IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Air Intake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 05:46 PM
Babu95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Air Intake Swap

I just bought a Lexus Is250 AWD 2011 & couldnt be happier. I want to do a Air intake swap & was wondering what some of you more experinced guys recommend. I was debating mainly between the KnN typhonn which uses a cone filter & the F-sport cold intake which uses box? What do you guys think ? Pleas help me out guys !!
Old 12-19-15, 05:21 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Babu95
I just bought a Lexus Is250 AWD 2011 & couldnt be happier. I want to do a Air intake swap & was wondering what some of you more experinced guys recommend. I was debating mainly between the KnN typhonn which uses a cone filter & the F-sport cold intake which uses box? What do you guys think ? Pleas help me out guys !!
Fair warning you may get people on this board telling you to search. And this question has been asked a lot so I can definitely understand why some members may feel the need to tell you that instead of actually givng you an answer. Anywho..

For an intake id recommend going F sport honestly or just buying the Joe Z intake tube since its the only intake that actually improves power on our cars. The K&N just makes the car sound deeper but in reality actually hurts overall horsepower than actually gain anything. Any gains people claim are simply in their heads or false advertisment. And even with the Joe Z your only getting at most like 3-4 hp which is something you wont actually feel.

What I did in my case just buy the air box for the f sport intake which is essnetially a shaved stocm air box with an extra hole cut into it. It provides the same "deep growl" an aftermarket intake provides and was a lot cheaper lol but I do plan on buying Joe Z later on though.
Old 12-19-15, 06:15 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Fair warning you may get people on this board telling you to search. And this question has been asked a lot so I can definitely understand why some members may feel the need to tell you that instead of actually givng you an answer. Anywho..

For an intake id recommend going F sport honestly or just buying the Joe Z intake tube since its the only intake that actually improves power on our cars. The K&N just makes the car sound deeper but in reality actually hurts overall horsepower than actually gain anything. Any gains people claim are simply in their heads or false advertisment. And even with the Joe Z your only getting at most like 3-4 hp which is something you wont actually feel.

What I did in my case just buy the air box for the f sport intake which is essnetially a shaved stocm air box with an extra hole cut into it. It provides the same "deep growl" an aftermarket intake provides and was a lot cheaper lol but I do plan on buying Joe Z later on though.
^ What he said is correct.

With that in to consideration! Since the JoeZ or F sport does not give any noticeable gain, I decided to just go for sound. I have the K&N Intake paired with my Megan mids + Fsport exhaust. The growl it gives as you rev is just something that puts a smile on my face. If I was to compare that to 1~4 HP That i cant even feel, then it just does not make sense to me. Considering I probably lost 1~4 HP, i could care less since it makes my driving experience alot nicer.

So I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. Good luck with your search
Old 12-19-15, 09:54 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy350
^ What he said is correct.

With that in to consideration! Since the JoeZ or F sport does not give any noticeable gain, I decided to just go for sound. I have the K&N Intake paired with my Megan mids + Fsport exhaust. The growl it gives as you rev is just something that puts a smile on my face. If I was to compare that to 1~4 HP That i cant even feel, then it just does not make sense to me. Considering I probably lost 1~4 HP, i could care less since it makes my driving experience alot nicer.

So I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. Good luck with your search
Hmm that is true too lol. Since their is no gain thats actually felt than the choice is really all up to you.

Hey Icy350, do you know if the K&N is any louder sounding than the F sport one? I wouldnt mind making my car sound even deeper. Heck, Id imagine that with that megan mid and f sport setup your smiling every day lol