IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found some damage on bumper, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 09:15 AM
ckorbel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found some damage on bumper, need some advice.

First time post here, but I have used the forums before to get information regarding problems with my car. I live in the DFW area in Texas, and noticed some damage to my bumper. I am assuming someone pulled up to close, and rear ended my car. My question is to anyone who has experience with body work what the cost would be to repair the damage. There is a slight indentation from what looks like a license plate, and a hole from probably the screw that holds it in place. I usually take my car to Sewell off lemon for service as that is where I bought the car, and they have always been good to me. If anyone from the area has any recommendations that would be great too.

Thank you,

Chris K.
Attached Thumbnails Found some damage on bumper, need some advice.-img_20150213_092327.jpg  
Old 02-13-15, 09:54 AM
POZEST
Driver School Candidate

I wish to tack on a question regarding bumpers (say front bumper) regarding paint chips from pebbles on teh road.

I purchased my IS 250 pre-owned from Longo... I figure Long may have sprayed fresh coat and clear on the bumper prior to my purchase to make it look 'sell-able'. A year later, my front bumper has a lot of small chips/knicks from pebbles on the road..

Would that repaint by Longo have made the front bumper more susceptible to chips?

And now that I will have the bumper re-painted, should I A. just have the body shop put a now 3rd coat over everthing, or have them sand it down back to the bare bumper and have them re-prime, re-paint & re-clear?
In your opinion which would be best and which would minimize chipping going forward on the front bumper that again is exposed to the road.(l.a. freeways).
Old 02-13-15, 10:27 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POZEST
In your opinion which would be best and which would minimize chipping going forward on the front bumper that again is exposed to the road.(l.a. freeways).
Clear bra.

And to the OP... a$$holes. That sucks. You can have it filled and painted, but to do it right, you replace the bumper.
Old 02-14-15, 12:03 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

^ +1

There is no way around it, you will have to have the damage or hole repaired and then bumper repainted entirely.

However, can' really tell from the picture, but depending on the exact location of the hole, you can probably hide it with a myride rear diffuser if you interested in that set up. If not, just fix and repaint the bumper.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-15, 02:16 PM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess here is your chance to buy the ISF bumper form Lexus and do the conversion.
Old 02-14-15, 02:18 PM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. I got nailed by a lady with a BMW X5 yesterday. Such a sad day.
Old 02-14-15, 02:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by xhackr
And to the OP... a$$holes. That sucks. You can have it filled and painted, but to do it right, you replace the bumper.
For that kind of damage, bumper replacement is overkill. The indentation just needs to be filled, sanded and the whole bumper painted. Take it to a good body shop, not a dealer, for an estimate.

Lou
Old 02-14-15, 07:05 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Have similar minor damages on my rear bumper too. Someone "kissed" my rear bumper with their front plate holder. Have permanent screw head indentions that over time I've just said screw it.
Old 02-15-15, 10:22 AM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
For that kind of damage, bumper replacement is overkill. The indentation just needs to be filled, sanded and the whole bumper painted. Take it to a good body shop, not a dealer, for an estimate.

Lou
You may think it is overkill, and for some, repairing it at all would be overkill. The hole and the crease would have to be filled... using Bondo, et al., while cheap, is not best practices. It depends on his perception, the value of the vehicle, and how long he plans on keeping it.

Last edited by xhackr; 02-15-15 at 10:26 AM.