IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does everyone's car get stuck like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 10:20 AM
mosh12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does everyone's car get stuck like this?

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a RWD Lexus IS350 07. I installed bridgestone blizzak tires, which set me back close to 2k. I was aware of the difficulty of driving in snow with RWD cars, but it seems that whenever there is approximately 2cm-4cm of snow my car get stuck. In approximately 2-3cm of snow (By my bet gusss) just yesterday, it took four people rocking my car back and forth to get me out of the mess.
And it's happened multiple times.

I've heard that putting sandbags in the back trunk could help, but aside from that is this a normal experience I'm having? I'm hearing some odd noises in the back tires right now, so I'll have to get that checked out but it's absurd getting stuck in such little snow.

Could anyone comment of their state of getting in and out of snow?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-15, 10:27 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

You need to drive with traction control off. Other wise if your car feel slippage it will cut power therefore you can't move. I've driving 5yrs threw storm , blizard and ice with no issues. I don't use snow mode and I don't sandbag my trunk either. Learning to drive it is a plus. Once you get use to it you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-15, 02:24 PM
statename
Driver School Candidate

Yup. Just turn off the traction control its useless in snow. At least you have a 2007 so you dont have to pedal dance to turn it off
Old 01-11-15, 03:52 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just went out to the garage to make sure, but my '06 350 has a switch on the dash for Snow. It is a rocker switch to the right of the steering wheel. Top position is PWR, middle is ECT and toggled down says SNOW. Living in SoCal I've never put it into the SNOW position to know what it does though.
Old 01-11-15, 03:56 PM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

RWD car with snow tires vs AWD car with all season tires.

Comments. Go !
Old 01-11-15, 04:36 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zen470
RWD car with snow tires vs AWD car with all season tires.

Comments. Go !
RWD with snow tires beats AWD with all season tires. Snow tires beats anything. It would be best to have AWD with snow tires.
Old 01-11-15, 05:04 PM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
RWD with snow tires beats AWD with all season tires. Snow tires beats anything. It would be best to have AWD with snow tires.
Obviously not if he got stuck in 2-3 cm of snow.

Ill take my AWD anyday
Old 01-11-15, 06:09 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zen470
Obviously not if he got stuck in 2-3 cm of snow.

Ill take my AWD anyday
Take it cause your not confident in your driving. But what did people do 100yrs ago when there was no awd? I be leave they did fine. Cause the OP just got his first RWD doesn't mean the car sucks. Another fact it doesn't snow everyday during winter season and street get plowed clean same day.
Old 01-11-15, 06:54 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my RWD IS250 last winter in Ontario with Blizzak WS70 on OEM 18s. I had no issues even during the snow storm. Which part of Ontario do you live in?

Snow mode helped me with traction when the highways were not yet shove but otherwise no issues at all.
Old 01-11-15, 07:13 PM
mosh12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
You need to drive with traction control off. Other wise if your car feel slippage it will cut power therefore you can't move. I've driving 5yrs threw storm , blizard and ice with no issues. I don't use snow mode and I don't sandbag my trunk either. Learning to drive it is a plus. Once you get use to it you'll be fine.
I've tried that, do you turn stability off too?
And the thing is, I hear the engine rev, it's not cutting the power (at least when im stuck in snow), but the car isn't going anywhere. I tried the whole reverse, move forward in different directions which didn't work, shoveling underneath the back tires, etc etc and for some reason it still didn't work.

Originally Posted by statename
Yup. Just turn off the traction control its useless in snow. At least you have a 2007 so you dont have to pedal dance to turn it off
That's true! Aha didn't realize that benefit of having an older model

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Just went out to the garage to make sure, but my '06 350 has a switch on the dash for Snow. It is a rocker switch to the right of the steering wheel. Top position is PWR, middle is ECT and toggled down says SNOW. Living in SoCal I've never put it into the SNOW position to know what it does though.
Thanks! Yeah, I use that function on occasion, but it cuts the acceleration a little too much for my liking :/

Originally Posted by laobo979
Take it cause your not confident in your driving. But what did people do 100yrs ago when there was no awd? I be leave they did fine. Cause the OP just got his first RWD doesn't mean the car sucks. Another fact it doesn't snow everyday during winter season and street get plowed clean same day.
Yup, you pretty much got me. I'm extremely inexperienced with driving a RWD car. However, I did a bunch of reading online to see whether it was just me, and have been using a variety of techniques that really haven't worked the greatest for me. I put salt bags in the trunk, and I'll definitely try turning traction off when driving from now on.

Just a note, driving around regularly isn't much of an issue for me (i.e. skidding too hard, losing control, etc doesn't happen all too often for me). What had happened was there was approximately 2cm in snow that I had to park into (i.e. my parking spot), and I didn't think it would be too difficult to pull out of it, but in the morning (it hadn't snowed overnight), it was incredibly difficult to get out (and required pushing).

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses, it is much appreciated!
Old 01-11-15, 08:07 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an AWD with snow tires and I must say a lot of people were jealous and upset to see me going up hills around SUV's and trucks that get stuck.

when it comes to 2WD cars, its sometimes best to have weight on or near the drive axles of the cars so if not something heavy then put people in your back seat. One thing Ive learned is to never floor it out of snow or ice because that makes it worse. Gentle taps of the pedals goes a long way. Also in heavy snow storms, I ALWAYS drive in S mode with paddle shifters. Reason why is because sometimes you cant always slow down or stop the car as quickly so the gear limiters make it easy to use engine braking or slow down the wheels of the car
Old 01-11-15, 08:23 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

If I can get out of this with out an shovel and simple gunning it forward you don't know how to drive the car yet. I hold the traction control till both traction and vsc are off. From stop and go time you wanna feather your gas pedal. Other wise you might go side ways with no traction.
Old 01-11-15, 08:53 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mosh12
Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a RWD Lexus IS350 07. I installed bridgestone blizzak tires, which set me back close to 2k. I was aware of the difficulty of driving in snow with RWD cars, but it seems that whenever there is approximately 2cm-4cm of snow my car get stuck. In approximately 2-3cm of snow (By my bet gusss) just yesterday, it took four people rocking my car back and forth to get me out of the mess.
And it's happened multiple times.

I've heard that putting sandbags in the back trunk could help, but aside from that is this a normal experience I'm having? I'm hearing some odd noises in the back tires right now, so I'll have to get that checked out but it's absurd getting stuck in such little snow.

Could anyone comment of their state of getting in and out of snow?

Thanks.

Proof of you getting stuck in snow would help! Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 01-11-15, 08:58 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, u might press so hard on your gas paddle? I have 07" is350 and got blizzark LM32, and not yet stuck, even last month we've had ice storm, where are some SUV got slide to the side of the road, and watch me pass them make sure turn off traction control OFF
Old 01-11-15, 09:21 PM
XSilverJ
Driver School Candidate

IS350.. 18" snows.. car is actually pretty decent in snow so far for what we've gotten, but then again I intentionally go out to play in snow and have a good understanding of vehicles