IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam recall nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 06:31 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cam recall nightmare!!

I had my recall done back on 11.7.13 and beside the filthy loaner LV Lexus provided me everything else was great. I did noticed some engine hesitation every now and then when stepping on the gas but I figured it had new parts and since I rarely use my car (its a weekend car) and it sit all winter the gas was bad or something so I gave it the benefit of doubt.

That was until this weekend when I decided to change the driving light bulbs to LED type. I removed the beauty covers and decided to work on the pass side which looked to be the easy one to do when I noticed duck tape on my Fujita intake.............YES I said DUCK TAPE!!

I scratched my head and was like wait a minute here.

I had installed the intake myself and no one else has worked on my engine other than Lexus LV.

When I took a closer look the piece of metal that ties the intake to the body of the car was broken off and it created a hole say 1/2" x .1.0" so the creative mechanic at Lexus taped it off and covered everything back thinking no one will see it???

I am beyond pissed!! Now I know why the engine hesitation this whole time as the tape was not covering the hole entirely.

I called and left a message waiting to hear back from the dealer as they do no do service over the weekends.

Cell pic

I also found numerous clips missing from the engine beauty covers simply not acceptable!!
Old 05-19-14, 07:36 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^I wish you the best of luck. Usually when work is perform and customer picks it up, you have to go over the car to check it out before signing release papers. I had something like that happen to my 06 VW GLI. I had it in due to a divertor valve issue. It was cover under warranty. Luckly I check the engine and found my oil cap broken in 3 pieces. I immediately contacted the receptionist and the mechanic came out with a new oil cap. I was furious they were going to let me drive like that. Good thing I checked it out before I signed the papers.
Old 05-19-14, 08:27 AM
user 692802
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost same problem with "service" dept. broke something and they tried to cover it up, went to corporate with concerns instead dealership and fixed within week, think the dealership would have gave me the runaround otherwise
Old 05-19-14, 08:50 AM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dang bro that sucks...but....I dont think a hole in an intake pipe will cause hesitation...unless you are getting debris clogging up your TB or MAF.
Old 05-19-14, 09:16 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default ...............

Originally Posted by Joelseff
Dang bro that sucks...but....I dont think a hole in an intake pipe will cause hesitation...unless you are getting debris clogging up your TB or MAF.
The hole is before the sensor and when the engine sucks air in it is not metered thats what I think is causing issues and check engine light right after.

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 05-19-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 01:15 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

^Agreed! Take the car back ASAP with a print out of what a new intake pipe will cost.

GL!
Old 05-19-14, 01:49 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is what happens when the intake pipe, metal or rubber, has a leak. The car will hesitate when stepping on the gas pedal, etc.

I had a similar situation after having the recall done. When I got home, I popped the hood to check the engine bay, and there it was, my silver engine cover was damaged and to top it off, they tried to super glue together, "thinking no one would notice." Sound familiar? That same day, I drove right back to the dealership and tore them a new one. After 5 minutes of talking with the service advisor and the mechanic, they ordered a new engine cover and gave me a free certificate for a full detail worth $180.

As stated before, take the car back ASAP with a print out of what a new intake will cost.
Old 05-19-14, 02:32 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default ...............

Originally Posted by DryEye
That is what happens when the intake pipe, metal or rubber, has a leak. The car will hesitate when stepping on the gas pedal, etc.

I had a similar situation after having the recall done. When I got home, I popped the hood to check the engine bay, and there it was, my silver engine cover was damaged and to top it off, they tried to super glue together, "thinking no one would notice." Sound familiar? That same day, I drove right back to the dealership and tore them a new one. After 5 minutes of talking with the service advisor and the mechanic, they ordered a new engine cover and gave me a free certificate for a full detail worth $180.

As stated before, take the car back ASAP with a print out of what a new intake will cost.
Guess what??? My damn engine cover is also BROKEN!!! I just looked!!!

Damn this is getting worse by the minute!!!

I am glad you made me look at this...........

I already called Lehigh Valley Lexus and they will pick up the car at work tomorrow....

I will print the value of a new Fujita Intake.
Old 05-20-14, 08:44 AM
ranma21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is unbelievable with a ****ty Lexus dealer!! I had an experience that they forgot to install the TPMS harness behind the radio after they replaced the radio under warranty. And they blamed me stating that the tire place messed up the sensors when replacing the tires. Fact is the light wasn't on when the car goes in. Full of **** when another Lexus dealer found the problem that the dealer messed up!!
Old 05-20-14, 09:23 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I got my car back once with a broken tab on my headlight and these morons at the dealership claimed my car was in a front collision. My car was never in a front collision of any kind and there is not a scratch on the bumper and I know for a fact those rat bastards broke my tab.

At the end of the day they didn't budge but I NEVER went back to those incompetent jackasses again. On top of it they wanted my permission to take the bumper off and check for damaged components behind the bumper. Goddamn thieves!
Old 05-20-14, 11:49 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I lucked out and "only" had one plastic retaining tab broken during my cam rattle recall servicing. Engine cover and SRI pipe are still fully intact.
Old 05-20-14, 12:01 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
The hole is before the sensor and when the engine sucks air in it is not metered thats what I think is causing issues and check engine light right after.
ahh gotcha...Hope you get your car squared away.
Old 05-20-14, 02:33 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default ..............

Update,
8:30 am they picked up my car left me with a 2013 RX350 loaner because they said they did not have an IS available.

I printed the cost of a new Fujita intake which I handed over to the guy who picked up my car.

Around 10 am the service manager called me and said yes our mechanic did taped the intake and he still remembered the car.................he claimed "it was already broken off"...........I told him there is NO WAY that was broken because the car would have never made it to the dealer the day of the recall repair. I live a good 35 mins away from them via highway 78 and its a 65mph highway which I remember driving smoothly. The size of the hole would have caused all sorts of issues during my drive.

He said his mechanic told the service writer about it but the service writer forgot to write the remarks on the receipt and report it.

I told him that it is good business practice to inform the owners of any damages caused by them or even as received PRIOR to working on the car.

If indeed the intake was broken the mechanic would have informed the service manager. Yet the manager had no idea this took place until I told him.

This whole thing smells shady if you ask me.....

He said because I was never informed of this it was on them (Lexus dealer) and asked if they could weld the intake to fix it or get me a new one. I told him I wanted the intake the way it was and only a new one will do. He said he will keep my car and have a new one overnight to them.

I was so upset I forgot to tell him they also broke my engine cover I am sure this is not going to end anytime soon.

He said that the reason the intake broke was because the way it is attached to the car, I told him I can give him a list of hundreds of IS owners who have the same Fujita intake with no issues and that the intake is designed the way it is. It is also a premium intake not your ebay $50 type.
Old 05-20-14, 04:06 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I hope everything works out ok.
Old 05-21-14, 06:15 AM
segs
Driver School Candidate

I had a bad experience with my local Lexus dealership. I had a 99 GS300 with 225,000 miles on it and I took it into Lexus to have the timing belt replaced. The car ran great and engine was quiet. A couple of days later they called me stating that a bolt hole was stripped on my oil pump and that I needed to replace it. A few days later I picked my car up and it felt like I had lost some power. Well a day later the red oil light came on due to loss of oil pressure and the car shut off on me. Lexus towed it away to see what the problem was. The service advisor called me back a day later stating that everything they put on was completed correctly. I told him that how can the oil pump being replaced not effect the car not having oil pressure. All he would say it that there is nothing wrong with the install or the parts installed. That my car lost oil pressure due to the high mileage on the motor. I went back and forth with them for 2 weeks before I decided to just buy a IS250 instead of putting 3k into fixing the damage cause by running the engine with no oil pressure. The upside is that I have a newer car but the downside is I now have a car payment. I will never take my car back to the dealership unless it's for warranty repair.

Quick Reply: Cam recall nightmare!!