IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Racing Seats: SRS Airbag light bypass revealed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 05:47 PM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Racing Seats: SRS Airbag light bypass revealed

I had been searching this weekend for a definitive answer on the SRS light delete for the 2IS when installing after marked seats. I couldn't really find anyone who actually accomplished it. Messed around a bit and came up with the following protocol:

Cost: $5 and 30min.

Disconnect battery and wait 20min before starting.

1) SRS harness resistor

2.2 ohm resistance for this one. I used (5) 10 ohm, 1/4w resistors from radioshack connected in parallel. I checked it with a multimeter before installing and got ~2.3 ohms. Plug into YELLOW 2 prong female SRS harness.

Name:  80218E80-1352-403F-A862-E9516783C4C7_zpsewon7wxb.jpg
Views: 5079
Size:  41.1 KB

This is all i did at first, and was very confused as to why it didn't work. I also researched how to reset the light, but on our cars it resets with the ignition, no need for the paperclip vs. OBD-II fiasco. The second part is the less intuitive one:

2) Transplant seatbelt sensor harness

I believe this causes the SRS light because of the magnetic seat position sensor that is lost with the new seat.

Follow the seatbelt buckle wire back all the way to the 4-prong white plug under the seat. Use scissors or a knife to snip the electrical tape in 1-2 places, and the rest are clips that can be undone with your fingers.

There are also 2 other connections:
1 - A white plug near the front of the seat close to the seatbelt buckle end.
2 - The magnetic seating position sensor towards the harness interface end. You'll need a torx set to unscrew this one.

Name:  EDD867D9-6001-49FC-B765-09A4316F20F8_zpswphyojj4.jpg
Views: 10585
Size:  48.5 KB

Transplant the whole harness under the new seat. Not sure if its necessary, but I placed the magnetic device on the underside of the aftermarket bracket.

Name:  80695BCA-7A15-48C9-A17B-098EFBAF06CA_zpsqjnanbz3.jpg
Views: 5301
Size:  65.2 KB

This is on top of the rail, before I unmounted the seat and moved it all underneath

From here you have two options: Reinstall the seatbelt buckle with sensor onto your new seat, and retain the seatbelt sensor function, OR place the buckle under the seat and connect the seatbelt at the base of the b-pillar (for harness-only use with no flashing seatbelt light).

The last connector on both harnesses you can leave open.

DONE!

Hope this helps some of you guys in the future. If this is already out there, sorry. Maybe I'm bad at using the search function.

I believe the passenger side is going to take the same treatment with the addition of an occupancy sensor bypass module. But ill have to wait for my passenger bracket to arrive for that.
Old 11-03-14, 10:47 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wouldn't removing the bulb from the dash or placing electrical tape on the bulb. About the same amount of work right? Just a thought.
Old 11-03-14, 12:20 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^But we don't own Hondas here!
Old 11-03-14, 12:40 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Wouldn't removing the bulb from the dash or placing electrical tape on the bulb. About the same amount of work right? Just a thought.
Has anyone confirmed that the SRS system is infact fully operational if the light is on? We drive a car that turns traction control off when the gas cap is loose.

The Seatbelt warnings (including the passenger's side) are completely disabled when the light is on. That leads me to believe that the safety system is in fact not fully operational. Also what if something goes wrong elsewhere in the system? You wouldn't know.

This mod is for those who don't feel like betting their life on a cut corner I suppose. If snipping some electrical tape is too involved, I think whoever the owner is should feel free to pick up a wrench and put down their credit card a little more often
Old 11-03-14, 02:23 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stewb10
Has anyone confirmed that the SRS system is infact fully operational if the light is on? We drive a car that turns traction control off when the gas cap is loose.

The Seatbelt warnings (including the passenger's side) are completely disabled when the light is on. That leads me to believe that the safety system is in fact not fully operational. Also what if something goes wrong elsewhere in the system? You wouldn't know.

This mod is for those who don't feel like betting their life on a cut corner I suppose. If snipping some electrical tape is too involved, I think whoever the owner is should feel free to pick up a wrench and put down their credit card a little more often
Talked to my fellow moderator/IS350 owner/Lexus master mechanic and he thinks the air bags won't work since the seatbelt isn't buckled and the weight sensors in the seat aren't reading anything.
Old 11-03-14, 04:16 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Talked to my fellow moderator/IS350 owner/Lexus master mechanic and he thinks the air bags won't work since the seatbelt isn't buckled and the weight sensors in the seat aren't reading anything.
More of a reason for this mod. The drivers seat is now fully operational, including the seatbelt sensor. The passenger side will also require a defeat of the weight sensor:

http://www.microimageonline.com/down...n%20Rev2.0.pdf

Since the driver's side is armed from the beginning, when I'm done, I should have a fully functional SRS system.

Now to figure out how to wire the aftermarket seat heaters into the factors harness.....
Old 11-03-14, 06:58 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

GOod right up man, when I got aftermarket seats I noticed the light turn on. Another CL member told me about a website that another IS member from my.is had started. He had made a plug and play thing that would correct this issue. This was 2yrs ago and for the life of me i can't find find the message he sent me with that info. Ive seen some videos on youtube that people used a resistor and it was all good. Are you using oem seat brackets for the aftermarket seats?
Old 11-04-14, 05:00 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot, got my seats in last week and have been looking. I'll have to try this.
Old 11-04-14, 06:57 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a guilty party on not caring to fix the airbag light for my seats... I was/am under the impression that the drivers airbag is 100% enabled when the car is on, for safety reasons since the the drivers seat is always occupied if the car is in motion. I have no evidence, nor have i investigated this though. I do realize that my passengers airbag has a larger chance of it being disabled since the sensor for a passenger is no longer there ( i drive solo 99% of the time)

Would be nice to know when the airbags are 100% on or off, and if your fix enables them for sure.
Old 11-04-14, 01:15 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No bulbs to remove , easiest thing is remove the cluster and apply black nail polish to the light. The airbags might not register but I'm not 100%
Old 11-05-14, 10:37 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
I'm a guilty party on not caring to fix the airbag light for my seats... I was/am under the impression that the drivers airbag is 100% enabled when the car is on, for safety reasons since the the drivers seat is always occupied if the car is in motion. I have no evidence, nor have i investigated this though. I do realize that my passengers airbag has a larger chance of it being disabled since the sensor for a passenger is no longer there ( i drive solo 99% of the time)

Would be nice to know when the airbags are 100% on or off, and if your fix enables them for sure.

The resistor, by definition, fools the car into thinking the airbag is still there. At the end of the day, the car has no idea that there is anything wrong, and the SRS system is active. I don't really see another option.

The whole SRS harness is in place in the new car, doing exactly what it would have done, minus the actual in-seat airbag.