IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel Pump Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 10:06 AM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Help Please

I have a 2007 IS250. Around 95K miles. Third owner, been in TX its whole life.
The car is my daily driver. Couple weeks ago I parked it the garage, then did not drive it for a week or so because of the holidays. Monday morning, the car would not run. It started (turned over) then immediately shut off. "Check VSC" light came on.

I immediately suspect it is the fuel pump or fuel line. I replaced the battery (it was 4 years old already) with a Optima redtop just to make sure. Checked all the fuses related to the fuel pump.
Everything looked good. So now I'm trying to check the fuel pump itself.

The fuel pump is under the rear seat on the driver side. (There is also a similar looking plate on the passenger side, but i figured it is on the driver side because that is the side where the gas door is.

My question is this. I want to check the electrical connection first to see if there is something wrong with the electric or the fuel pump itself.

Can someone help me with a wiring diagram or something so I can put my voltmeter on the connector and find out it there is juice going to the fuel pump.

I've attached a picture. It is a white plug with 4 wires going to it. I've labeled the plugs for ease of discussion.

Also, I've searched, but did not anything DIY fuel pump on the 2nd Gen IS, but if someone knows of one, please share.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Help Please-img_1654.jpg   Fuel Pump Help Please-img_1653.jpg  
Old 01-31-15, 04:07 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try to start it again since replacing your battery? Does the engine crank and just not start? If it was running fine when you parked it I doubt you have a bad pump. You could however have water in your gas. As the car sat it allowed the water to sink to the bottom of the tank and get sucked up into the rail while you started the car.

Also check the battery negative grounding bolt that bolts to the body of the car.

Hold the gas to the floor while cranking to clear out the cylinders. And try starting the car again.
Old 01-31-15, 06:20 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I tried all of that.
Also tried opening the gas tank to let the pressure out. Holding the Brake and Gas line down together. No avail.
Old 01-31-15, 06:57 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

What does the car do when you try starting it? Just cranks? Do you have any aftermarket remote start on your vehicle? Also can you tell me if the red security light goes off with key on.
Old 01-31-15, 07:06 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

It cranks and starts then dies. No aftermarket remote start.

Are you talking about the battery in the key FOB?
Old 01-31-15, 07:32 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

No the red security light near the clock. But since you say the car does start then dies then the car knows the key.
Well we know you need air, fuel and spark to run. Make sure that the intake tube from the air filter box to throttle body is on tight and not loose at either end causing a leak. If air is not going past the mass air it will cause this type of condition. Let me know and report back.
Old 01-31-15, 08:21 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on when you push the start button, it will make a buzzing noise for a second or two. Do you not hear that? If not, I would check the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment fuse box... Btw, In addition to the in tank fuel pump there is also a high pressure fuel pump on the engine...
Old 02-01-15, 01:17 AM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sceptre
Also, I've searched, but did not anything DIY fuel pump on the 2nd Gen IS, but if someone knows of one, please share.

Thank you in advance.
Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ACE_2.pdf (63.5 KB, 622 views)
Old 02-04-15, 12:47 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
No the red security light near the clock. But since you say the car does start then dies then the car knows the key.
Well we know you need air, fuel and spark to run. Make sure that the intake tube from the air filter box to throttle body is on tight and not loose at either end causing a leak. If air is not going past the mass air it will cause this type of condition. Let me know and report back.
Everything is intact. Nothing has been disconnected that i can see

Originally Posted by mike33
You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on when you push the start button, it will make a buzzing noise for a second or two. Do you not hear that? If not, I would check the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment fuse box... Btw, In addition to the in tank fuel pump there is also a high pressure fuel pump on the engine...
i did not hear anything. I saw that fuel pump relay (green one) i can't seem to pull it out. Do you know if it is attached by screws or something or need to remove the whole box?

Originally Posted by xhackr
Here you go...
Thanks I'll look into this.
Old 02-04-15, 04:29 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

If you have a code reader see if there are any codes. Possible water in the gas or rodent bit into some wires.
Old 05-13-20, 07:55 AM
Lethallex
Driver School Candidate

Do not know if this will help but , I have a 09 IS250 had the same problem had the fuel pump changed at a Toyota dealership... Car ran fine for about a month then one morning did the same thing all over again... I had it towed back and they said one of the fuel pump assembly clips had came off causing it to shut off due to the amount of oxygen getting in! So they drilled a hole in the clip and installed a screw to hold it down! Car runs fine now and I did not have to pay a dime!!! They told me the fuel pump assembly for my IS was on national back order so hope this helps! They also quoted the assembly at almost $900 installed!!!! Best of Luck
Old 05-14-20, 02:32 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did u try and unplug your fuel pressure sensor and then try starting the car. If it starts and runs then it may be that sensor is bad. It will be in a limp mode and won't drive past 35mph or so. The sensor is smack dab in the middle of the motor in the back under the black plastic intake plenum. It's hard to get to without taking the plenum off but I have reach my arm back there from the driver's side and got to it. Just unplug your break booster vacuum hose and cold start fuel injector electrical clip. It's very tight but doable.

Aathon H.
Old 05-14-20, 06:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Guys, you are responding to a thread from more than five years ago!