IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Lexus owner's first issue - Keyfob

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15 | 06:04 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Default New Lexus owner's first issue - Keyfob

I just bought my first Lexus, a 2009 IS250, and LOVE it!!

After finding that the spare keyfob didn't work on the car, I changed the battery and no help. I see the little LED light, so power (and some limited function) is OK in the device. But it makes me wonder if it's a spare fob for the wrong car.

What are my options?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-15 | 06:15 PM
j3ff
Advanced

What kind of limited function are you getting? Is the fob being detected as you approach (Courtesy lights coming on)?
Old 07-27-15 | 06:22 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Sorry, J3ff, but "limited function", I meant turning the LED on. lol That's pretty limited! The car doesn't sense the fob as I approach, the fob won't toggle the door locks, open the trunk, nothing. The car calmly ignores it.

It also has some odd black and white label on the back of it with "2009 Lexus IS250 P5260" I don't know if this comes from Lexus this way, or it's a dealer label or......?
Old 07-27-15 | 07:23 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Hmm. In that case it sounds like it's not programmed for your car. I'd check the fcc id and IC codes on the both of your fobs first to make sure they match first; then at least we know it's the right model. Then I'd bring it back to the dealer for programming .
Old 07-27-15 | 08:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I wonder if the original owner lost an original fob, picked up a replacement or a used one on eBay, and never had it programmed...
Old 07-28-15 | 05:20 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Ah! Good advice! I checked the two codes on the fobs and they match. So if they DID get a replacement separately, it at least matches. I would think that this means that it's not really emitting anything then, as in broken. Think it could just be programming at the dealer, still? Just hate walking into a dealership "cold" with a puzzle. lol

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-28-15 | 05:27 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-OBD2-Smart-Key-Maker-Programmer-KeyMaker-brand-new-/320862964599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4ec4b77
this might help
Old 07-29-15 | 10:38 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Holy smokes, didn't know these thing exists.
Old 07-30-15 | 04:25 AM
SparkLex
Rookie

I think I'm too scared to plug something like that into my new car's brains and hope it ONLY does what I want it to. haha. I read the instructions for it, and they're not to clear due to translation.

Has anyone bought one of these and used it successfully?
Old 07-30-15 | 05:18 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SparkLex
I think I'm too scared to plug something like that into my new car's brains and hope it ONLY does what I want it to. haha. I read the instructions for it, and they're not to clear due to translation.

Has anyone bought one of these and used it successfully?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-keymaker.html
Old 07-30-15 | 09:12 AM
iKeyless
Former Sponsor

TS it sounds like the keyfob is not programmed to the car.

If the malfunctioning key is either brand new / never before programmed OR has previously been programmed to your car, a dealer or locksmith with the appropriate tools can reprogram it to the vehicle with really no problems. It's rare for a key to simply lose programming. If it appears in perfect physical condition, perhaps it is new and never programmed to the car?

If it is a used key that has not previously been programmed to your car, you may be able to use it. As J3ff mentioned, you must first check to ensure the FCC ID's on the back of the keys are the same. If the FCC ID ends with AAB, there are two of these keys that look identical and they are NOT interchangeable. One is for earlier, roughly 2005-2006 Lexus and the other is for roughly 2007-newer. I can't recall which one is which. It's in the top corner of the PCB inside the key, near the LED. One part number is 0140 and the other is 3370. If your unprogrammed key matches the one that works, you can have it programmed.

As far as programming goes, I would strongly recommend you contact a locksmith in your area that program used Lexus keys. That is a guaranteed way to get it working. They have to reset the immobilizer on your vehicle to program a used key to it, so you definitely want to ensure they have the ability to program used Lexus keys because not all locksmith / key programming equipment can reset the immobilizer, which is the only way to add used keys to it.

You could also ask a dealer but I'm honestly not sure if they can program used keys.

My recommendation for you would be to ensure the keys match and just have it reprogrammed by a locksmith with the credentials listed above. It will be less expensive if they have a showroom you can drive to rather than them come to you. This is a quick, surefire, (comparatively) inexpensive way to get the key working on your car again.
Old 07-30-15 | 09:15 AM
iKeyless
Former Sponsor

Regarding the orange keymaker, it only programs virgin i.e. never before programmed smart keys or transponder chips. It is also perfectly capable of toasting the ECU in your car. Heard of it multiple times. You don't have to replace the ECU but it must be reprogrammed, if i recall.

It does however work the majority of the time I hear.
Old 07-30-15 | 09:37 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

if you have existing or extended warranty which covers the key fob, take the battery out and put it in a tupperware, microwave for 4-5 seconds and ask dealership to replace under warranty.
Old 07-30-15 | 11:36 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKeyless
Regarding the orange keymaker, it only programs virgin i.e. never before programmed smart keys or transponder chips. It is also perfectly capable of toasting the ECU in your car. Heard of it multiple times. You don't have to replace the ECU but it must be reprogrammed, if i recall.

It does however work the majority of the time I hear.
Wait, really? I never heard that before. How does it toast the ECU? I have been using some cheap bluetooth tool that scans my ECU for codes. The tool only cost like $10.
Old 07-31-15 | 10:50 AM
iKeyless
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Wait, really? I never heard that before. How does it toast the ECU? I have been using some cheap bluetooth tool that scans my ECU for codes. The tool only cost like $10.
I can't vouch for your tool, but it sounds like it's just a better tool LOL. Keep in mind we work with hundreds of professionals in the industry where tools like the orange toyota dongle show up and get tested / used quite frequently. Again, they work, but they have caused issues.

On Lexus / Toyota, transponder information is stored in two places - on the column (or at the start button, if it's push button start) and at the ECU. The orange dongle takes the serial number from your key and writes it to the ECU directly, and it says "ok, this key can start the car now".

Any time you are writing to a computer of any sort in a vehicle you run the risk of damages. Even factory toyota tools can cause problems, The difference however is many times they have the ability to undo or repair the changes, which the orange (also available in blue) dongle does not offer. It's too "dumb".

If you use one for the key programming, use a voltage maintainer and you can significantly reduce your issues of something going wrong. Also make sure you have brand spanking new keys.