IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replace or try to fix transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 07:32 PM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner took this car to Lexus before I purchased the car to have the transmission checked . They recommended replacing the transmission and quoted her $5000. So replacing the filter, testing the solenoids and spending $40 on some compliant fluid seems like a good gamble to take.
Old 10-12-15, 08:04 PM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Update:
After 150 miles after 2 partial flushes, testing the solenoids and a new filter, all the symptoms returned, will not shift beyond 4th gear and P2757, P0894, P2714.

I purchased a used transmission today with 70K miles with a 90 day warranty from a local salvage yard. I wanted to get a lower mileage one, but the yards that had them would not give a warranty unless it was installed by an ASE garage. I'll be spending the weekend under the car.
Old 10-13-15, 07:00 AM
g1itchgsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did you pay for that used transmission? I talked to a few different shops and all recommend me to replace or rebuild my transmission.. I was told that the solenoids will test fine but will still pop codes after a flush / drain and refill shortly after, so best route is replace all solenoids flashing a code. Cheapest quote was $2400 with a 1 year warranty (includes replacement of the clutches, torque converter, solenoids flashing a code and anything else that needs to be replaced)
Old 10-13-15, 09:16 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

I paid $750 plus tax and that included their extended 90 warranty.
From what I have read, on rebuilt transmission, they will only replace the solenoids if they test bad. A re-manufactured one may or may not have new solenoids, but they run anywhere from $3-4K.

I'm not sure if I will keep this car for too much longer, and did not want to break the bank on the transmission, so I went with a good used one for now.
Old 10-13-15, 01:33 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had; but it just solidifies my opinion on a failing trans and to just replace it rather than try to "fix" it. Good luck with the install!
Old 10-19-15, 11:10 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

The salvage yard transmission was installed over the weekend. It took me about 15 hours to do this by myself, including a lot of time trying to figure out how to release electrical connections and running to the parts store to buy more tools. I drove the car to work this morning and so far so good. It's shifting much smoother than the original one.

For anyone attempting to do this swap in the future, it is not necessary to remove the right exhaust manifold as a couple threads on CL mentioned. It would make it easier, but I don't think its worth the effort. The TIS service manual did not call for it to be removed. It would make removing the coolant lines easier, but they will come off if you are persistent.

I'll be a happy camper if I get 75K miles out of this one. I'll plan to do a partial flush every 30k miles going forward and hope that extends the miles from this one.
Old 10-19-15, 02:34 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you do the partial drain/refill now? its at 75k nows a good time oil is prob dirty
Originally Posted by pauls927
The salvage yard transmission was installed over the weekend. It took me about 15 hours to do this by myself, including a lot of time trying to figure out how to release electrical connections and running to the parts store to buy more tools. I drove the car to work this morning and so far so good. It's shifting much smoother than the original one.

For anyone attempting to do this swap in the future, it is not necessary to remove the right exhaust manifold as a couple threads on CL mentioned. It would make it easier, but I don't think its worth the effort. The TIS service manual did not call for it to be removed. It would make removing the coolant lines easier, but they will come off if you are persistent.

I'll be a happy camper if I get 75K miles out of this one. I'll plan to do a partial flush every 30k miles going forward and hope that extends the miles from this one.
Old 10-20-15, 06:08 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

This replacement was completely flushed. The torque converter and transmission were completely drained before installation.

BTW, has anyone been able to find the correct transmission pan gasket at a local autoparts store? None of the stores in Houston seem to have the correct gasket.....the filter was a good match, but the gasket I have found all seem to be for the AWD version. The gasket for the A960E should be rectangular, and all the aftermarket brands seem to have an angle at one corner. I bought part FK418 from O'Riellys with this incorrect gasket, and they say that is all they list for that car. Fel pro shows a 12 bolt hole gasket, and I need the 20 hole one.

I have ordered the correct one from Lexus for over $30.
Old 10-21-15, 12:43 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Some expert here claims that the ATF in the IS is lifetime and we are not as smart as the engineers that design them if we think we need to change the ATF, or it is impossible to change it.

Yup, lifetime transmission fluid and the transmission dies at 150k miles with brown fluid. I personally would do the drain and refill every 15k-30k miles starting at 90k miles mark. It is true that you cannot replace a lot of the fluid (i.e. only a couple quart over 9 quart total), but if you replace a fraction of the worn out fluid on a regular basis it would still be better than ignoring it.

Or bring it to a place that has a flush machine and flush the whole transmission using Toyota WS from the heat ex-changer, $240 is a good price if it includes the fluid. Yes, you will waste a lot of fluid (i.e. double the amount because new fluid will come out during a flush).

Transmission these days should last at least 250k miles if it is designed right and fluid changed on a regular basis.
Old 10-21-15, 12:47 PM
PandaBear
Driver

I paid $750 plus tax and that included their extended 90 warranty.
From what I have read, on rebuilt transmission, they will only replace the solenoids if they test bad. A re-manufactured one may or may not have new solenoids, but they run anywhere from $3-4K.

I'm not sure if I will keep this car for too much longer, and did not want to break the bank on the transmission, so I went with a good used one for now.
Solenoid is not a wear item, they are not friction clutch, brake, or band that will wear out like brake pads. They usually last the lifetime of the transmission.
Old 10-21-15, 10:10 PM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

PandaBear, I do agree that the fluid needs to be changed regularly too. I have heard of people saying Lexus can flush it, but I really do not see how. The heat exchange on this transmission only lets engine coolant into the exchange to cool the transmission fluid. As far as I know, there is no way to flush the fluid with the heat exchange as you do with a conventional transmission with cooler lines that go to your radiator. I tilted my salvage transmission bell housing side down for a couple days. When i filled it back up, it took over 7.5 quarts, so I know over 95% of the fluid was changed. A recent check of the fluid still shows it to be clear red.

As far as solenoid life, I don't have any expertise here. I received several error codes pointing to them and also read on this forum to change certain ones for certain codes. Even though the tested good, at $200 each, I would rather a good used transmission.
Old 10-21-15, 10:30 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bringing my IS350 to dealer this weekend to get transmission flush. Got P0894 code and one awhile will not shift pass 3rd gear. Might need to get used transmission later and get it install at local transmission shop.
Old 10-21-15, 10:43 PM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

MWIS350, That is one of the codes I got on mine!!
If you get a chance, ask them exactly how do they perform the flush and how much of the fluid is changed.

I did find good low mileage (sub 11k miles) transmisson on car-part.com if you don't already have a source, but I did not use them since they only offer a warranty if installed in ASE certified garage. My garage does not meet this qualification. :-)
Old 10-22-15, 08:25 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MWIS350, That is one of the codes I got on mine!!
If you get a chance, ask them exactly how do they perform the flush and how much of the fluid is changed.

I did find good low mileage (sub 11k miles) transmisson on car-part.com if you don't already have a source, but I did not use them since they only offer a warranty if installed in ASE certified garage. My garage does not meet this qualification. :-)
Lexus dealer have machine that's flush out all cooling. They charge $250+taxes and take about 1 1/2 hour. I hav contact Lexus headquarter they say give them a call after dealer scan the check engine code. I'll check out Car-part.com. Thank
Old 10-26-15, 01:12 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I changed my trans oil a couple of weekends ago and man, it looked soOo black and burnt out. There was not a hint of red in there at all! So far the shifts are a bit smoother, no clutch smells, no slipping, no codes, but then again I havnt got the codes for like...6 months prior to the change anyway. =\

Definitely going to change the oil a couple of more times in hopes of flushing everything out.

Quick Reply: Replace or try to fix transmission