmetics stuff if you didn't notice it the first week you had your brand new car they going to say you did it or come up with another excuse. Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-14, 09:53 AM
Cgmiller63
Driver School Candidate

Nebgry350 - I can relate to your situation. My BMW had a scratch on the steering wheel emblem and I noticed it every time I got into the car. It bothered me but not enough to take away from the joy of driving that car.

If it were me, I’d Plastidip the emblem. However, I do understand you wanting to stand on principal.

Perhaps a letter to the North America corporate office would help get your point across. In the end, you may not get the emblem replaced but at least you can make your point about the lack of customer service.

Jeff Bracken
Vice President
P.O. Box 2991-Mail Drop L201
Torrance, CA 90509-2991

By the way, you will love the BMW. Just make sure you sell it before the warranty wears out. Everything is super expensive to repair on those cars.
Old 03-28-14, 10:01 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+2... NO clear coat on any car are NOT affected by water spots. Buy any new car, put water on them, and leave it under the sun, it will etch your paint no matter what. That is why you NEVER want to wash your car when it is hot. This water spot is NOT related to Lexus clear coat quality. It is an inherent property in any clear coat out there. That is why YOU NEED to TAKE CARE of your car. If you know how to protect the paint, you will barely see any water spot. I have two Lexus one is 2 year old and one is 8 year old and none of them have any water spot whatover.

Anyways, this thread is going nowhere, as you Nebgry350 keeps complaining and complaining and complaining. If the small imperfect emblem and the water spots etching on the paint (because you don't know how to protect the paint) bother you sooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just sell it and buy a new one and good luck with finding "perfect" car that has "perfect" paint and condition on everything including emblem.

I kindly ask the mod to close this thread and stop everything right here.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
+1........... I never heard of anything like this in my 6 years on CL.
The only other real issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I also explained to Lexus in my complaint for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat.
Old 03-28-14, 10:16 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
+2... NO clear coat on any car are NOT affected by water spots. Buy any new car, put water on them, and leave it under the sun, it will etch your paint no matter what. That is why you NEVER want to wash your car when it is hot. This water spot is NOT related to Lexus clear coat quality. It is an inherent property in any clear coat out there. That is why YOU NEED to TAKE CARE of your car. If you know how to protect the paint, you will barely see any water spot. I have two Lexus one is 2 year old and one is 8 year old and none of them have any water spot whatover.

Anyways, this thread is going nowhere, as you Nebgry350 keeps complaining and complaining and complaining. If the small imperfect emblem and the water spots etching on the paint (because you don't know how to protect the paint) bother you sooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just sell it and buy a new one and good luck with finding "perfect" car that has "perfect" paint and condition on everything including emblem.

I kindly ask the mod to close this thread and stop everything right here.

Someone asked if I had any other issues that would cause me to want to switch manufacturers. I listed the concerns and said they weren't that big of a deal. I realize that no car is "perfect." And if you would have read what I posted you would have understood that. I take care of my car, and there are 3 Lexus vehicles in my household, one is a 2012 and two 2013. Also if you read my last post, you would have seen I attributed the water spot clear coat issue to EPA standards. I hand wash my car on a weekly basis, seal the paint on a bi-montly basis and clay bar and polish once per year. I would hardly consider that not taking care of a vehicle. Use a foam gun, two bucket wash method with grit guards and microfiber wash mits. So please take a seat when you say I don't know how to care for my vehicle. :thumb up:

And you can ask the for the thread to be closed, but if you don't want to read it don't come back and give your opinion. Maybe I should have just leased, or as I say "rented" the vehicle
Old 03-28-14, 10:21 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raybean
are you serious? You think Lexus should have your car repainted for free because you got rain water on your car? From reading this whole thread i come to believe your one of those people who can never be happy with anything. I think with cosmetics stuff if you didn't notice it the first week you had your brand new car they going to say you did it or come up with another excuse. Good luck to you.
No thats not what I said. I said I included it in my complaint to Lexus but did not claim it to be a warranty issue. I explained my OVERALL experience with the vehicle. The EXPERIENCE of ownership from the 9 months it took for the car to be built and shipped to my region. I special ordered this vehicle in June 2012 it arrived at my dealer January 4th, 2013. I gave Lexus my ownership story.... READ PEOPLE<<<<<<<<< READ! I never once asked for a repaint, never asked for the concern to be sent to Lexus, never pushed my dealer on the issue. I mentioned but didn't think it was a warranty issue.

The problem here is the people who have nothing of value to add about an experience with a Lexus warranty claim. Instead you are here to bash me for sending my customer experience to Lexus. You read only what you want to read and take away only what you want to take away. Please read the entire post before you respond.:thumb up: Or better yet, don't respond at all.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-28-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 10:39 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Nebgry350, other members do read and you are contradicting yourself.

Also, your thread is NOT adding any value to the community. You should stop complaining brahh brahhhh brahhhhh. If it bothers you too much, go take action and do something instead of complaining here all days long.

Mod, please close this thread from bumping up to the top.

" Originally Posted by Nebgry350
The only other REAL issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I ALSO explained to Lexus in my COMPLAINT for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat."
Old 03-28-14, 10:48 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

To each their own. And I already made inquiries today as to the availability and ordering of the 2015 M3.
You should totally do it! Lol.

A complicated high performance turbo motor from Germany? What could possibly go wrong...
Old 03-28-14, 10:49 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Nebgry350, other members do read and you are contradicting yourself.

Also, your thread is NOT adding any value to the community. You should stop complaining brahh brahhhh brahhhhh. If it bothers you too much, go take action and do something instead of complaining here all days long.

Mod, please close this thread from bumping up to the top.

" Originally Posted by Nebgry350
The only other REAL issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I ALSO explained to Lexus in my COMPLAINT for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat."
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were the CL queen. Where shall I send your crown?

"I think I have seen a few other threads on these forums of similar concerns, but I guess those who take their car through a car wash or have a lighter color vehicle wouldn't notice much. Again, this concern was never sent to Lexus, It's just an opinion with ownership. Acura before it didn't do it, this vehicle does, I'm not asking for warranty claim because of it.

I mentioned it to my dealer!!!! When I wrote the letter to Lexus regarding the arbitration stuff for the emblem replacement, I explained my overall satisfaction and experience with the vehicle. I didn't say, oh, also I feel you should repaint my car due to water spots. All I said is the 2008 Acura TLS I had prior to this IS, DIDNT HAVE THE SAME ISSUE! Paint has obviously changed since 2008. I only mentioned it to explain that it takes a little extra time to maintain this paint.
Old 03-28-14, 10:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

A complicated first year high performance turbo motor from Germany? What could possibly go wrong...
but at least after it rains and the drops dry, there won't be any water spots on the paint....
Old 03-28-14, 10:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Nebgry350, now this thread leads to name calling lol. Relax, relax, keyboard warrior I'm out of here now.
Old 03-28-14, 10:53 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

A complicated high performance turbo motor from Germany? What could possibly go wrong...
Ha exactly. Maybe I would get lucky and the floor mat would cause sudden unexplained acceleration as it did for Toyota. It makes a very compelling story when you get caught speeding. I've not seen many issues with the 335 turbo setup. Maybe to please you all I'll just consider taking public transit for the rest of my life, or perhaps I'll stick to my road bike and move to warmer climates. :thumb up:

I never said Lexus builds a $%*# car, maybe many of you took it the wrong way, but that was not the intent of this thread. I love the way my car drives, the way it handles, I've even had friends who drive American Muscle compliment the, as they call it, little V6. I said it before in this thread and will say it again, Lexus builds a great car!!!! Lexus earned their reputation by no mistake. While some may think the Koreans offer more bang for the buck, I believe you get a lot of car for the money with Lexus. I have nothing against Lexus, with exception to responding to a customer saying the only reason they won't do a warranty replacement is because its an expensive part.

So I came here to ask if anyone else has experienced a similar reason for a warranty concern from Lexus, and everyone turned this into an attack thread.

"Oh thats a wear issue, they shouldn't replace it"
"Something rubbed it, its a bogus claim"
"you don't know how to care for your vehicle"
"Lexus will be glad to get rid of you"

The basic reason for this thread was for others who have gone through warranty process over something similar to chime in. Did they get the same response, did they get a different response. Is that a common response? Thats all I wanted. Then I get chastised for following the instructions in the warranty manual. Get scolded for sending Lexus a letter explaining my overall experience with my vehicle since the day I picked it up. Does anyone know how vehicles become better? When the manufacturer can examine every single little issue owners have had and learn from them. If its something that could be changed in manufacturing or materials, the next redesign, they consider it! Sorry for being a picky %*#&$! Being slight OCD is not a blessing, what many of you say let go, I stare at endlessly and instead of driving my car and enjoying it, I look at that emblem.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-28-14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 10:54 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Nebgry350, now this thread leads to name calling lol. Relax, relax, keyboard warrior I'm out of here now.
I'll miss you
Old 03-28-14, 11:13 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha exactly. Maybe I would get lucky and the floor mat would cause sudden unexplained acceleration as it did for Toyota. It makes a very compelling story when you get caught speeding. I've not seen many issues with the 335 turbo setup. Maybe to please you all I'll just consider taking public transit for the rest of my life, or perhaps I'll stick to my road bike and move to warmer climates.
Well as a previous owner of a 335i I'll tell you what I did have to replace in my 45k mile ownership.

4 high pressure fuel pumps.
1 electric water pump
Passenger seat electric motor
Driver side mirror stopped working (replaced)
Rain sensing sensor, it started going crazy when it wasn't even raining.
Wastegates, both replaced.
VANOS solenoid started crapping out and was throwing errors but the car was bought back before it was replaced.

You think the scratch is bad on the Lexus emblem, the rubber coating on the audio controls on my 335i started literally peeling off @ 11k miles.

I must say, the service at BMW was top notch though, I was back so many times I became friends with the service writer who was also a car enthusiast that owned a sick modded 335i.

BMW never gave me any issues with warranty work and always provided me with a loaner, even though they all smelled like an ashtray for some reason.

I think you would be a perfect candidate as a BMW owner. They're probably used to seeing customers return on a regular basis for service/warranty and you seem to fit the bill.
Old 03-28-14, 11:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,399 Posts

As many of your responses are now becoming antagonistic when other members offer contrary opinions, I am closing this thread.

Good luck with your arbitration and resolution.