IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus newbie - Navigation issues...plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 01:10 PM
Dalvarez78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus newbie - Navigation issues...plz help

Well, I finally entered the "Lexus world"...haha. My entry car into the club is a 2006 Lexus is 250. She's a beauty for sure. I haven't experienced anything super negative.... I have noticed the famous cold start "rattle" at times, but considering it's nothing that is supposed to damage the engine, I kinda have the mentality of "if it's not broke - don't fix it".....because once opening up that engine, I would hate to then start having problems. It doesn't do it all the time anyway, it's not loud and honestly it doesn't bother me....

The one thing that is annoying is the navigation system. Everything works right except the basic map setting. I noticed when I bought the car that it didn't automatically pick up on "where I was".... I changed the home setting and erased the previous "memory" spots and that seemed to work for about 2 days. Then one morning I go out and boom, it's showing a completely different part of the city.... This of course affects the GPS (as it can't calculate routes correctly)... But I don't understand why it doesn't recognize where I'm at??? Is this an easy fix - something I'm looking over within the Navigation settings, or am I needing a Navigation update???

Ok, this is a very stupid question I'm sure, but none of my previous vehicles have had navigation. (I promise I'm an intelligent person...lol) - Does the CD supposed to stay in the navigation system (player)?? I ask because the CD is actually in my manual book binder...

So that's pretty much it... Other than that, I'm a completely happy member of the Lexus Club and I think I made a great decision in choosing the is250.

Also, thanks in advance for your help.

Deborah.
Old 08-30-14, 02:17 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

There is supposed to be a NAV disc in the unit at all times. What you might have there is no older version of the NAV disc tat someone just tossed in the booklet, while the new one is in the unit. That's an assumption of course.

Do you have the correct "region" selected?
Old 08-30-14, 10:14 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nav DVD goes into a slot located BEHIND the clock. Not in your CD Changer. If it comes up on your display, it is likely that the DVD has just been upgraded, as I don't think Nav displays at all unless the disc is in there.
Old 08-30-14, 11:25 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the previous owner put in an "unofficial" nav dvd. Does the one you have in hand have a mostly black label and does it look official? It might be worth swapping it into your nav to see if that fixes the problem. Working outdated maps are better than maps that have you in the wrong location.
you should be able to find instructions on this site on how to remove the panel so you can eject the nav dvd.
Old 08-31-14, 06:58 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a unofficial copy works fine for me for years. Go to your trunk that black pouch what has the tools in it. Look right in the middle there is Velcro strap open it there is a tool I believe 2 that looks like a pen with a sharp point use that under the dvd slot clock area pop that in tiny holes until you hear click and it pops out navi dvd in there.

Last edited by Ants350; 08-31-14 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 07:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
There is supposed to be a NAV disc in the unit at all times. What you might have there is no older version of the NAV disc tat someone just tossed in the booklet, while the new one is in the unit. That's an assumption of course.

Do you have the correct "region" selected?
True about needing a nav disc at all times, but selecting the incorrect region would not cause map location problem. The region setting is only used to narrow the list of choices when entering destinations (points-of-interest and streets)

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
The Nav DVD goes into a slot located BEHIND the clock. Not in your CD Changer. If it comes up on your display, it is likely that the DVD has just been upgraded, as I don't think Nav displays at all unless the disc is in there.
Correct, it won't show the map unless the disc has been inserted.

Originally Posted by scott1256c
Maybe the previous owner put in an "unofficial" nav dvd. Does the one you have in hand have a mostly black label and does it look official? It might be worth swapping it into your nav to see if that fixes the problem. Working outdated maps are better than maps that have you in the wrong location.
you should be able to find instructions on this site on how to remove the panel so you can eject the nav dvd.
The discs that came with 2006 cars that were produced in the early part of the model year had a software bug that sometimes encountered issues locking onto the satellites. (version 5.1) Some people also created their own "hybrid" discs that had the old buggy software and newer map versions. (they did that because you do a series of screen taps to enable entering destinations while driving)

My guess is that either you have the old buggy software, or that someone had the radio out and didn't properly reconnect the GPS antenna.
Old 08-31-14, 08:20 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

anyone who has read about the "unoffical" disks knows that the nav unit can be particular about what disks you use. If the unofficial disk is marginal, then it may have started off ok, but developed problems with time that are causing grief now. In any case, it is a cheap quick easy way to start debugging.
Old 08-31-14, 09:32 AM
Dalvarez78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for replying!!

I didn't have a chance yesterday evening to get into, and considering my husband was at a near begging state to take my car to work today....lol, I let him....so looks like I'll be able to really get into it tomorrow. I did look though and the Nav disc that's in my manual binder is the copyright 2005 for 2006 model. I would think that if there was no disc at all then nothing would show (considering there must be a disc in at all times)... So, maybe the disc that's in there now is corrupted somehow and maybe a simple swap of the discs will fix this aggravating issue. ---- Maybe it won't have all the updates, but who cares as long as it knows where I am..lol! At least for the time being until I get an updated nav disc.
Btw, what is the newest update?
Old 08-31-14, 11:34 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

They update every year. I think 2013 is still current, but 2014 should be out shortly if it isn't already.
Old 08-31-14, 11:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Newest update is 13.1. http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/6587.html

Updated maps are generally released in the fall; I'd guess that 14.1 should be out about a month from now.
Old 08-31-14, 11:47 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nav Update

If you go to eBay. You can get last years update from someone who put in this years. Save some money.