Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 02:20 PM
igoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers issue in the "is 250 2007"

Hi All,
I have a weird issue with my Head unit (not multimedia),
when the engine is off and the switch is on the system works fine but after I turn the engine on the system resets and the speakers stop working as if the speakers were muted.

please advice
Old 07-13-15, 08:26 AM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this issue before, it is intermittent and doesn't happen that often. I usually unplug the amp in the trunk, start the car, let it run a few mins, the shut it off and plug the amp back in. Not sure if that's what your supposed to do, or even it is good for it, but it seems to make it work for a few months trouble free...
Old 07-13-15, 08:46 AM
CustomIce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking from "aftermarket" install perspective (bare with me here there is a point) listening with the engine off powers the amps and then dumping the power to start the engine in aftermarket systems will often cause a "pop" as the amp powers off and then is brought back to life quickly. It's to do with the capacitors in the power supply not fully discharging so the output devices are still partially "alive" when power is restored, this causes a spike to be created in the audio output stage.

A number of manufacturers of OEM kit tend to have a mute circuit that will protect speakers from this potentially damaging problem.
My suspicion would be that if you listened with the ignition on but engine off, then pulled the key - all off, waited 10 seconds and then started the engine the system would work as intended.

Now if this were a bit of software i'd say it'd be a bug!
Old 07-14-15, 07:01 AM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CustomIce
Speaking from "aftermarket" install perspective (bare with me here there is a point) listening with the engine off powers the amps and then dumping the power to start the engine in aftermarket systems will often cause a "pop" as the amp powers off and then is brought back to life quickly. It's to do with the capacitors in the power supply not fully discharging so the output devices are still partially "alive" when power is restored, this causes a spike to be created in the audio output stage.

A number of manufacturers of OEM kit tend to have a mute circuit that will protect speakers from this potentially damaging problem.
My suspicion would be that if you listened with the ignition on but engine off, then pulled the key - all off, waited 10 seconds and then started the engine the system would work as intended.

Now if this were a bit of software i'd say it'd be a bug!
Sounds very like my issue! If I turn on my speaker sometime I would hear a "pop" then silent. Other times, the speaker would sound perfectly fine. Everytime I turn on the car, there's like a 50-50 chance that my speaker would work. (the previous owner had amp installed then removed)

OT: My 07 also has this issue, perhaps it's not a coincidence..?