IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 07:22 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Hadn't received that second follow-up letter yet. Next time I'm in the area, I'll stop in at my local dealership and see whereabouts they're sitting on this recall.
I don't think they've sent out any follow up letters yet. Probably waiting to getting closer to having the actual parts available. If you're getting close on the 10 years in service date, I'd take it in and have them note in the system that you'll be getting the panels.

I was able to take my '06 in today to get looked at. They had to get a service manager to look and verify. Him and I walked around the car. The dash was a definite he said for replacement. Now it isn't sticky or shiny really, but it was crumbling and a fingernail dragged on it left a mark and bluish/black goo under your nail. Drivers door panel was only authorized after I pointed out that on the handle it was sticky and left blue/black marks on clothing (brought a long sleeve shirt that was ruined to show him). Passenger side he said was fine, but I showed him the same spot on that door that was an issue as well. As for the rear door panels, both him and I could not find a reason to replace them. Doesn't really matter to me. Nobody I know can even really fit back there (Wife and I are both 6' tall, so the front seats are back).

They told me they'd enter it in the system after the wrote down my VIN. I asked for a printout of what was authorized to be replaced, and they went ahead and put it all in the system and gave me a printout.

Even though the letter I posted above form the dealer says August (possibly) he said that at the rate they've been able to get the ES parts for replacement, he says it may be into January/Feb 2016 for the IS replacements. Even though the in service date for my '06 (December 2005) will have elapsed past the 10 year mark, I'm covered now for whenever the fix is available.

Wife is excited. From the day we bough the car, the dash and door panels were her least favorite thing to look at in the present condition.
Old 06-12-15, 10:36 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
I don't think they've sent out any follow up letters yet. Probably waiting to getting closer to having the actual parts available. If you're getting close on the 10 years in service date, I'd take it in and have them note in the system that you'll be getting the panels.

I was able to take my '06 in today to get looked at. They had to get a service manager to look and verify. Him and I walked around the car. The dash was a definite he said for replacement. Now it isn't sticky or shiny really, but it was crumbling and a fingernail dragged on it left a mark and bluish/black goo under your nail. Drivers door panel was only authorized after I pointed out that on the handle it was sticky and left blue/black marks on clothing (brought a long sleeve shirt that was ruined to show him). Passenger side he said was fine, but I showed him the same spot on that door that was an issue as well. As for the rear door panels, both him and I could not find a reason to replace them. Doesn't really matter to me. Nobody I know can even really fit back there (Wife and I are both 6' tall, so the front seats are back).

They told me they'd enter it in the system after the wrote down my VIN. I asked for a printout of what was authorized to be replaced, and they went ahead and put it all in the system and gave me a printout.

Even though the letter I posted above form the dealer says August (possibly) he said that at the rate they've been able to get the ES parts for replacement, he says it may be into January/Feb 2016 for the IS replacements. Even though the in service date for my '06 (December 2005) will have elapsed past the 10 year mark, I'm covered now for whenever the fix is available.

Wife is excited. From the day we bough the car, the dash and door panels were her least favorite thing to look at in the present condition.
hopefully in a couple years, your rear panels dont do the same thing and you are past the 10 year. i would at least state to them that scenario and have them replace all of it.
Old 06-22-15, 03:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got the letter today.

Old 06-22-15, 05:02 PM
Knarf916
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm the first owner how will I receive a letter? Or will I even?
Old 06-22-15, 07:29 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Knarf916
If I'm the first owner how will I receive a letter? Or will I even?
You can call Lexus Headquarter in California to check your Vin#. They will tell you all the recall that you need.
Old 06-22-15, 08:30 PM
Knarf916
Rookie

HA meant to say I'm NOT the first owner. Will that matter ?
Old 06-22-15, 09:47 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Knarf916
HA meant to say I'm NOT the first owner. Will that matter ?
No as long as the your name is on the tittle.
Old 07-05-15, 06:59 AM
boss22
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have received the letter somehow at the end of the February this year. They say they are collecting the parts and let me know around May 2015 for the replace.

Meantime we have July and I have no message from The Luxus USA. My car is 2006 so 10 years will be gone next year.

Maybe they're trying to play to waste the time and when the 10 years comes up they will say it is too late to replace? Just thinking out loud...

Have you guys have replaced your dashboards yet?

Last edited by boss22; 07-05-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-05-15, 08:56 AM
Knarf916
Rookie

Originally Posted by boss22
I have received the letter somehow at the end of the February this year. They say they are collecting the parts and let me know around May 2015 for the replace.

Meantime we have July and I have no message from The Luxus USA. My car is 2006 so 10 years will be gone next year.

Maybe they're trying to play to waste the time and when the 10 years comes up they will say it is too late to replace? Just thinking out loud...

Hopefully that's not the case. Mine is starting to show signs.
Old 07-05-15, 09:08 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Most places don't yet have the parts available. My dealer here can only get ES parts at the moment. IS replacements are far down on the list.

Take your car to the dealer to have the panels inspected. They can put you on the list for the parts you need when available. A manager had to come out and inspect mine when I took it in. Spent about 10 minutes rubbing his hands over all the surfaces to verify that the problem does exist.

Also read your notice you got and comprehend each word. The 10 years is from the in service date not the 1st of January of the model year. It should say the in service date for your car near where your VIN is printed on the sticker. Mine is also a 2006 but the in service date is in December 2005. As long as it is inspected prior to your date the delay in parts won't matter. I had my dealer print me out something showing that it had been inspected and what will be replaced.

Last edited by A1cntrler; 07-05-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-05-15, 02:13 PM
boss22
Driver

Most places don't yet have the parts available. My dealer here can only get ES parts at the moment. IS replacements are far down on the list.

Take your car to the dealer to have the panels inspected. They can put you on the list for the parts you need when available. A manager had to come out and inspect mine when I took it in. Spent about 10 minutes rubbing his hands over all the surfaces to verify that the problem does exist.

Also read your notice you got and comprehend each word. The 10 years is from the in service date not the 1st of January of the model year. It should say the in service date for your car near where your VIN is printed on the sticker. Mine is also a 2006 but the in service date is in December 2005. As long as it is inspected prior to your date the delay in parts won't matter. I had my dealer print me out something showing that it had been inspected and what will be replaced.
I already had the dashboard and panels inspected at my local dealer. They just gave me a notice that says more likely the same as the letter from Lexus USA,

I am not 100% sure but the Lexus USA letter said the extended warranty will cover the sticky/melty dashboard up to 10 years from the date of manufacture but like I said I have to double check it.

Next weekend I will make a trip to the dealer to chat with service rep and I will show him the letter with the sticker I have. We will see.
Old 07-05-15, 02:18 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

I already had the dashboard and panels inspected at my local dealer. They just gave me a notice that says more likely the same as the letter from Lexus USA,

I am not 100% sure but the Lexus USA letter said the extended warranty will cover the sticky/melty dashboard up to 10 years from the date of manufacture but like I said I have to double check it.

Next weekend I will make a trip to the dealer to chat with service rep and I will show him the letter with the sticker I have. We will see.

Chikoo a few posts above posted the sticker that goes in your book. It says on there that the 10 years is based on the date of first use.

If you've already had it inspected, I'm kind of confused as to what your worry is about. Did they tell you that you're eligible for replacement, or that they were fine and check again later?
Old 07-05-15, 02:28 PM
boss22
Driver

Chikoo a few posts above posted the sticker that goes in your book. It says on there that the 10 years is based on the date of first use.

If you've already had it inspected, I'm kind of confused as to what your worry is about. Did they tell you that you're eligible for replacement, or that they were fine and check again later?

Yes, you're right. I have checked the letter and I see my date of my first 06/25/2016 so there is almost a year time. No worries then! Thank you!

They also say they will send me another owner notification once the sufficient parts will be prepared.

I will make the trip to the dealer anyway on the next weekend.

Appreciate your help!
Old 07-05-15, 02:31 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Yes, you're right. I have checked the letter and I see my date of my first 06/25/2016 so there is almost a year time. No worries then! Thank you!

They also say they will send me another owner notification once the sufficient parts will be prepared.

I will make the trip to the dealer anyway on the next weekend.

Appreciate your help!
My post above (#208 in this thread) is a scan of the letter I got from my dealer outlining what is going at at my dealer. Like it says the IS parts aren't really available yet as they are working through the other models that need replacing. I have a feeling once production of the replacement parts are being made for the IS this is when Lexus USA will send out the second notice mentioned int eh first notice.
Old 07-05-15, 05:19 PM
Toretto
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a 2007 a few days ago. I also called a local Lexus dealer (Sewell) and was told all recalls have been completed according to my VIN. Should I ask about this per warranty, clearly I am not the first owner? Thanks!

-Alex

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!