IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 04:47 AM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Token1
Going to necro this post but I'm looking for a solution. I see just two options, adapter plates meant for flushes from the g-tec store to detour trans fluid to a typical external cooler (and bypass the coolant lines) OR re-route the OEM coolant feed line to a cooler then back to the tranny so that at least the coolant is cooler before then cooling the trans. Any progress on the trans cooling front for the ISx50?
They seem to be two good options to consider.

My previous posts were as far as I came to a possible solution.

Ultimately I decided to sell the IS350 and buy a 2010 ISF ... whilst it was a solution of sorts, it certainly wasn’t the most cost effective!

Since changing to an ISF I have never lost any time out on track having to cool down the transmission, which was a big plus for me. This has resulted in at least twice the number of hot laps per session!

The other notable difference is just how much longer the brake rotors last on the ISF. The fronts last twice as long, but given I also get more than double the number of hot laps per session, in reality they are lasting four times as long. The front track brake pads (Project Mu RC09’s) last the same time ... generally 4 track days, but again I am getting twice the distance out of them due to more than double the number of hot laps. The rear rotors I have yet to change and the same Project MU RC09 track pads last double the number of track days, but again with more than double the number of hot laps that really equates to four times the distance.

Anyway good luck with exploring your options!
Old 06-11-19, 08:53 AM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SydneyAust
They seem to be two good options to consider.

My previous posts were as far as I came to a possible solution.

Ultimately I decided to sell the IS350 and buy a 2010 ISF ... whilst it was a solution of sorts, it certainly wasn’t the most cost effective!

Since changing to an ISF I have never lost any time out on track having to cool down the transmission, which was a big plus for me. This has resulted in at least twice the number of hot laps per session!

The other notable difference is just how much longer the brake rotors last on the ISF. The fronts last twice as long, but given I also get more than double the number of hot laps per session, in reality they are lasting four times as long. The front track brake pads (Project Mu RC09’s) last the same time ... generally 4 track days, but again I am getting twice the distance out of them due to more than double the number of hot laps. The rear rotors I have yet to change and the same Project MU RC09 track pads last double the number of track days, but again with more than double the number of hot laps that really equates to four times the distance.

Anyway good luck with exploring your options!
ISF sounds like the best solution . Well done, plus from looking into my issue I saw the ISF has an external cooler so even if you ran into heat issues it's an easy upgrade.

I think I will explore routing the coolant lines to a cooler rated for radiator fluid. Heater cores would be perfect and cheap, but bulky.

Last edited by Token1; 06-11-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 11:00 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Rather than add a 2nd radiator (which is what you would be doing by adding an inline "transmission" cooler) why not just a radiator with more cooling capacity? That way both the engine and transmission can take advantage of more cooling capacity. http://www.koyoradracing.com/product...asp?make=Lexus
Old 06-11-19, 11:21 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

IS-F upgrade aside, (nice!!!)....

A word of warning, do not direct connect your trans to an external cooler. It will increase the wear while not at operating temperature. Because of this it will also build up and retain more moisture (depending on use and environment) until it hits and retains operating temp ~177 to 200F. Old days before lock up torque converters the converter always slipped so there was plenty heat from slipping before and after reaching stall speed. These days not so much. FWIW I used rebuild these things so I have some experience here. Not just making **** up... lol

The parts list above is only missing the right angle fittings that screws into the trans. That aside that truck cooler is way over kill for most of us unless you track your vehicle or place the cooler somewhere with little air flow.. There are plenty of cooler options available just make sure it is for transmission. If I were to do this I would route steel lines forward vs running hose. Just make sure all hose fittings are barbed or you risk blow off under load.

Also keep in mind you will need some good quality fittings for the return path on your engine coolant. Try to avoid plastic as the exhaust heat will take its toll on it.
Old 06-11-19, 11:29 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Another thought is to actually monitor it before doing this work. I'm told OBD Fusion app does this. Can someone verify?
Old 06-11-19, 08:51 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do install an external cooler you can install a thermostat like this:
Amazon Amazon
inline so you can get proper warm up.
Old 06-12-19, 06:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
If you do install an external cooler you can install a thermostat like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XONNRQ/ inline so you can get proper warm up.
^^ Nice find. $100 cheaper than OEM. The only down side is not being able to manually purge it like the OEM allows.

When I first looked into this I could have sworn I found Toyota truck part (tow package only) that did both heating and diversion that fit the A760 trans. The PN above is a 2 year only that can also be found on the SR5 addition and Sequoia of 06 07. That said I think the other is out there, we just have to find it.
Old 06-12-19, 08:04 AM
mbski
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Another thought is to actually monitor it before doing this work. I'm told OBD Fusion app does this. Can someone verify?
Yes, OBD Fusion can read the pan temp...It's listed as 'A/T Oil Temperature 1' under 'Electronic Controlled Transmission' in Toyota, Lexus, Scion add on PIDs. Mine reached 210F just on the drive to work this morning.

The following users liked this post:
redspencer (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 10:37 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by mbski
Yes, OBD Fusion can read the pan temp...It's listed as 'A/T Oil Temperature 1' under 'Electronic Controlled Transmission' in Toyota, Lexus, Scion add on PIDs. Mine reached 210F just on the drive to work this morning.
Thanks for the well timed input. This morning I was on OBD Fusion comparing the readings from the Engine Coolant Temps to the readings found under the ECT coolant temps. Unfortunately, it looked like the app was reading the data from the same sensor as I found the two readings to be either exactly the same or slightly off by 2-5 degrees (which is probably also what occurs when trying to obtain the A/T temp reading using Torque Pro).

After reading your post, I added the A/T oil temp reading display to the my dashboard and it appears to vary temp degrees by a decent amount to consider it reading from a different sensor source (bottom left is my A/T oil temp display in comparison to the other two coolant displays).

Last edited by redspencer; 06-12-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 12:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

In general, watch it during start up. Coolant will hit 185F well before the trans.
Then if you feel like raising the trans temp, power brake it (in gear, stopped, brakes applied, throttle applied) even 60 seconds at 1800rpm will jack up the trans temp.

Thanks for post Red. Do you have the Toyata pack add on?
As stated, Torque P simply mirrors coolant. So that's not helpful.
Old 06-12-19, 04:25 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow so many good replies, thanks all!

Yeah for sure do not want to over cool, this was a concern of mine when putting in a giant Hayden on my truck, but I put it in series with the radiator trans core so it wouldn't get out of hand.

I'm not confident an upgraded radiator would make a good effect as I imagine the puck gets coolant from the thermostatically controlled portion of coolant. I think if anything going to a cooler thermostat would be more effective but I'd like to keep OEM engine temps for desired efficiency.

X2 my torque app is simply listing the coolant sensor output as trans temp, there should be a pid that can fix this...

Google pics of heater cores, lots of affordable thin cores out there. Unfortunately one does not have a choice to run it pre or post OEM radiator like typically cooled trans, it will have to be post output and could possibly over cool at times. I'm going to look into those amazon thermostats.

I'm agreeing there must be some OEM parts out there that allows an external cooler to be integrated with all of the other applications that use this trans family...
Old 06-12-19, 05:26 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
In general, watch it during start up. Coolant will hit 185F well before the trans.
Then if you feel like raising the trans temp, power brake it (in gear, stopped, brakes applied, throttle applied) even 60 seconds at 1800rpm will jack up the trans temp.

Thanks for post Red. Do you have the Toyata pack add on?
As stated, Torque P simply mirrors coolant. So that's not helpful.
I do have the Lexus/Toyota PID add-on for OBD Fusion which I've used extensively for recording my KCLV readings.

I did another cold start observation this afternoon and verified that the engine coolant temp reading reached operational temperature several minutes before the A/T oil temp display did which indicates that the app is indeed displaying the transmission temperature.

Start-up

Near operating temperatures

Operating temperatures
Old 06-12-19, 07:20 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Token1
Wow so many good replies, thanks all!

Yeah for sure do not want to over cool, this was a concern of mine when putting in a giant Hayden on my truck, but I put it in series with the radiator trans core so it wouldn't get out of hand.

I'm not confident an upgraded radiator would make a good effect as I imagine the puck gets coolant from the thermostatically controlled portion of coolant. I think if anything going to a cooler thermostat would be more effective but I'd like to keep OEM engine temps for desired efficiency.

X2 my torque app is simply listing the coolant sensor output as trans temp, there should be a pid that can fix this...

Google pics of heater cores, lots of affordable thin cores out there. Unfortunately one does not have a choice to run it pre or post OEM radiator like typically cooled trans, it will have to be post output and could possibly over cool at times. I'm going to look into those amazon thermostats.

I'm agreeing there must be some OEM parts out there that allows an external cooler to be integrated with all of the other applications that use this trans family...

The part above recirculates oil to the trans until it needs cooled. That said I think one exists that heats and bypasses for cooling. And this is just me but I'll take a new oem over ebay part on something like this. Maybe add an electronic gauge to the cabin too. But I don't track her so less of a need.
Old 01-31-20, 04:55 AM
veespather
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. new here. Please help. whining sound that speeds up as revs increase. not sure whether transmission or engine. 102000 kms.
Old 12-19-20, 05:43 PM
NowSlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

At post 23, a screen shot shows instrument displays on a navigation screen. Does anyone know how to make that happen?

Last edited by NowSlow; 12-19-20 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler