IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I know that tire wear is an issue with the 350, same problem with the 250?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 10:38 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah, the DWS performs fine on daily driving with occasional push hard around the corners. I think DWS is perfect for many people who look for comfort, durability and some occasional fun around the corners.

However, DWS are not for me. Continuous push hard around the corners will make them go beyond their optimal temp range and they start to become slippery. Also, steering feel is too light, road feedback is lacking, less available traction and spin recovery is a bit unpredictable so constant battling with counter-steering is required with this tires on autocross. Recently, driving in rain, the rear wheels spins when I just try to accelerate normally from start (not pushing hard). Cornering in wet road has very little traction available and you can spin out easily if not careful. DWS is bad in rain, period.

IMO, DWS is made for daily drivers who want a tires that last very long and comfortable. It is not meant to perform at all.

Hankook v12, on the other hand, perform very well all around dry and wet. Even though it lasts shorter than DWS, it performs way better. It offers a lot more road feedback, a lot more accurate and predictable handling and still very comfortable/quiet at the same time. I have drifted several times on autocross for fun with this tires easily because the road feedback is just awesome and handling is very predictable. Hankook v12 is really a winning tires for me.
I have heard a lot of great things, along the same lines of what you are saying, about the Hankooks... I have personally never driven on them, I will have to give them a shot to see what I think.
Old 02-02-15, 10:45 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
@jgr4444 Wow, thank you for the information. It sounds like Falken Azenis RT-615k is the beast on autocross/track usage. I wish it would last longer than 10k miles lol. If I autocross/track more, I will give either this and the Michelin PSS a try. So far I'm very happy with Hankook V12 which perform decent on autocross and still very comfortable on daily driving + last very long too (10k miles daily, 2 autocross, and still have 8/12 tread depth).
I would disagree that the Falken RT-615K is the best autocross/track tire. It has a cool tread pattern, and gets great traction up to a point, but it suffers from the same problem the older RT-215 did - it is a great autocross tire for a lighweight car. Put it on a heavy car (like a 2IS) or on a track and it is going to overheat and lose quite a bit of traction when compared to its peers. If you use it strickly for autocross take a couple of gallons of water and a spray bottle to cool them off between runs, but there are better tires for the money.
Old 02-02-15, 11:57 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
I would disagree that the Falken RT-615K is the best autocross/track tire. It has a cool tread pattern, and gets great traction up to a point, but it suffers from the same problem the older RT-215 did - it is a great autocross tire for a lighweight car. Put it on a heavy car (like a 2IS) or on a track and it is going to overheat and lose quite a bit of traction when compared to its peers. If you use it strickly for autocross take a couple of gallons of water and a spray bottle to cool them off between runs, but there are better tires for the money.
Beast not best....
Old 02-02-15, 12:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Different tires will wear at different rates. In my opinion, if the tire is wearing evenly, whatever you get out of it is pretty much what you're going to get out of them, if it's not enough for what you think you should be getting, try a different tire.

If you are getting abnormal wear (excessive inner/outer, etc.), then you will want to look at other factors (inflation pressure, alignment, etc.).

If you get 10,000 or 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, but it's even wear, there's no problem with the car. You may want a different type of tire if that's all your able to get and you think it's bad, but there's not much you can do about the car.

If you're getting less mileage, but it's down to the cords in the inner and still has 6/32" on the middle, then you may want to look at an alignment or front No. 2 control arm bushings from FIGS or similar. Only if you're getting unusual wear I would look into something like that, and in most cases that will be caused usually under heavy braking (especially combined with steering input -- such as a track day).

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-02-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 01:26 PM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Different tires will wear at different rates. In my opinion, if the tire is wearing evenly, whatever you get out of it is pretty much what you're going to get out of them, if it's not enough for what you think you should be getting, try a different tire.

If you are getting abnormal wear (excessive inner/outer, etc.), then you will want to look at other factors (inflation pressure, alignment, etc.).

If you get 10,000 or 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, but it's even wear, there's no problem with the car. You may want a different type of tire if that's all your able to get and you think it's bad, but there's not much you can do about the car.

If you're getting less mileage, but it's down to the cords in the inner and still has 6/32" on the middle, then you may want to look at an alignment or front No. 2 control arm bushings from FIGS or similar. Only if you're getting unusual wear I would look into something like that, and in most cases that will be caused usually under heavy braking (especially combined with steering input -- such as a track day).

Jeff

Well said