IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can Lexus dealership refuse performing recall service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 02:39 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Lexus dealership refuse performing recall service?

Was just looking into recalls on Lexus|Drivers, looks like there is a recall for
the VVT on the '06, and some other minor ones. According to the service history,
these recalls weren't taken care of.

Can a dealership refuse to perform service of recalls? I was reading Yelp reviews of
the only Lexus dealership in my area and there were some situations where people were
being refused recall service or getting the run around for months and years.
Old 06-27-14, 02:41 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple answer is No they cannot. If they do, complain it to the Corp or just go to another dealership.
Old 06-27-14, 02:45 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why wouldn't you just call and ask them first?

My dealer seemed more than happy to perform my recalls. Have an appointment booked for next week.
Old 06-27-14, 03:26 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in saudi arabia and I use my US IS350 here, the dealer says we won't even accept serving your car. Also he said we don't have VVT recalls

f*** this ****. And guess what, we have only one dealer and he makes out the most sales of Toyota cars due to high demand in my area
Old 06-27-14, 05:48 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

It depends, sort of.

If a car is written off, and it's not a safety recall, then yes, they will refuse.

If a car is not written off, the only one legally obligated to perform recall work is the distributor that sold the car I believe. Canada/USA have an arrangement to do warranty work on each other's cars, but most other distributors do not. This includes Hawaii, which is not supplied by Lexus USA, but rather by a different distributor altogether.

If you are in Hawaii (or another country besides Canada), with a Lexus sold by Lexus USA, you likely cannot get any warranty work done without paying out of pocket and trying to get reimbursed by the distributor that sold the car (Lexus USA in this hypothetical).

Jeff
Old 06-27-14, 08:47 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have to perform the recalls. If the car was purchased used it's possible the last owner never had them done.
Old 06-27-14, 09:17 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

To follow up on jeff, I just did a quick search for recall campaigns on the toyota website where you enter your VIN and it says "recall and service campaign information for Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles registered in the 48 U.S. contiguous states and Alaska" so I assume Is not included on these recalls hence the refusal.
Old 06-27-14, 10:10 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

I am in Hawaii. So you're telling me they won't perform service
for a safety recall? There has to be a way to do this.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
It depends, sort of.

If a car is written off, and it's not a safety recall, then yes, they will refuse.

If a car is not written off, the only one legally obligated to perform recall work is the distributor that sold the car I believe. Canada/USA have an arrangement to do warranty work on each other's cars, but most other distributors do not. This includes Hawaii, which is not supplied by Lexus USA, but rather by a different distributor altogether.

If you are in Hawaii (or another country besides Canada), with a Lexus sold by Lexus USA, you likely cannot get any warranty work done without paying out of pocket and trying to get reimbursed by the distributor that sold the car (Lexus USA in this hypothetical).

Jeff
Old 06-27-14, 11:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

It depends if the car was sold by a Hawaii dealer or not.

Was your car sold originally in Hawaii, or was it brought in from the mainland?

Jeff
Old 06-28-14, 01:13 AM
DonLex123
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
To follow up on jeff, I just did a quick search for recall campaigns on the toyota website where you enter your VIN and it says "recall and service campaign information for Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles registered in the 48 U.S. contiguous states and Alaska" so I assume Is not included on these recalls hence the refusal.
I don't think they have any recall info for Lexus vehicles on Toyota's website even if though they mention Lexus in the VIN section. If you go to recalls and then FAQ it states:

I have a Lexus vehicle and I do not see which recalls my vehicle in involved in. Why?

Currently our VIN Recall lookup only supports Toyota and Scion vehicles. To check for open recalls on your Lexus vehicle, please visit Lexus Drivers.
Old 06-28-14, 09:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
Was just looking into recalls on Lexus|Drivers, looks like there is a recall for
the VVT on the '06, and some other minor ones. According to the service history,
these recalls weren't taken care of.

Can a dealership refuse to perform service of recalls? I was reading Yelp reviews of
the only Lexus dealership in my area and there were some situations where people were
being refused recall service or getting the run around for months and years.
Maybe those people were complaining about TSBs, not recalls. The dealer can refuse to perform those if they don't replicate the issue, or some of the TSBs only apply during the warranty period.
Old 06-28-14, 09:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in Hawaii. So you're telling me they won't perform service
for a safety recall? There has to be a way to do this.
Why don't you tell us what the specific issue is? Might help the discussion.
Old 06-28-14, 03:24 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why don't you tell us what the specific issue is? Might help the discussion.
The specific issue is the VVT safety recall. Your car doesn't have to be symptomatic
to get a recall done for a safety issue I'm guessing?
Old 06-28-14, 03:27 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

I called the only Lexus dealership in my state, and the lady said all the recalls have already
been taken care of for my vehicle. But she did not mention the VVT one in what was
completed.

Is it possible only some '06 vehicles were affected by this particular recall and some were not.
Appreciate the input!
Old 06-28-14, 04:12 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonLex123
I don't think they have any recall info for Lexus vehicles on Toyota's website even if though they mention Lexus in the VIN section. If you go to recalls and then FAQ it states:

I have a Lexus vehicle and I do not see which recalls my vehicle in involved in. Why?

Currently our VIN Recall lookup only supports Toyota and Scion vehicles. To check for open recalls on your Lexus vehicle, please visit Lexus Drivers.

I called the only Lexus dealership in my state, and the lady said all the recalls have already
been taken care of for my vehicle. But she did not mention the VVT one in what was
completed.

Is it possible only some '06 vehicles were affected by this particular recall and some were not.
Appreciate the input!
Lexus is a a Toyota brand so you should be able to look up recalls by the VIN on the toyota, or lexus website. Are you using a dealership website or the Toyota of America website? Also remember Recalls of vehicles goes by vin count so when they say 23,000 vehicles are effected, it is counted by VIN number. So JTHxxxxxx000001 to JTHxxxxxxxx23000 are vehicles that are affected so if you have vehicle 23,001 then you technically don't qualify for any recall. Issues could be corrected in house by factory so an early 2009 vehicle can be different than a late 2009 vehicle. If that makes any sense.

Also like jeff said, it depends on who the distributor is. Toyota if North America covers these recalls so if the dealer /distribitor is not toyota of north america then the car wont qualify for any North american recalls. For Example, A guy in Saudi Arabia tried to get a carbon buildup recall done since his car was a north american car but the lexus dealership looked at him like he was crazy because they never heard of any carbon build up recall. Lexus of UAE doesnt speak with Lexus if NA

Last edited by NYKnick101; 06-28-14 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Can Lexus dealership refuse performing recall service?