IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Incorrect Service History -- Deletable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-14, 03:21 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Incorrect Service History -- Deletable?

Hey all,

I brought my car in around 35k for an AC issue. This particular (one that I don't normally go to) dealership was clearly clueless and gave me a completely incorrect diagnosis about why my AC is not working. They said that the "AC blower door motor was broken." Anyway, I brought the car to my go-to dealership and they got it fixed saying that the previous dealership's assessment was incorrect.

Is there anyway to get them to amend the service history? Suppose down the line I want to sell my car and such. I don't want incorrect info to be posted.

Just wondering!

Thanks!
Old 06-11-14, 04:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I believe any Lexus dealer can edit the authorized service records on the computer. Whether the will is another question. Your best bet is to go back to the place that got the diagnosis wrong and show them what was done to correct the original problem.
Old 06-11-14, 06:46 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I was told that once the data is entered they cannot change it. I asked specifically about this because I had my car the local Lexus dealership for an alignment or something and they accidentally marked the miles down at like 63k, when really it was <40k. Luckily the car had to return the dealership for several recalls and such and they inputted the correct mileage; so that one incorrect entry looks out of place, and when that entry is taken out of the listing, the vehicle has normal mileage and service history.
Old 06-11-14, 08:48 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can always ask your go-to dealership to put a note on their service saying the first dealership had incorrectly diagnose the problem. This would put any future potential buyers at ease.
Old 06-12-14, 05:27 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The history of both dealers should show if anyone were to look it up so they should see the correction from the second dealer.

As far as editing a past RO...highly highly unlikely. I work for a software company that designs software specifically and only for dealerships. Editing any history in our software is not possible due to liability reasons. What good would history records be if they could be edited and manipulated.
Old 06-12-14, 09:19 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Changing the service history is NOT something easily done, it takes Lexus Corp. to approve a change and they don't like to get into this aspect of ownership for obvious reasons. It would have to be a compelling reason and your situation doesn't even come close. It's not that big a deal if an incorrect diagnosis was made as it is part of the record as to what was done on the vehicle....so you'll have to live with it. Highly unlikely that it affects it's value one way or the other.
Old 06-12-14, 09:20 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I believe any Lexus dealer can edit the authorized service records on the computer. Whether the will is another question. Your best bet is to go back to the place that got the diagnosis wrong and show them what was done to correct the original problem.
Well, you believe wrong, it is not possible for a Lexus dealer to edit this data.
Old 06-12-14, 04:20 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Well, you believe wrong, it is not possible for a Lexus dealer to edit this data.
Well, let's wait and see what the OP hears from his dealer, eh?
Old 06-13-14, 09:43 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I was told that once the data is entered they cannot change it. I asked specifically about this because I had my car the local Lexus dealership for an alignment or something and they accidentally marked the miles down at like 63k, when really it was <40k. Luckily the car had to return the dealership for several recalls and such and they inputted the correct mileage; so that one incorrect entry looks out of place, and when that entry is taken out of the listing, the vehicle has normal mileage and service history.
You should run a carfax on your car, they might report that as Odometer fraud as something similar happend to my dad with his previoud truck.