IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Want input on choosing between 06 or 07 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 03:33 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want input on choosing between 06 or 07 IS350

Hello everyone, I'm new here and need some help, I found an 06 IS350 with 94k miles, sport package, nav, no mark levinson system. Has chrome OEM wheels that are not that great(could be painted). Recently found an 07 with 108k miles, has Mark levinson system doesn't have sport package, they both have everything else the same (Nav, heated/cooled seats etc), Is the Sport package really worth it? im leaning towards the 07 because I like being able to turn off traction control with a button. Both are priced around the same also. Just wanting to get peoples input on which you would choose. Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-15, 07:53 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i recommend the 07' because its probably your best option. You already name how there's a switch for traction control, that there is a win plus the ML system. GL
Old 08-31-15, 07:55 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Keo
i recommend the 07' because its probably your best option. You already name how there's a switch for traction control, that there is a win plus the ML system. GL
Ya, im deff leaning towards the 07, the Sport package just doesn't seem like it ads that much to make it worth more to me. Thanks for the input
Old 09-01-15, 11:51 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

I love my sports pkg equipped '06; gives me ALL options except for the RARE radar-assisted cruise control and the rear sunshade. But having the T/C removal feature with simply a push and hold of a button IS quite nice. Honestly, to me...the ML audio pkg isn't everything its cracked up to be. I've read on CL here of more ML sub and amp failures than the factory non-ML systems.

Either way, win win cuz its a IS350!
Old 09-01-15, 12:57 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stunned
Hello everyone, I'm new here and need some help, I found an 06 IS350 with 94k miles, sport package, nav, no mark levinson system. Has chrome OEM wheels that are not that great(could be painted). Recently found an 07 with 108k miles, has Mark levinson system doesn't have sport package, they both have everything else the same (Nav, heated/cooled seats etc), Is the Sport package really worth it? im leaning towards the 07 because I like being able to turn off traction control with a button. Both are priced around the same also. Just wanting to get peoples input on which you would choose. Thanks for the help
Well I would say the 2006 since it has less mileage and sport package. But since it doesn't have ML , and you don't seem to like the chrome wheels , I say go for the 07 if the price is right. Also I would advise you keep searching, as I'm sure you may find an even better deal but if you must than I suppose the 07 will do the trick.

The difference's between the Sport and the Non sport (assuming it's not a luxury model) is that the sport gets aluminum pedals, Hids stock, sport suspension, memory seats, steering wheel memory which is pretty neat, and basically the closest you can get to fully loaded minus the rear sun shade and illuminated door sills. Also you get a gray ish color interior trim (I forgot what the material is called lol) instead of Woodgrain which was a plus for me when I bought mine, as I don't like the wood grain.

So just keep that in mind if any of those options mean anything to you, but I guarantee you can get a great deal if you look hard enough. I bought my 06 is350 last year in May for $18,000. It had sports package and ML so it was perfect for me and only 78k miles. I too originally wanted an 07 for the easy traction defeat, but after doing the pedal dance a few times it became absolutely second nature. I don't even realize I do it sometimes lol. Hope this helps
Old 09-02-15, 09:47 AM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

The difference's between the Sport and the Non sport (assuming it's not a luxury model) is that the sport gets aluminum pedals, Hids stock, sport suspension, memory seats, steering wheel memory which is pretty neat, and basically the closest you can get to fully loaded minus the rear sun shade and illuminated door sills. Also you get a gray ish color interior trim (I forgot what the material is called lol) instead of Woodgrain which was a plus for me when I bought mine, as I don't like the wood grain.

So just keep that in mind if any of those options mean anything to you, but I guarantee you can get a great deal if you look hard enough. I bought my 06 is350 last year in May for $18,000. It had sports package and ML so it was perfect for me and only 78k miles. I too originally wanted an 07 for the easy traction defeat, but after doing the pedal dance a few times it became absolutely second nature. I don't even realize I do it sometimes lol. Hope this helps
Thanks for the input, you deff made this harder to decide, lol. Both cars are around 15.5k which is a lot less than anyone else in my area. So price wise I think they are fine, its just going to depend on what year I want and what features.
Old 09-02-15, 10:44 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Want input on choosing between 06 or 07 IS350

Do a history service report by vin number on both to help you better decide.
Old 09-02-15, 10:47 AM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Do a history service report by vin number on both to help you better decide.
Ya, I have done that on both, the only thing that was a little worrying is on the 07 the person brought it in for a low oil light and they added 2.4q of oil, and a little later they did an oil consumption test but apparently the owner never completed it. I talked to a tech and he said it happens and that the person had brought the car to the dealer since that time. So I am a little weary since there could be a oil consumption issue and I would not really be able to know until I own in.
Old 09-02-15, 01:19 PM
Gville350

^2.4qts low is pretty low in my book. Sounds like either the owner didn't do regular maintenance to it or didn't really monitor the vehicle's health. I'd stay away after reading that.
Old 09-02-15, 02:24 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^2.4qts low is pretty low in my book. Sounds like either the owner didn't do regular maintenance to it or didn't really monitor the vehicle's health. I'd stay away after reading that.
Ya, after looking into it more, and talking to people, and really thinking about it, I really dont want to take a chance. Thanks for the input. I will be getting the 06 this Friday.
Old 09-03-15, 02:18 PM
Gville350

I love my '06 IS350! In fact, it reached it's 10 yr birthday this month! YAY!
Old 09-03-15, 02:21 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
I love my '06 IS350! In fact, it reached it's 10 yr birthday this month! YAY!
Nice, Ya I am just waiting for the place to fix the Touchscreen, so Hopefully tomorrow it will be done, Im coming from an 350whp STI, so the change will be pretty interesting. Congrats on the 10 years.
Old 09-03-15, 02:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

07 is my vote. 1st year model usually have minor kinks. And the 06 does not have the fin antenna (lol), can tell it is an 06.

Joking aside, really depends on quality of mileage (if can be determined, pleasure, work car, etc), history of the service on the car (service history from Lexus dealers), number of owners and finally type of prior owners (young, old, women, men).
Old 09-03-15, 07:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stunned
Nice, Ya I am just waiting for the place to fix the Touchscreen, so Hopefully tomorrow it will be done, Im coming from an 350whp STI, so the change will be pretty interesting. Congrats on the 10 years.
Awesome! Great to hear you've decided!! Just Make sure you do a good inspection in the car before you purchase it.

I actually happened to have been cross shopping a few vehicles before getting my is350. One of them being an 04 STI and the other a C5 generation corvette. Obviously I chose the Lexus in the end and many questioned me why?? Well basically I figured , sure the STI was fast, and the corvette was too, but stock vs stock
Vs stock. They wernt that far apart in straight line acceleration, so I chose the car that spoke to me the most , and one that I feel fits me better overall. And the cheap interior of the vette wasn't doing it for me, or the lack of features in the STi. Not that they weren't awesome cars in their own right, but I needed something that made a good Daily too, and Id rather drive back and forth to work and travel in a car with nice leather seats and various creature comforts vs what is basically a race car.

Plus the IS350 doesn't scream for attention like an STI or corvette. And no one ever expects a lexus to be as quick as this is lol 😁 Not saying it's super fast cuz it's not but it definitely leaves Mustangs, G35's, 350z's, s2000''s etc., surprised

Edit: I also forgot to mention, I had a run in with a 06 STi the other day coming home from best buy. I had a passenger with me and he didnt, but he claimed he had to wheels in his trunk. Anywho... we started chasing each other through some back road and at one point I got behind him and as he stepped on it , I did too, and to my surprise he was pulling but very very slowly . Afterwards we pulled over and I asked him about his ride and what he had done to it and he said he was "only stage 2" which I guess means he had a turbo back exhaust and some sort of tune (I've heard that's good for about 305 whp or so). I was very happy my car did as good as it did and went home with a big smile knowing that even though Im slower, I still have a far better interior than he does and I'm only slightly behind him Honestly makes me pretty sure I can beat a stock one if we do a dig. (Maybe.. lol)
Old 09-04-15, 12:51 PM
Gville350

^Very good point, the IS350 is very unassuming. People/cops don't give it any attention. Go to the track; when you start to beat on V8 Mustangs, it'll turn some heads!

Quick Reply: Want input on choosing between 06 or 07 IS350