IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My mechanic changed my automatic transmission fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 06:06 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My mechanic changed my automatic transmission fluid.

I took my 2008 IS250 with 120k miles for the 120k mile service that Lexus recommends. I usually goto this guy to do my oil changes, and brakes.

He told me he knew the official Lexus 120k mile service requirements. Anyways, first thing he told me when the car was done was that he changed the automatic transmission fluid.

I read the 120k mile service bulletin from Lexus. It's here if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...S_250C_WSG.pdf

I heard the transmission is life time and sealed and should never be opened. Am I screwed? I drove the car once already, it felt fine, but should I worry? This guy said he did it in an hour....

Anyways he also didn't change my drive belts, and I read somewhere it should be changed.

He changed my rear differential fluid with hopefully the right stuff because on the receipt it's the only fluid that doesn't specify anything about what fluid it is.

I did my smoke check and passed with my only mod at the moment, Injen SP cold air intake.

He said he will do this intake cleaning thing, and I told him in the beginning to not touch my intake because it has like 2000 miles on it and its clean. On the receipt it says, "Recomm Intake Induction Service ---- API, GL-5." Anyone know what that means and what service he did?

My intake sounds a lot quieter now, at full throttle.

Lastly he changes my oil with 5w-30 oil, but on the PDF bulletin I linked, it says to use 0w-20. Has my mechanic been using the wrong oil viscosity the whole time??

ANY feedback and info would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm seriously worried at this moment.
Old 10-24-14, 06:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lexus changed to 0W-20 sythetic for the 10k intervals, for a while it was 5W-30 dino for the same engine. Youll be fine
Old 10-24-14, 06:19 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Here's the exact maintenance manual for my 2008 IS250.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...is25008smg.pdf
Old 10-24-14, 06:20 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lexus changed to 0W-20 sythetic for the 10k intervals, for a while it was 5W-30 dino for the same engine. Youll be fine
Thanks for the quick response. Now about the automatic transmission fluid...

When are you supposed to replace the drive belt? And how often should we replace our cabin air conditioning filter? Also, how often do really need to do an oil change? 5,000 miles w/ synthetic oil seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 10-24-14, 06:39 AM
MamadIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was he able to take out all the tranny fluid? my lexus mechanic told me you can only do 3 litters at a time and it takes like 8 litters. so he told me to come back in few months to do the tranny fluid again. Rear differential fluid was apparently pretty easy to do and cost much less than an oil change. For oil, I use regular oil so I change it every 5000KM, but I'm not sure about synthetic. For the air cabin filter, just do it yourself, its a piece of cake to do (I do it every 50000KM). I haven't heard anything about drive belt though ( does that apply to 350 as well)

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Thanks for the quick response. Now about the automatic transmission fluid...

When are you supposed to replace the drive belt? And how often should we replace our cabin air conditioning filter? Also, how often do really need to do an oil change? 5,000 miles w/ synthetic oil seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 10-24-14, 06:46 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MamadIS
was he able to take out all the tranny fluid? my lexus mechanic told me you can only do 3 litters at a time and it takes like 8 litters. so he told me to come back in few months to do the tranny fluid again. Rear differential fluid was apparently pretty easy to do and cost much less than an oil change. For oil, I use regular oil so I change it every 5000KM, but I'm not sure about synthetic. For the air cabin filter, just do it yourself, its a piece of cake to do (I do it every 50000KM). I haven't heard anything about drive belt though ( does that apply to 350 as well)

I asked him how long he took, he said about an hour lol. Oh well it drives fine, so I'm not complaining. I hope won't have to in the future.

BTW, saw your sig mods, What you think of your Invidia midpipe and the F-Sport steering wheel dampener?

I have the Invidia midpipe and axle back and that dampener waiting to be installed.
Old 10-24-14, 08:01 AM
felixd6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your questions, your mechanic was right to suggest replacing the transmission fluid. Even if the fluid is marketed as lifetime fluid, the clutches inside the transmission wear out with use and it creates waste which clogs the transmission filter over time.

Also our transmissions aren't "sealed" in that the transmission doesn't need to be removed and dismantled to replace the filter. (i.e most hondas) The oil pan is easily accessible from below the vehicle.

If your transmission was serviced correctly it should have a new filter, gasket, and fluid (I always recommend dealer fluid for lexus/toyota)

If your transmission was "flushed" i recommend you take your car back ASAP and have them replace the filter as well since it is likely clogged from the process.

Btw 120k miles is a long time to wait for a transmission service. I'll do my first at 60k and then do them every 15k miles. Hope this helps!
Old 10-24-14, 08:37 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as they used Toyota WS lifetime transmission fluid, you should be fine. In Canada, the manual actually states to have the transmission fluid replaced. Some dealers have a proper machine to get all the fluid out, others don't and need to do a few litres at a time.
Old 10-24-14, 08:37 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a car in this forum I think an 07 is250 over 200k on it never had a problem never changed tranny fluid.. I'm still thinking about doing mine I'm at 100k now.

Last edited by Ants350; 10-24-14 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 09:05 AM
felixd6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could very well be the case but having seen the amount of transmissions that get damaged and come with lifetime fluid... I'll take my chances and service my transmission
Old 10-24-14, 09:23 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One guy on our forum recently changed the transmission fluid and took a sample of the old fluid to a lab for testing and the result turns out to be excellent. Search around for the thread and you will see it. For the peace of mind, I still recently changed mine at 95k miles on the 06 IS350.

I think the thread is here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html

Last edited by FSportIS; 10-24-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-24-14, 09:32 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have over 160k miles on my 07 is350 and never onced changed the tranny fluid or rear differential fluid. Still shifts fine with no hesitations.
Old 10-24-14, 11:40 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by felixd6
Btw 120k miles is a long time to wait for a transmission service. I'll do my first at 60k and then do them every 15k miles. Hope this helps!
Every 15K miles?? that seems crazy excessive. I've heard every 60, or 75K miles. But 15?
Old 10-24-14, 11:41 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
He told me he knew the official Lexus 120k mile service requirements. Anyways, first thing he told me when the car was done was that he changed the automatic transmission fluid.
As long as he used WS transmission fluid and not Toyota Type IV, you should be OK. Call him and ask him this.
Old 10-24-14, 12:06 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Guys I shall post up my receipt shortly. Please tell me what he did or didn't do. He charged me $297, which from 2 google searches I saw people paying $700-1300 for this service.

Let me know if I should be using 5w-0 or 5-w20 or what he's always been using: 5w-30. And how often do I have to change the oil given the fact that it's synthetic. He sets it so it's every 5k miles. Seems excessive, but I would like to know the truth of how often I should change my oil and get the most for my money.

Quick Reply: My mechanic changed my automatic transmission fluid.