IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 03:11 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Lolz smokey , u are still around eh ? Lolz long time i havent check in here
Old 01-14-16, 03:32 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

IS250 6MT is worse than IS350.

Jeff
Old 01-14-16, 05:42 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaBear
There you go, your 60-65mph at 30mpg vs my 85mph and traffic jam 50% of my distance at 28mpg, and you claim that 350 is just as efficient as 250.

Apple and orange comparison here.
Well I drive normally at 70-75 and can hit 28-29 mpg. If I slow it down I can do 30+ . Let's not forget this all depends on which roads we're driving as well... Regardless , the IS350 and IS250 are rated only 1 mpg apart and that's in PROFESSIONAL testing. Say what you want, but that's the truth .

And by the way , I've actually driven both back to back from Modesto to San Jose. There not very different mpg wise when I drive them. Except that one is slower and doesn't encourage having fun.
Old 01-14-16, 05:44 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Manual Transmission

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Are you going to call BS on that too?
I only call BS on BS. Your ignorance regarding the inaccuracy of your original statement is quite profound. Continue to delude yourself about getting 30 mpg over 425 miles at an average speed of 90-95 mph if you so desire, but I'm out.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
For me, it was the manual transmission.

Jeff
Agreed, the desire for a manual transmission would be sufficient enough reason for me to purchase a 250.

StillLine
Old 01-14-16, 07:15 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Lolz smokey , u are still around eh ? Lolz long time i havent check in here
Blitz?

Yep Not many OG 2IS members left around here....

Will most likely get a new car this year. Either the IS-F or F30 M3

Originally Posted by StillLine
I only call BS on BS. Your ignorance regarding the inaccuracy of your original statement is quite profound. Continue to delude yourself about getting 30 mpg over 425 miles at an average speed of 90-95 mph if you so desire, but I'm out.

Agreed, the desire for a manual transmission would be sufficient enough reason for me to purchase a 250.

StillLine
Do you even own an IS350?

So I'm getting 3 extra MPG than what my car is rated for by the EPA. That makes me a complete fraud? 3 extra MPG.......

Like Tro said. Factor in the road conditions, weather conditions, along with my mods (lightweight wheels, intake, axle-back and midpipe). If you driven in Utah, it consists of a lot of hills and mountains, which means I am able to cruise more driving downhill going 90-95MPH.
Old 01-15-16, 12:40 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah get the ISF 2012 to 2014 we'll set up meet norcal and socal will meet up maybe 100ISF''s
Old 01-15-16, 11:02 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 629 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
. Continue to delude yourself about getting 30 mpg over 425 miles at an average speed of 90-95 mph if you so desire, but I'm out.
LoL....this is so funny because it is true--there is no possible way to maintain 90MPH while getting 30MPG.
Old 01-15-16, 11:04 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So to conclude.. Slightly slightly better Mpg, optional AWD (that may or may not do much ) , and price. I think that's it.

Can we close this thread now?
Old 01-15-16, 11:27 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another 250 vs 350 ? I haven't been on for a while, and this is nice welcome back. lol

Tro said it all... Didn't need a fast car for commute to work. Horrible traffic jams all over bay area, ca. Might as well spend less for a nice luxury car to sit in while I wait an hour or 2 to get to work/home.

250 and 350 travel same speed at 1 MPH to 5 MPH on the road I take every weekday and 250 cheaper than 350. No brainer for me.
Old 01-15-16, 12:01 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
Well I drive normally at 70-75 and can hit 28-29 mpg. If I slow it down I can do 30+ . Let's not forget this all depends on which roads we're driving as well... Regardless , the IS350 and IS250 are rated only 1 mpg apart and that's in PROFESSIONAL testing. Say what you want, but that's the truth .

And by the way , I've actually driven both back to back from Modesto to San Jose. There not very different mpg wise when I drive them. Except that one is slower and doesn't encourage having fun.
That's quite a "professional" testing condition and quite "the truth". Unfortunately if Lexus is saying that highway has 3 mpg difference and my coworker with similar commute (Daly City to Milpitas, instead of Sunnyvale to South San Francisco) has about 4mpg lower than me, that's enough to convince me that it is what will happen to my commute. Having only 1mpg less on 350 on your route? Good for you, but don't expect this to be the same for EVERYONE else. Lexus is not confident enough to say it is only 1mpg less either.

I've actually driven my Integra from San Francisco to Livermore every day at 90mph and get above CAFE highway fuel economy (31mpg instead of 29) too, that doesn't prove anything for people commuting elsewhere.
Old 01-15-16, 12:02 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was almost a non-factor for me. I test drove both a 350 and a 250, and I've never once thought to myself the 250 is too slow. I actually quite like having to punch it to access its power, and never thought it was insufficient. It's plenty fast for daily use and the highways. Mind you, this might be different in cities like LA where it's all freeways, merging and passing does potentially require more power than the 250 offers, but in a city that's basically 30-40 miles per hour speed limit everywhere, you'll do fine with a Smart Fortwo, nevermind an IS250. To be fair to both sides, the MPG savings are pretty much a non factor too (Average person saves $350 a year approx), so that wasn't a reason either.

I see a lot of AMG and M cars that are basically purchased here purely for the sake of impressing their friends or one-upping their colleague who has the "lowly" non-AMG/non-M model. I say, forget that game and buy what works for you and what you will use.

Edit: To illustrate usage and practicality, I can't even recall ever once flooring my Mazda 3 GT or my old IS300 with bolt-ons since I bought them. OK, there was once; in the IS300 where I got walked by a friend's modded RSX-S more than a decade ago (bad shifting on my end)... and he immediately got pulled over after he beat me for something to the tune of $500 while I quietly got away. That ended my desire to ever speed in excess of 20 miles an hour above the limit.

So in summary, not everyone needs or wants a car with a lot of HP. If anything, I'd rather spend money on suspension and handling. A factory stock second generation IS350 isn't particularly great on a spirited drive, a "track package" IS250 with performance tires, coils and stabilizer bars could be, depending on the highway's characteristics and traffic.

That is just a long winded personal opinion though - I think the 350 is an excellent car with a far superior engine, and for those who do like to tap into that power often it's the no-brainer purchase. It is however slightly disrespectful to question why others find the 250 perfectly sufficient, when had they bought a 350, they would never even come close to using its limits. Really, my bigger regret by far is not being able to convince my wife to let me find a manual.

Last edited by svelt; 01-15-16 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 11:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 355F1
LoL....this is so funny because it is true--there is no possible way to maintain 90MPH while getting 30MPG.
Love how all the IS250 owners claim they purchase the IS250 over the IS350 because of gas mileage but after I show them I got 30MPG cruising 90-90MPH in a 85MPH speed limit, everyone gets butt hurt over it..

Relax guys. I'm getting 3 extra MPG than what the EPA rated the IS350. Just 3 MPG...

I guess you guys finally realize that the IS250 isn't that much more gas efficient than the IS350

By the way, if you go to the IS350 gas mileage thread, there are numerous members who claims they were able to get 30+MPG...

Mong:
I average 24mpg 50%highway/50%local and I can get 30-33mpg with all highway if I take it easy(65-75mph)
Kurtz:
It's not super common to get >30 highway in a 350... but 28-30 is very common. (and my window sticker said 20/28 when I bought my car in 2008 FWIW using the "old" mpg system...and that has seemed pretty accurate in my experience.... (it's more like 20-22/28-30 depending on conditions and driving and whatnot).

I've never gotten as low as 26 mpg for any all-highway tank of gas when I've taken roadtrips... 27.5 or so is about the worst I've gotten on such a trip and that was when the car only had a few hundred miles on it.
Don:
I went from Tahoe to Oakland, about 200 miles in my 350. On cruise control around 75, i got 34 mpg. That's the computer readout, not my actual calculations though. It was a lot of downhill and flats.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
That's quite a "professional" testing condition and quite "the truth". Unfortunately if Lexus is saying that highway has 3 mpg difference and my coworker with similar commute (Daly City to Milpitas, instead of Sunnyvale to South San Francisco) has about 4mpg lower than me, that's enough to convince me that it is what will happen to my commute. Having only 1mpg less on 350 on your route? Good for you, but don't expect this to be the same for EVERYONE else. Lexus is not confident enough to say it is only 1mpg less either.

I've actually driven my Integra from San Francisco to Livermore every day at 90mph and get above CAFE highway fuel economy (31mpg instead of 29) too, that doesn't prove anything for people commuting elsewhere.
What are you talking about? Did you not see what the EPA rated the gas mileage for the IS250 and IS350 I posted? IS250 gets 21 city and 30 highway while IS350 gets 20 city and 27 highway. This is tested by the EPA and on the sticker of every new car. So how is Lexus not confident when this information is posted on all new IS250 and IS350?

This is the fairest way to compare the MPG between each car because the EPA test every car under the same conditions.

Old 01-16-16, 12:45 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Damn. The max I got was around 420 going about 70-90 driving from San Francisco to Canada.

I got the 250 because my old car was giving out and they only had the blue color on the 250 that night at the dealer. Didn't know much about Lexus back then.
Old 01-16-16, 02:05 AM
fielit562
Driver School Candidate

I agree with svelt! For me it was price, miles, color and year of the car. I was going for a 2011-2013 is350 last year in may. I wanted the f sport model. The 350 was a more than I wanted to spend, could not find one for the right price, year and model, there was not many f sport models out there for the price. So I found a nice blue 2012 is250 f-sport with low miles and reasonably price. I probably could've gotten an older 350 non f-sport for the same price but I went with the newer is250 f-sport.
Old 01-16-16, 09:52 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Love how all the IS250 owners claim they purchase the IS250 over the IS350 because of gas mileage but after I show them I got 30MPG cruising 90-90MPH in a 85MPH speed limit, everyone gets butt hurt over it..

Relax guys. I'm getting 3 extra MPG than what the EPA rated the IS350. Just 3 MPG...

I guess you guys finally realize that the IS250 isn't that much more gas efficient than the IS350

You are just delusional or BSing. No one is disputing your claim about getting 30MPG on highway. Its getting 30MPG plus doing 90-95MPH that is setting off the BS radars.

Its not a matter of you getting 3 extra MPG over EPA, its you getting 3 MPG doing 90-95 MPH. You are an idiot for thinking that the 3 MPG over EPA is the argument that is being made here.........

There is NO WAY you are getting 30 plus MPG going 90-95 AVERAGE.

By the way, if you go to the IS350 gas mileage thread, there are numerous members who claims they were able to get 30+MPG...

I like how you convenient skipped over everyone saying "if I take it easy(65-75mph)" or "On cruise control around 75, i got 34 mpg. That's the computer readout, not my actual calculations though. It was a lot of downhill and flats."

Notice how no one is going 90-95MPH on average.......

What are you talking about? Did you not see what the EPA rated the gas mileage for the IS250 and IS350 I posted? IS250 gets 21 city and 30 highway while IS350 gets 20 city and 27 highway. This is tested by the EPA and on the sticker of every new car. So how is Lexus not confident when this information is posted on all new IS250 and IS350?

This is the fairest way to compare the MPG between each car because the EPA test every car under the same conditions.

Notice how the picture you posted is a controlled indoor setting which does not take into account all the variables of driving outdoors......

Check out this link from the US dept of Energy.....which dictates all the other variables that affect fuel economy which is not taken into consideration by the EPA numbers......AERODYNAMIC DRAG being one of them which makes the numbers you post preposterous.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

I am all for patting ourselves on the back for getting an IS350 but I am not going to stand for utter BS.

And hypothetically speaking if you are getting that mileage doing the speed that you claim..........please contact Lexus so that they can test your one of a kind wonder engine so that they can implement those improvements across all newer lexus lines, I am sure they will be very interested............

BTW I have an IS350 F-sport.............

Quick Reply: Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?