IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 350 - ABS/Trac/Check VSC lights all on - help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 07:49 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 350 - ABS/Trac/Check VSC lights all on - help?

Hey all.

I have a 2006 IS350 with 103,000 miles on it. Great car.

My problem is that I bought it with the Check VSC message on alongside the ABS and Traction control off lights all on. Nothing I can do will turn them off. No check engine light or codes on my scanner come up. I've tried to pull the battery to reset the ecu with no luck. Car drives 100% fine otherwise. Just not ABS or traction. It was never involved in a wreck.

The guy I bought it from says he tried to jumpstart the car with the cables backwards by mistake and after that happened, this was the result. He changed the battery out for a new one and it didn't fix it so he never did anything else. He had to replace the fuseblock after that happened.

Any ideas where to start before I drop serious cash at a dealership for them to track this down? I'm hoping for a faulty wheel speed sensor or something cheap.
Old 06-05-15, 08:05 AM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, but I think that causes a fuse to blow to prevent major damage. It's happened a few times at the Toyota dealerships I've worked at. Almost every time it was a fuse or something that they replaced. I hate to say it, but it's not one of the cheap ones Maybe some one else here will know what fuse it is...
Old 06-05-15, 08:51 AM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

I would start by going through ALL of the fuses and check that they're good. Sounds like the DA that switched the battery terminals/cables caused major electrical damages, and probably caused a fuse to blow that wasn't related to the replaced fuse block you mentioned.

Good luck, I HATE electrical issues!
Old 06-05-15, 02:23 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the ABS fuse...
Old 06-06-15, 08:39 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

The more that I think about it the more that I think it's probably a fuse related to the ABS or traction control systems, because with a perfectly working car if you were to remove any of the ABS fuses it should in theory give you this trifecta of lights exactly as I have....traction abs vsc all together as they are related. My bet is on an ABS fuse because without that the traction system cannot function nor can the stability system function because there's no motor to pulsate the brakes with the abs system out.

I'll give it a shot. I just wish that there was a way to test those big fuses, if there is anyway to do that can somebody let me know? I only know how to test fuses that have two connections with my multimeter not ones with three or four.

Any other ideas while I'm at it?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-15, 09:08 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Patsum
The more that I think about it the more that I think it's probably a fuse related to the ABS or traction control systems, because with a perfectly working car if you were to remove any of the ABS fuses it should in theory give you this trifecta of lights exactly as I have....traction abs vsc all together as they are related. My bet is on an ABS fuse because without that the traction system cannot function nor can the stability system function because there's no motor to pulsate the brakes with the abs system out.

I'll give it a shot. I just wish that there was a way to test those big fuses, if there is anyway to do that can somebody let me know? I only know how to test fuses that have two connections with my multimeter not ones with three or four.

Any other ideas while I'm at it?

Thanks!
are you referring to a high amp fuse like 120A or a relay with 3 prongs?
Old 06-09-15, 09:10 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

The ones I am talking about are to the right of the engine when looking at the car under a panel with 3-4 either fuses or relays that say ABS and are blue. No idea how to test these. (drivers side) I caved and dropped the car off at lexus and they are diagnosing it. I will report back to what the issue ends up being.
Old 06-09-15, 09:48 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

every fuse needs to be checked. even ones you would never expect to be in the abs circuit
Old 07-09-19, 10:59 PM
Antc2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Patsum
The ones I am talking about are to the right of the engine when looking at the car under a panel with 3-4 either fuses or relays that say ABS and are blue. No idea how to test these. (drivers side) I caved and dropped the car off at lexus and they are diagnosing it. I will report back to what the issue ends up being.
What was the problem?? I have the same issues rn