IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17 | 06:05 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devin1GS
My dash is literally melting and its kinda grossing me out because I touched it to see if it was actually melting and my fingerprint is on there!! So glad I found this thread. What if I never got a letter in the mail? Should I just call a local dealer and ask about this?
Thanks in advanced.
Yes, just call the dealer and tell them about it. It seems most of them will require you to bring it in for inspection before they put you on the waiting list. My dealer never did, they just signed me up for everything right off the bat. Do it ASAP, because it is a long wait!
Old 01-30-17 | 05:16 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Follow up on my replacement.
I'm very happy with the new material (pending the hot summer in Texas in 2017) that they used.
The replaced all the melted pieces including the leather panel piece that goes in the middle of the door.
The car now has the newness fume. LOL
Will post the pictures when get a chance.
Old 02-03-17 | 01:57 PM
Zmon
Racer

Here's the new dash, came in earlier this week. So got new front door panels and the dash finally. Rears will be a while.

Old 02-03-17 | 02:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
Here's the new dash, came in earlier this week. So got new front door panels and the dash finally. Rears will be a while.

Looks great. Do you feel it was positioned properly and all lines up? Also, the leather on your steering wheel looks immaculate. How'd you do this since 2008?
Old 02-03-17 | 02:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The steering wheel looks like it's from a later IS. Note the silver panels around the control buttons.

Lou
Old 02-03-17 | 02:24 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Did you wrap those silver trim steering wheel pieces or are they from a 2011?

Here's mine vinyl wrapped. But it still has a textured feel and look. Whereas the 2011 is smooth.
Old 02-03-17 | 03:27 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looks great. Do you feel it was positioned properly and all lines up? Also, the leather on your steering wheel looks immaculate. How'd you do this since 2008?
Only thing I feel looks odd is the driver side vent. I swear it lined up more with the dash. The center vents looks the same as they did before and after.

Steering wheel is original, I just wipe it every other week with Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner or Meguiar's 3 in 1 leather spray.

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^The steering wheel looks like it's from a later IS. Note the silver panels around the control buttons.

Lou
Nah, it's the original wheel. I pulled the buttons off a newer IS though, I sold my old black ones on here a few months ago.
Originally Posted by istarzan
Did you wrap those silver trim steering wheel pieces or are they from a 2011?
Here's mine vinyl wrapped. But it still has a textured feel and look. Whereas the 2011 is smooth.
From an 11+. I originally wrapped the black ones with some silver wrap (the same as yours from what it looks like) for a few days, it looked good but the texture was a little off (the 06-10's have that odd texture to them), so I ended up buying a pair of 11 switches. They were immaculate in the ad, but the seller left a little scratch on them. No biggy.

Last edited by Zmon; 02-03-17 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-03-17 | 04:10 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

I just picked up an 06. Calling tomorrow to be put on the list, because these are gross
Old 02-03-17 | 09:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Only thing I feel looks odd is the driver side vent. I swear it lined up more with the dash. The center vents looks the same as they did before and after.

Steering wheel is original, I just wipe it every other week with Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner or Meguiar's 3 in 1 leather spray.

Nah, it's the original wheel. I pulled the buttons off a newer IS though, I sold my old black ones on here a few months ago.

From an 11+. I originally wrapped the black ones with some silver wrap (the same as yours from what it looks like) for a few days, it looked good but the texture was a little off (the 06-10's have that odd texture to them), so I ended up buying a pair of 11 switches. They were immaculate in the ad, but the seller left a little scratch on them. No biggy.
That's amazing the rim of the wheel still has grain on it and no scuffs. How many miles do you have? I've tried my darnedest to be careful getting in and out but occasionally my sweatshirt zipper rubs against it and makes a mark.
Old 02-03-17 | 09:54 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That's amazing the rim of the wheel still has grain on it and no scuffs. How many miles do you have? I've tried my darnedest to be careful getting in and out but occasionally my sweatshirt zipper rubs against it and makes a mark.
I'm at 122k now. I've been driving a lot the past few months, racked on just about 30k in the past 15 months so the steering wheel def sees some use (It looks like I need to already get another set of rear tires too...). I do my best to keep my interiors nice though, not really doing it for resale as I don't expect to get much from them by the time I trade them in, it's more for me.

Only issue now with the new dash is I need to go back tomorrow and have them check the solar sensor, noticed it wasn't kicking on my headlights tonight.
Old 02-05-17 | 12:11 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Okay, so I went to Lexus to get my wheel locks removed. While there I asked the SA about the doorpanel/dashboards getting replaced, she acted like she never heard of it before.

Even while bringing up my vehicle being an 06. What am I doing wrong here?
Old 02-05-17 | 02:34 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
Okay, so I went to Lexus to get my wheel locks removed. While there I asked the SA about the doorpanel/dashboards getting replaced, she acted like she never heard of it before.

Talk to her manager and ask her to be fired.
Well may be not.
She might be new.
Lexus is notoriously known for this issue including several Toyota models as well.

Last edited by videopho; 02-05-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-06-17 | 06:14 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeyK02

Speak to the service manager in reference to Warranty Enhancement ZLD. That is code talk for fix this nasty crap.
Old 02-08-17 | 07:13 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default sensor

I'm at 122k now. I've been driving a lot the past few months, racked on just about 30k in the past 15 months so the steering wheel def sees some use (It looks like I need to already get another set of rear tires too...). I do my best to keep my interiors nice though, not really doing it for resale as I don't expect to get much from them by the time I trade them in, it's more for me.

Only issue now with the new dash is I need to go back tomorrow and have them check the solar sensor, noticed it wasn't kicking on my headlights tonight.
yeah, this is what stops me on getting the dash replaced. everything works and no rattles. I have kinda grown use to having the dash, hold my phone for me. Sticks right to it, LOL
I have to get the airbags replaced, maybe I will ask about the dash. Hate to lose my cell phone holder : )
Old 02-08-17 | 10:34 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Almost 2 years on the list at south bay lexus in Torrance CA with no end in sight. Spoke to the service guy and he said I am in the next group to get the new dash. That was 6 months ago. The glare off my dash is almost unbearable. This recall is kind of a joke.

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!