IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tuning a Kicker sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 10:23 AM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning a Kicker sub

I replaced my blown ML rear sub with a Kicker L5 10" driven by a Kicker ZX 400.1 amp in a sealed box. I just got it in yesterday, but the bass just seems too overpowering, every time it hits it's just a huge thump (not really distorted, just too much) and it kinda ruins the music.

I realize that it's probably unbalanced for the ML system, since it wasn't designed for this sub, but anyone have good sub tuning advice?

The amp has crossover (50-200Hz), gain, and boost. Kicker recommends setting the crossover to 80Hz, gain and boost to zero, and setting the audio system to 75% of maximum, then turning up the gain until you get distortion and reducing it a bit from that point.

I've done that, and barely used any gain at all, but it still just seems unbalanced and really overpowering bass. Feels like there's no tone in it, just a boom, no sublety in it at all... any suggestions?
Old 09-25-14, 11:03 AM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srt4evah
I replaced my blown ML rear sub with a Kicker L5 10" driven by a Kicker ZX 400.1 amp in a sealed box. I just got it in yesterday, but the bass just seems too overpowering, every time it hits it's just a huge thump (not really distorted, just too much) and it kinda ruins the music.

I realize that it's probably unbalanced for the ML system, since it wasn't designed for this sub, but anyone have good sub tuning advice?

The amp has crossover (50-200Hz), gain, and boost. Kicker recommends setting the crossover to 80Hz, gain and boost to zero, and setting the audio system to 75% of maximum, then turning up the gain until you get distortion and reducing it a bit from that point.

I've done that, and barely used any gain at all, but it still just seems unbalanced and really overpowering bass. Feels like there's no tone in it, just a boom, no sublety in it at all... any suggestions?

Hey,

I've built a few systems for myself and friends. What kind of LOC are you running? Did you do the install yourself?

Josh
Old 09-25-14, 12:14 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I assume you are sending the factory sub signal to the new amp. Have you adjusted the bass setting on the audio console/head unit?
Old 09-25-14, 12:48 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I assume you are sending the factory sub signal to the new amp. Have you adjusted the bass setting on the audio console/head unit?
Yeah do that. Lol
Old 09-25-14, 02:00 PM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joshv06
Hey,

I've built a few systems for myself and friends. What kind of LOC are you running? Did you do the install yourself?

Josh
No idea what LOC is, sorry. I had it done at a reputable local audio shop. They installed the amp under the passenger seat and the sub is in the trunk in a sealed box.

I basically set the crossover to around 80Hz, and wound up settling on the gain just barely up and the boost at zero, at least for now.

I have played with the bass setting on the head unit, but I'm assuming that if I zero that out it will impact the bass performance of the rest of the system. It certainly seems to reduce the bass significantly in the front speakers when I dial it back from the head unit.
Old 09-26-14, 02:48 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

In order to get the full range of bass you need to also tap into the signal from the front low range speakers. If you are only using the signal from the ML rear sub then the bass you will get is a really muddled type of low range bass.

There is a DIY on installing an after market sub where they explain how to sum the signals from the front low range speakers and the rear sub speakers so that the bass range is optimal.
Old 09-26-14, 05:47 PM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

I think that's exactly what the problem is, likely the shop only tapped into the sub line. I'll look into that DIY and see if I can fix it myself, thanks very much!
Old 09-27-14, 07:22 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You may want to install a **** that adjusts the bass level to the subwoofer.
Old 09-27-14, 11:33 AM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

You should check this out:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/64...r-Control.html

It's a good system for OEM systems. Most sound systems will adjust the volume of bass depending on overall volume i.e. As you turn up deck the bass is slightly reduced to compensate and help prevent distortion and blown speakers.

Also check to see where it was tapped. Your Input source should come from the from speaker ideally.
Old 09-28-14, 04:22 PM
marcsis250
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

to op,

first thing is find out where the shop tapped the signal for the kicker amp and see if they used a line out converter(LOC) or if they used the high level speaker inputs.

being this is an older amp I will assume they used LOC due to no one ever keeps the high level input plug.

if they tapped off the subwoofer output from ML amp then that's fine. I seem to think that the input voltage is too high on the kicker and even turning the gain to adjust wont work due tot that.
that leads me to believe that the LOC is not adjusted properly. you may have to find it and turn the voltage levels down to give you more adjustability.
we just did a 2nd gen IS with a morel 8 on a kenwood 500 watt mono block and its very well balanced with the rest of her stock system.
try to get more info on the location of loc. if you want to try an experiment, pull out one of the rca jacks in the amp. use only one and see if it balances out better for your taste.
now for the sound of the sub its hard to tell until we find out where the signal is being tapped from. if its from the front doors then I would take the signal off and put it on the sub out.

if you have any questions please let me know.
aloha
Old 10-03-14, 09:26 AM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

I actually got it to where I am ok with it for now, but I'll have to verify the wiring setup later and see if I can do it better.

Right now I have it set up with crossover at 200Hz (max), and both gain and boost zero'd out. Head unit set for Surround OFF and BASS to 0 on the EQ.
Old 10-03-14, 10:50 PM
marcsis250
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe try to turn your cross over down a bit. the sub may actually sound less pinpointable and better.

try about 80 hz and work your way up or down just a tad to find that frequency that blends into your stock system.

good luck!
Old 10-03-14, 11:26 PM
dragtek1
Rookie

what is the model of the kicker subwoofer and cubic volume of the sub box? i can use winisd to see if the box is the culprit.
Old 10-05-14, 10:20 PM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Solobaric L5 10".

This is the box I bought:
Amazon.com : Absolute USA KSB10S Single 10-Inch MDF Square-Hole Sealed Enclosure/Box for Kicker L7/L5 Solo-Baric Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Boxes : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Absolute USA KSB10S Single 10-Inch MDF Square-Hole Sealed Enclosure/Box for Kicker L7/L5 Solo-Baric Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Boxes : Car Electronics

Marcsis250, I'll try playing with the crossover some more, but 200Hz has taken it from annoying to acceptable. I think I had it around 80Hz and it was just thudding constantly.
Old 10-06-14, 01:18 AM
dragtek1
Rookie

^From looking at the manual the maximum recommended volume for the L5 is 1.0 cubic feet. This box is 1.2 cubic feet, so it is 0.2 cubic feet larger than recommended. I don't think it should affect the SQ too much, but just wanted to throw that out there.

More importantly, I think you need to turn off your crossover and run it at full pass. I am sure that the audio shop used the stock ML subwoofer for the line level input. That basically means, the signal received from the ML subwoofer is ALREADY filtered by the ML audio system. By running a second LPF (the amp's filter), it's basically playing "telephone" with the signal from the ML amp. In the end, you get significantly decreased sound quality. It does make sense that by upping the crossover to 200hz; the sound quality will improve. However, I would highly recommend turning off the LPF on the amp and run it at full pass.

Try that out and see how it works out for you. If the sound does not improve, you can easily try adding DENSE block of wood to the enclosure (make sure to screw it down so it does not vibrate lol). That block should be approx. 0.2 cubic feet in volume give or take. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tuning a Kicker sub