IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sounds like brake squeaking without applying brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 07:00 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Sounds like brake squeaking without applying brakes

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you guys hear this noise before. In the video below, you will hear the sound of me applying the brakes (you might have to turn it up a bit). I hear the same noise randomly, but little fainter and faster, when I'm just driving around without applying the brakes. The sound comes from the front it seems.

Does this mean my brake pads are worn out or the pads/something is touching? The pads were checked the last time I have the car service 1,600 miles ago, and they said it has 4mm left in the front and 6mm in the rear.

Old 12-03-15, 09:53 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess would be that your front pads are pretty much faded out since 4mm isnt much pad left ( i think your supposed to change pads once your at 3 or 2mm). Since that was 1,600 miles ago I am quite sure this is probably the case. Its either that, or you have some cheap pads lol.

You should take it to a shop to have them checked first though , theres a lot of places that do brake inspections for free. And if you replace them I recommend you get Ceramic pads since Semi-metallic pads tend to be cheap (depending on brand) and are more likely to squeal. Good luck
Old 12-04-15, 04:16 PM
20LS01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the wear indicators are making contact with the rotor. Time to change out your pads.
Old 12-04-15, 08:35 PM
mier
Rookie

or maybe your calibers are broken
Old 12-05-15, 06:04 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, your callipers are not broken.

Change your brake pads AND machine/replace your rotors

- the indicators on the pads are making the squeal
- the rotational squeal is because of uneven wear/warped rotors.
Old 12-05-15, 10:28 AM
nosurprise
Racer

OK, that makes sense; I just checked my service records where the dealer supposed to have checked the thickness of the pads. The records show they're 4mm for the last 10,000 miles ... I wonder if the dealer checks at all or do they just put 4mm if they don't think it needs to be replaced yet ...
Old 12-05-15, 02:59 PM
20LS01
Driver

Originally Posted by skullkandy
No, your callipers are not broken.

Change your brake pads AND machine/replace your rotors

- the indicators on the pads are making the squeal
- the rotational squeal is because of uneven wear/warped rotors.
Unless there is brake pulsation, he does NOT need to machine or replace rotors.

Last edited by 20LS01; 12-05-15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 05:08 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20LS01
Unless there is brake pulsation, he does NOT need to machine or replace rotors.
What? The most common cause of brake pulsation is warped rotors

Last edited by skullkandy; 12-07-15 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 07:15 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to have them check the TPMS system as well.

I'm just wondering, would changing the brake fluid cause this noise if not done right? I just had the brake fluid changed.
Old 12-08-15, 08:00 PM
20LS01
Driver

Originally Posted by skullkandy
What? The most common cause of brake pulsation is warped rotors
And i dont disagree with your statement...so i'm sure why you posted that.

He never said his brakes were pulsating....

Last edited by 20LS01; 12-08-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 05:21 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I got my car back from the dealer. The mechanic there said that I need new brake pads and rotors in the front. The pad is 3mm thick, so still usable, but he said the noise comes from the edge of the pad touching the outer edge of the rotor because the inside worn out the rotor with a raised edge (like a pie's outer edge higher than the inside).

I was quoted $650 to replace them ($350 for parts and $300 for labor). Seems high, I will drive for a few more thousand miles and decide what to do ...
Old 12-10-15, 08:14 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I got my car back from the dealer. The mechanic there said that I need new brake pads and rotors in the front. The pad is 3mm thick, so still usable, but he said the noise comes from the edge of the pad touching the outer edge of the rotor because the inside worn out the rotor with a raised edge (like a pie's outer edge higher than the inside).

I was quoted $650 to replace them ($350 for parts and $300 for labor). Seems high, I will drive for a few more thousand miles and decide what to do ...
I personally wouldnt drive for that long with only 3mm left. But then again i am pretty picky about maintenance.. but just remember that the brakes along with tires are one of the most important components on a car and shouldnt be overlooked. After all they are what makes your car stop, and new pads (and rotors if needed) will ensure you stop safely and shortly.

Now, what i recommend you do is you take the car to some other shop that does one lf those free brake checks. Have them evaluate the brakes and rotors and see what they say. Sometimes your local Stealership just likes to lie to you to make some extra cash.

From there i recommend you buy your own pads (their like $45 for ceramics) and have a buddy help you change them or some mechanic you trust a little more. As for the rotors , if you really need them, try and buy the parts yourself and then have a trustworthy mechanic do those for you as well. Unless of course you wanna DIY lol.

By doing this youll save tons of money, just look around. Dealerships are known for ripping you and everyone else off on repairs. Shoot, they wanted like $200+ to change my rear pads!! Instead I had my pads checked out by a friend, bought both front and rear pads (just for preventative maintenance) and had them changed out for $60. I spent a total of like $140 tops and had both done. Granted i do have a mechanic for a friend lol. Best of luck OP
Old 12-10-15, 10:29 AM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the brake change yourself! there are useful DIY threads on the forum. Our cars have one of the easiest brake jobs ive ever done! Spent about 140 in parts and took about an hour with no sense of urgency
Old 12-10-15, 08:14 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Thanks for the input guys.

I saw the DIY, and I would consider doing it myself if it's just the pads. But the dealer says it's the rotors rubbing against the pads -- it looks like the other edge of the rotor is a mm higher than the rest because the inside wear against the pad. He said they can't be resurfaced either.

I think 3mm is still kinda safe to drive. I'll worry at 2mm, but I will definitely change it before the next 5,000 mile oil change.