IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 08:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeSF
does Lexus make IS350 6MT? I was under impression they don't.
No, Lexus never made one.

Jeff
Old 01-13-16, 08:31 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Not everyone buy the fastest car and drive the fastest they can every time they get behind the wheel.

I got the 250 for my wife, who has a 2 hr commute. 250 is just the right car with some luxury (nice leather seat!) and still good fuel economy. Back in 2007 we got a 2008 custom ordered with the right ext / int color for 33k before tax title license, I'd not get anywhere close with a 350. She also gets 28mpg without trying and I got 31mpg during long trip when I try to hyper mile, 350 will not be anywhere close to this mpg.
Not get anywhere close?? Did you not see the post ups of members who have a 30mpg tank average on their is350? Shoot even I can get 30 if I hyper mile it too. I have a 350 and my brother has a 250 same year only AWD and I get equal mpg if I try. Worst case scenario I'm off by 1 mpg. But I don't drive my car economically, I actually ENJOY driving my car when I do. It's got luxury, class, and hauls *** (for a v6 anyway) . If you bought your car BRAND spanking new then yeah I understand why you didn't get a 350. Which is why I stated earlier that this question is aimed towards used car owners more than new car owners
Old 01-13-16, 08:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
I don't doubt the fuel economy or range, but the last sentence is just ridiculous. My apologies if it was intended as sarcasm.

Regarding the original question posed by the OP, I'm sure the reasons people buy different cars are as varied as those people themselves. No doubt about the fact that there are plenty of 250's out there.
Why is that ridiculous? Never been to Utah or Texas that has 85MPH speed limit?
Old 01-13-16, 08:34 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Not sure if you saw my previous post but here you go. My IS350 averaging over 30MPG on a tank. 425 miles on the tank with ~25 miles before the reserve tank light turns on. This was averaging 90-95MPH.
Okay I wanna side with you on this one but 90-95 MPH?? Not likely... At least not in MY Is350.. If I wanna hit 30mpg I gotta drive like 60-65 mph and not enjoy my exhaust lol. Then again, I've never tried and get good mpg while driving that fast. If I'm going that fast I'd be racing someone lol
Old 01-13-16, 09:02 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do you know what average means?

Why is that ridiculous? Never been to Utah or Texas that has 85MPH speed limit?
So it wasn't sarcasm. I didn't think so. It's ridiculous because you claimed the speed was an average. The implication was that you averaged 90 - 95 mph on a 425 mile tank and got 30 mpg. Ridiculous and impossible.
Old 01-13-16, 09:40 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

So it wasn't sarcasm. I didn't think so. It's ridiculous because you claimed the speed was an average. The implication was that you averaged 90 - 95 mph on a 425 mile tank and got 30 mpg. Ridiculous and impossible.
First of all. Did you ever drive in Arizona or Utah? Do you really think it is that hard to average 90-95MPH with the speed limit of 85MPH? You are talking about a state that has 3 million people. To put that in perspective. Utah is nearly twice as big as Illinois but has 4x less people than Illinois. So yes, it is possible to average 90-95MPH in a 85MPH speed limit.

Second, do you even own a IS350? Because I was able to get 30MPG+ numerous times on my road trips. I take my IS350 on a lot of road trips. On my drive from Las Vegas to Arizona I was averaging 32MPG. Are you going to call BS on that too?
Old 01-13-16, 11:03 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cute..What do you know about driving dynamics? Have you tracked your IS? Did you know a F-sport IS350 would give a 335 a run for it's money on the track? There was an old thread with track times that showed the IS350 not far behind than a 335.

A member over on BMW forums posted results that the 3IS IS350 had better track times than a F30 335.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1032320

Gas mileage.. Did you know that an AWD IS250 gets 1MPG better on the highway and 2MPG in the city compared to a IS350? If 1-2 extra miles per gallon is such a big deal to you then maybe a luxury sport sedan isn't the right car for you.
April Fools is still a few months away buddy. Nobody with their head screwed on straight would think the 2-IS is better to drive than an E90 BMW. I'm not saying the 2-IS is a floaty boring Lexus like the ES, but it's not in the same league as the E90. Believe what you want I'll stay grounded in reality.

Why are you so defensive anyway?
Old 01-14-16, 12:11 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
April Fools is still a few months away buddy. Nobody with their head screwed on straight would think the 2-IS is better to drive than an E90 BMW. I'm not saying the 2-IS is a floaty boring Lexus like the ES, but it's not in the same league as the E90. Believe what you want I'll stay grounded in reality.

I'm pretty sure he's implying that the IS is almost as track capable as an e90 bmw. Not necessarily saying that the Lexus FEELS better to drive but that when it comes down to it they are actually very similar with the right parts and driver. Actually isn't the new 3IS F sport ranked higher than Bmw 3 series now?
Old 01-14-16, 12:15 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
No, Lexus never made one.

Jeff
Yeah, only Jeff Lange makes those.
Old 01-14-16, 12:29 PM
Nick350is
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pattatted4
Living in Wisconsin, it was a no-brainer to get the 250 for the AWD. It has saved my job more than a couple times!!! I would love a 350 RWD, but in our climate it wasn't feasible, unless it was a summer car, which I'm in no means able to support right now.
I had the same thought, but then I drove a 250 and it was a dog. I knew I wanted a 350, and it took me a few months to find the right one one. I ended up getting a summer set of 19" with nice tires and put winter tires on my stock rims. Honestly the snow tires on my RWD perform better than any FWD with all season's i've ever owned. With the Lexus snow mode and not being able to fishtail when traction control is on RWD is not what it used to be (It's not a crown vic...ha). I Live in Minnesota and have never had an issue getting through snow and ice. IMHO all seasons should be called no seasons.
Old 01-14-16, 12:56 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

First of all. Did you ever drive in Arizona or Utah? Do you really think it is that hard to average 90-95MPH with the speed limit of 85MPH? You are talking about a state that has 3 million people. To put that in perspective. Utah is nearly twice as big as Illinois but has 4x less people than Illinois. So yes, it is possible to average 90-95MPH in a 85MPH speed limit.

Second, do you even own a IS350? Because I was able to get 30MPG+ numerous times on my road trips. I take my IS350 on a lot of road trips. On my drive from Las Vegas to Arizona I was averaging 32MPG. Are you going to call BS on that too?
he wasn't questioning the 90-95mph. he was questioning the 30mpg+ while driving at said speed. the drag on a car at 90mph is 2.2x the drag on same car at 60mph. hard to get such good gas mileage unless the IS is radically modified to get very low Cd.

Last edited by EyeSF; 01-14-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 01:16 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Originally Posted by Tro209
Okay I wanna side with you on this one but 90-95 MPH?? Not likely... At least not in MY Is350.. If I wanna hit 30mpg I gotta drive like 60-65 mph and not enjoy my exhaust lol. Then again, I've never tried and get good mpg while driving that fast. If I'm going that fast I'd be racing someone lol
There you go, your 60-65mph at 30mpg vs my 85mph and traffic jam 50% of my distance at 28mpg, and you claim that 350 is just as efficient as 250.

Apple and orange comparison here.
Old 01-14-16, 01:25 PM
PandaBear
Driver

I don't doubt the fuel economy or range, but the last sentence is just ridiculous. My apologies if it was intended as sarcasm.

Regarding the original question posed by the OP, I'm sure the reasons people buy different cars are as varied as those people themselves. No doubt about the fact that there are plenty of 250's out there.
I don't doubt it, I got 32mpg going from NorCal and SoCal on I5 behind a big semi most of the time, however I don't get that with my typical commute at lower speed with traffic.

A Prius boxed inside an enclosure pulled behind an SUV can get 110mpg too, but I would not expect my real life mpg to be this high. My friend with similar commute in 350 get only 24mpg.
Old 01-14-16, 01:30 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
For the same reason some people buy a six cylinder Mustang vs the full out V8 thrasher. The IS250 is a commuter and provides the necessary "image" and "status". You want to be seen driving a Lexus and it doesn't matter if a Bimmer, Infiniti G or a guy with pop can exhaust pipes blasts by you. You got a Lexus.
The IS leather seat for 33k beats the leatherette BMW seat at 44k. IS at this price is a good deal even if it is with a Hyundai badge.
Old 01-14-16, 03:06 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Gotta love all these IS350 haters who drives IS250..

Why are you driving a IS250 if you enjoy an E90 so much?

"Better to drive" is completely subjective. Have you ever tracked your car? Because I track and drag my car and the 2IS is more than capable of keeping up with E90. Many other people who drag their 2IS on this forum including IS250 can vouch for that.

Like I said before, even members from BMW forums gathered information that the new 3IS350 F-sport actually has better track time than the new F30 335. I guess even BMW members themselves are fabricating false numbers..

Originally Posted by EyeSF
he wasn't questioning the 90-95mph. he was questioning the 30mpg+ while driving at said speed. the drag on a car at 90mph is 2.2x the drag on same car at 60mph. hard to get such good gas mileage unless the IS is radically modified to get very low Cd.
Are you guys accusing me that I fabricated that photo now? Why would I be driving 60MPH with a 85MPH speed limit? And I why would I need to lie about my gas mileage?

There you go, your 60-65mph at 30mpg vs my 85mph and traffic jam 50% of my distance at 28mpg, and you claim that 350 is just as efficient as 250.

Apple and orange comparison here.
I don't doubt it, I got 32mpg going from NorCal and SoCal on I5 behind a big semi most of the time, however I don't get that with my typical commute at lower speed with traffic.

A Prius boxed inside an enclosure pulled behind an SUV can get 110mpg too, but I would not expect my real life mpg to be this high. My friend with similar commute in 350 get only 24mpg.
According to the EPA, IS250 and IS350 has only 1 MPG difference in the city and 3MPG on the highway. I wouldn't say that is an apple to orange comparison... The IS350 is just as efficient as an IS250 in my opinion with 100 horsepower more..
Attached Thumbnails Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?-untitled.png  

Quick Reply: Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?