IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Here Concerned about buying at 90K mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 03:19 PM
CarNoob13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here Concerned about buying at 90K mile

hey guys i'm a new member here, and I honestly registered here because i'm not quite sure what to do.

I'm 26 and finally ready to buy my first decent car. Woohoo! haha. Option number one is a red/maroon 2006 lexus IS350 with 90K miles on it. The craigslist posting can be seen here.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5234554791.html

Today the owner who is a very nice 50 year old man, drove 20 minutes to my town because I wanted my mechanic to look at everything. He plugged it in and did his thing, took it for a drive all the good stuff and he gave me the nod. I took it for a spin and fell in love with it. I've been driving beaters my whole life and am going from a 1999 dodge Dakota with 230K miles on it so something much better. The car was beautifully kept on the inside. The owner is selling it because he has 2 other cars for the family and just cant afford to pay for something that's sitting on the driveway going nowhere. He works for a reputable company around here, and for the last 2 years has been bringing his company car home with him everyday and really has barley used the lexus and its time to go. He had no problem driving out today to meet me, my dad, and the mechanic. The only thing that needs a little fixing is one part of the vinyl in the front in which the owner stopped at Lexus on his way home with he warranty stuff and ordered a new piece so it could be fixed in a week. I'm just worried about the 90K miles and how these cars hold up. It was even nicer then the pics showed and I prefer black but I really need a car soon and I cant let that be a deal breaker.

Option number 2 would be to pass on the privately owned lexus, and save money for 2 more months to go after a 2009 infinity G37X with 66K miles on it from a dealership which can be seen here

http://www.liautofind.com/web/used/I...York/24752037/

It is listed at 13500, so i'm guessing best case scenario i'd get it for 12,500 and I only have 10,500 right now. I love the look, I love that it is 3 years younger with almost 30K miles less as well. The issue I have is, not knowing if a 3 year and 30K miles difference in the infiniti compared to the lexus is that big of a deal. IDK if I should hold off and suck it up driving this crappy truck for 2 more months and then spend all I got on the infiniti. I mean if the Infiniti will last 5 years longer then the lexus maybe I should hold off. If 30k miles isn't a huge deal then I think I would just buy the lexus save the extra few thousand dollars and call it a day.

I know i'm all over the place here and idk if this place is like other forums where i'll get the tl;dr posts lol but hey I gave it a shot. As I stated the lexus really caught me off guard at how nice (for me anyway) it was today, and on the way to meet the guy I didn't think i would like the color, but I ended up liking it a lot more then previously thought and its growing on me every minute, but if the smarter more practical thing to do is try and get that infiniti then i'll do that both cars are awesome. I just worry about passing on the lexus and then missing out on both cars haha

ANY feed back is much appreciated
Old 10-03-15, 03:37 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

90k is low mileage for that model year, get the Lexus service history, if everything has been done, no issues I would jump on it. I am not a fan of any Infinity product and just the sight of one sours my stomach.
Old 10-03-15, 04:12 PM
CarNoob13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfixer
90k is low mileage for that model year, get the Lexus service history, if everything has been done, no issues I would jump on it. I am not a fan of any Infinity product and just the sight of one sours my stomach.

thank you very much for the quick reply. We did the service history and all has checked out, and you can just tell it wasn't driven hard by the owner and overall everything worked out perfectly. it really felt like an amazingly perfect vehicle maybe just because I've been in crappy cars all my life, but I've been a passenger in some $30,000 cars and I swear this car just felt mint.
Old 10-03-15, 04:50 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to buy the Lexus, you joined the club. ha ha
Keep us posted and more pictures when you get it...
Mike
Old 10-03-15, 05:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The Lexus will be more reliable then the Infinity as long as the standard maintainece has been performed but I think you posed in the wrong section. This is for the LS models not the IS.
Old 10-04-15, 07:40 PM
Harpo
Rookie

You might also want some input from the IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) section, you're in LS!
Old 10-05-15, 03:27 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although you're in the wrong section it's definitely the IS over the Infiniti. 90k miles is nothing as others stated, you'll love that IS350. Reliable and a fun to drive car. Good luck my friend and let us know what you end up doing!
Old 10-05-15, 09:27 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Does the Lexus have nav and such? I would go for the IS 350.
Old 10-06-15, 01:49 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Having a '06 IS350 myself with 93k miles, I'd say go with the 2IS and you won't regret it!
Old 10-06-15, 02:01 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say go for the IS (the Infiniti is kinda boring looking IMHO). The G37 has 4 wheels drive which is a bonus during the winter but get a set of winter wheels and you should be OK.
As other said, check the services records and make sure it was well taken care of. Check closely around the water pump for side of leak and water pump's wear as the water pump tends to fail around this range of milage. Check for Timing Chain Cover leak while you are there.
Good luck.
Old 10-06-15, 05:22 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

90k miles is nothing. I have 85k and still drives like new. No rattling no grinding. Still holding up very well
Old 10-06-15, 09:35 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IS350 is one of the most reliable engine 90k is no issue. My 08 with 82k miles and run smooth like new.
Old 10-07-15, 03:53 PM
CarNoob13
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much guys for the priceless feedback you guys definitely put my mind at peace and i should have the car in a week from now. I will deff be sticking around this forum.

And my apologies for posting in the wrong section!!
Old 10-07-15, 07:38 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarNoob13
hey guys i'm a new member here, and I honestly registered here because i'm not quite sure what to do.

I'm 26 and finally ready to buy my first decent car. Woohoo! haha. Option number one is a red/maroon 2006 lexus IS350 with 90K miles on it. The craigslist posting can be seen here.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5234554791.html

Today the owner who is a very nice 50 year old man, drove 20 minutes to my town because I wanted my mechanic to look at everything. He plugged it in and did his thing, took it for a drive all the good stuff and he gave me the nod. I took it for a spin and fell in love with it. I've been driving beaters my whole life and am going from a 1999 dodge Dakota with 230K miles on it so something much better. The car was beautifully kept on the inside. The owner is selling it because he has 2 other cars for the family and just cant afford to pay for something that's sitting on the driveway going nowhere. He works for a reputable company around here, and for the last 2 years has been bringing his company car home with him everyday and really has barley used the lexus and its time to go. He had no problem driving out today to meet me, my dad, and the mechanic. The only thing that needs a little fixing is one part of the vinyl in the front in which the owner stopped at Lexus on his way home with he warranty stuff and ordered a new piece so it could be fixed in a week. I'm just worried about the 90K miles and how these cars hold up. It was even nicer then the pics showed and I prefer black but I really need a car soon and I cant let that be a deal breaker.

Option number 2 would be to pass on the privately owned lexus, and save money for 2 more months to go after a 2009 infinity G37X with 66K miles on it from a dealership which can be seen here

http://www.liautofind.com/web/used/I...York/24752037/

It is listed at 13500, so i'm guessing best case scenario i'd get it for 12,500 and I only have 10,500 right now. I love the look, I love that it is 3 years younger with almost 30K miles less as well. The issue I have is, not knowing if a 3 year and 30K miles difference in the infiniti compared to the lexus is that big of a deal. IDK if I should hold off and suck it up driving this crappy truck for 2 more months and then spend all I got on the infiniti. I mean if the Infiniti will last 5 years longer then the lexus maybe I should hold off. If 30k miles isn't a huge deal then I think I would just buy the lexus save the extra few thousand dollars and call it a day.

I know i'm all over the place here and idk if this place is like other forums where i'll get the tl;dr posts lol but hey I gave it a shot. As I stated the lexus really caught me off guard at how nice (for me anyway) it was today, and on the way to meet the guy I didn't think i would like the color, but I ended up liking it a lot more then previously thought and its growing on me every minute, but if the smarter more practical thing to do is try and get that infiniti then i'll do that both cars are awesome. I just worry about passing on the lexus and then missing out on both cars haha

ANY feed back is much appreciated
If everything checks out, id honestly get the is350 but of course on a lexus site your gonna get a bias... My car is an 06 Is350 with 112k miles at the moment and has been running strong since the day i got her a year ago. She had 80k on it at the time and as you can see, i have driven it a lot and I make sure I enjoy every mile. In other words , she gets pushed hard quite often , but simple maintenance and oil and still running strong

Honestly i gotta say that you should AT LEAST test drive the G37 before going with the is350 just so that you dont have any regrets what so ever , if you do so choose to get the lexus. But whatever you choose, mae sure its what YOU like and not anyone else. Good luck in whatever you do!