IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A New Lexus Owner - From M3 to IS350 - Saying Hello :)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 03:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragger
Great advice bud. Although I don't mind the steering or the handling too much, not the most aggressive out there, I guess :P. But do you know what those two mods cost and their difficulty in installs?

I really wanna do the spoiler, absolutely first.

And this is just a clarifying question - People always told me to get an 07 in order to use a button to turn off Traction control. On my 06, there is a a Traction control button there. Is that normal? Can I turn it off with that, or is the "Paddle Dance" referring to something else?

Thank you again for all the love, excited to be here !
you have to do pedal dance on 06, 07+ you dont have to. If you can find a skid control computer from an 07+ you can swap that in to get rid of having to do pedal dance. There are a few on ebay now but need to find out which part number is the 07+

sway bars are easy to install, but if this car came from a salty area the sway end links might have seized if you try to take them off. Some people buy new ones to swap in. Ignoring any seizure you should be able to do sway bars in under 2.5 hours. The steering ECU you have to get calibrated at the dealer but the actual part swap is easy, its under the battery.

register your username at sewell to get a discount off parts. If you want to see sway bar installation instructions they are there. It isnt that difficult. Helps a lot if you had ramps and impact tools
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/5408.html

2011 ISF steering ECU, I believe when you put the car into ECT Power mode, the steering wheel will tighten.
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/5645.html
Old 08-07-14, 03:41 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-07-14, 04:09 PM
IS250Llama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fragger!

Here is the link to the OEM Silver Tungsten Pearl Painted spoiler on Ebay, sold by oemthing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIP-OUT-TOD...-/231267368805

I just ordered it as my first mod for my 2007 TP 250, and it was a breeze to install. The paint match was perfect out of the box, but after additional research, I have found that others on the forums have noticed a color fade on these aftermarket parts after just a few years, due to the quality of the clear coat and paint most likely. Still a great buy @ $88!

For installation, just make sure not to get the double sided tape too close to the edges, or it will create a cap against the car.

Check out my intro post if you want to see what black badges, and 35% tinted windows will look like on your new IS with that OEM spoiler :-)
Old 08-07-14, 04:18 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratulations.

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 08-07-14, 05:21 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey bro ... Paul Tran's screen name is redline26
He's good people
Old 08-07-14, 10:38 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you have to do pedal dance on 06, 07+ you dont have to. If you can find a skid control computer from an 07+ you can swap that in to get rid of having to do pedal dance. There are a few on ebay now but need to find out which part number is the 07+

sway bars are easy to install, but if this car came from a salty area the sway end links might have seized if you try to take them off. Some people buy new ones to swap in. Ignoring any seizure you should be able to do sway bars in under 2.5 hours. The steering ECU you have to get calibrated at the dealer but the actual part swap is easy, its under the battery.

register your username at sewell to get a discount off parts. If you want to see sway bar installation instructions they are there. It isnt that difficult. Helps a lot if you had ramps and impact tools

2011 ISF steering ECU, I believe when you put the car into ECT Power mode, the steering wheel will tighten.

Yep! Noticeable difference too. I'm really not regretting spending the money on the isf ecu.
Old 08-08-14, 07:15 AM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by lysis250
CCJ22, SFFD103, Juvi22003, sm1ke, these are all members that I can think off the top of my head, they all either had or have them on their cars. If you look them up you can find pics on here somewhere.
Thanks a lot bud! Got to see CCJ22's pictures, and read some very positive feedback on them, so those are definitely on my list of things to get. Have you seen any DIYs for them? If so, please point me to them, thank you again.

Thank you for the very informative post, friend. What I am confused about is that on my 06, I do have the Traction Control button. Wouldn't that turn it off? If so, what is the Pedal Dance for (to turn off what?)?

F-Sport Sway bars seem to be a very popular, and a bang for the buck kind of a mod around here. Will definitely check it out. For now, the handling is quite fine for me. If you see a link for DIY for it, please share it.

Oh and the steering calibration at the Dealer for the ISF ECU, any idea what that costs? And what happens if it's not calibrated? Is the car still drivable?

Originally Posted by IS250Llama
Hey Fragger!

Here is the link to the OEM Silver Tungsten Pearl Painted spoiler on Ebay, sold by oemthing:

I just ordered it as my first mod for my 2007 TP 250, and it was a breeze to install. The paint match was perfect out of the box, but after additional research, I have found that others on the forums have noticed a color fade on these aftermarket parts after just a few years, due to the quality of the clear coat and paint most likely. Still a great buy @ $88!

For installation, just make sure not to get the double sided tape too close to the edges, or it will create a cap against the car.

Check out my intro post if you want to see what black badges, and 35% tinted windows will look like on your new IS with that OEM spoiler :-)
Very helpful post Llama, thank you! Your 250 looks great with the lip and the black badges, not quite sure if I will go that route. But I am considering tinting, due to that horrendous melting dash issue we have !

I have never really installed anything on a car before or worked with the 3M tape before. Can you please point me to a DIY guide or a video you used to install the spoiler? BTW, I ordered mine last night !!!

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Congratulations.

Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks Need4Speed! Such a nice crowd here!

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Hey bro ... Paul Tran's screen name is redline26
He's good people
Thank you Mike! I found Paul here, just need to message him now, I guess. He doesn't own an IS though? Hopefully he can connect me with some more good people who can help me get on my feet with this modding business . Thank you again !
Old 08-08-14, 08:29 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah he has a GS but he's connected pretty well in the Phili area so he can get you introduced to some folks.
Old 08-08-14, 08:49 AM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS250Llama
Hey Fragger!

Two more questions for you Llama:

1. The black badges you have, did you order them from Ebay, or you plastidipped them yourself or something? If Ebay, do you have a link?

2. Have you thought about the ISF Black front grill for your car? I wonder what kind of a install that is ?

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Yeah he has a GS but he's connected pretty well in the Phili area so he can get you introduced to some folks.
Mike, dropping a note to him right after this... hopefully I don't feel so lost after connecting with him . Thank you again!
Old 08-08-14, 08:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

TC button in 06 does not disable traction control. You can press it but it reactivates after 30 mph or something. Its intended so you can get out of snow or mud. Pedal dance disables TC until the car turns off. But getting the 07+ skid control computer lets you disable it by holding the button down for a few seconds which is what the pedal dance did before.

Recalibration for steering ECU shouldnt be that much, takes them a few minutes to do. Position wont be calibrated I think and the car doesnt know where the center of the steering wheel is.

The sway bar link at sewell has the installation instructions so you can get an idea of its difficulty which its not.
Old 08-08-14, 09:25 AM
Fragger
Rookie

TC button in 06 does not disable traction control. You can press it but it reactivates after 30 mph or something. Its intended so you can get out of snow or mud. Pedal dance disables TC until the car turns off. But getting the 07+ skid control computer lets you disable it by holding the button down for a few seconds which is what the pedal dance did before.

Recalibration for steering ECU shouldnt be that much, takes them a few minutes to do. Position wont be calibrated I think and the car doesnt know where the center of the steering wheel is.

The sway bar link at sewell has the installation instructions so you can get an idea of its difficulty which its not.
Thanks 4TehNguyen! That was very helpful information!

About the Steering ECU and the car not knowing the center of the steering wheel... isn't that like a serious concern ?
Old 08-08-14, 10:33 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ya, I would say what's up to Paul. He's a part of Liberty Vip so he probably knows just about everyone locally in the vip game. Yes, get red pre-cut out lights to cover up your orange light on the tails. Buy the trunk lip at Bayson R Motorsport's site: http://www.baysonr.com/06_12_Lexus_I...r-is350-pu.htm. Well I've never bought anything off it personally but someone on clublexus bought a roof spoiler from them and is shipping it to me. My friend also has it and it fits really well. Some other advice, get HID low beam and fogs!! Big difference in car look. There's a buncha discounts you can get just from being a member on clublexus. Sewell, a site that sells pretty much all lexus parts gives you a huge discount if you sign up using your clublexus username. And if you're into body kits, 06-08 is the best year for mods just because most of the aftermarket stuff is only supportive of these years.
Old 08-09-14, 07:52 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Guys,

As you guys may have noticed, I have been asked a lot of questions or seeking opinions on different 350s over the course of last few weeks.

Well, yesterday, the conversion was completed and I finally became a proud owner of an 06, One Owner, IS350, all options but Spoiler, ML, and Radar Cruise, with 99K miles on it!

She looks to be very well kept, good maintenance history. Paid 13.5K (Thoughts)?

Anyway, I am just saying Hello and really wanted to see if I can connect with some local friends from the Philadelphia area? I just want to say Hello, stay in touch, learn about my car and etc. So if you are from Philadelphia or close to it, please PM me and hopefully we can become friends .

I want to drop some things right off the bat for my car, may you guys can chime in or help?:

1. I noticed the sticky dash issue right away on my way back ! Thinking of buying a Windshield shade, but this cannot be good, since I don't have a garage right now ! What else can I do?

2. I want to install the OEM style lip/spoiler. Don't really care about the quality too, too much. Can anyone point me to the best Replica they might have bought from EBay, painted? And any help on who can help me install it? Sounds like it doesn't require drilling.

3. I saw some cool LED tail lights on EBay for about $200 and some dollars. Has anyone tried these? I would LOVE to get the 09 or 10 +, is it? But I hear they are not plug and play for 06 - 08? And again, anyone who can help me install them?

I am REALLY excited and happy about my decision, but the bad news is, I am completely useless when it comes to DIY and don't have a working area or tools.

Thank you everyone who has helped me to arrive at this decision so far and thank you to many others in advance for your help in the future!

Attaching a quick picture as well .
Welcome aboard! That was a good price to me. I paid 12,900K for my '06 IS250 AWD with 102K. Keep us posted of your mods.
Old 08-10-14, 11:46 AM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Welcome to the forums
Old 08-10-14, 02:12 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

About the Steering ECU and the car not knowing the center of the steering wheel... isn't that like a serious concern ?
It's been a mixed bag on how the car will react initially with an uncalibrated IS-F Steering ECU installed. When I installed mine, I had absolutely no issues with driving the car around the neighborhood for my test drive as well as 20 minutes to the dealership for my steering calibration appointment. Recently, there have been a few CL members that have had issues with the P/S not operating after the IS-F Steering ECU was installed.

Since it only takes a few minutes to swap out the Steering ECUs under the battery compartment, you can do the mod next to the dealership and then bring it in for the calibration afterwards (if you want to choose the safe route). The mod is well worth the money though.

Quick Reply: A New Lexus Owner - From M3 to IS350 - Saying Hello :)...