IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 10:18 AM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the fairest way to compare the MPG between each car because the EPA test every car under the same conditions.

I dont know if you know this but in 2007 -2008 the EPA did away with the treadmill testing...

"EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests.

For 2007 and earlier model year vehicles, only the city and highway schedules were used. Beginning with 2008 models, three additional tests are used to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures."

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

While the outcome is more "realistic", it drove all fuel economy numbers down. Some people got way better than the EPA's estimate, some hit it spot on. I highly doubt that at 90-95MPH anyone can achieve those numbers. We all love our Lex's, but come on man...
Old 01-16-16, 01:02 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M1AH3A7
You are just delusional or BSing. No one is disputing your claim about getting 30MPG on highway. Its getting 30MPG plus doing 90-95MPH that is setting off the BS radars.

Its not a matter of you getting 3 extra MPG over EPA, its you getting 3 MPG doing 90-95 MPH. You are an idiot for thinking that the 3 MPG over EPA is the argument that is being made here.........

There is NO WAY you are getting 30 plus MPG going 90-95 AVERAGE.
Did I photoshop the 30MPG then? I just so happen to drive 65MPH with a posted speed limit of 85MPH?

Call BS all you want. There are many factors to consider when it comes to gas mileage. Road conditions, maintenance of car, modifications on the car, gasoline (winter fuel blend vs summer fuel, or different percentage of ethanol), AC on or off, accuracy of the gas mileage calculation, etc.

Since you guys want to get all technical.

1) Road conditions. Posted speed limit 85MPH. There were plenty of downhills and flat roads, which means I was able to cruise downhill at 90-95MPH...

2) Maintenance of car: Spark plugs and synthetic oil change was done prior to my road trip. According he National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence indicates that bad spark plugs can decrease fuel economy by up to 30%, and can cost drivers up to about 94 cents per gallon at today's prices.

Oil viscosity can increase gas mileage. Lexus sent out an TSB for IS350 owners to switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 because of the improved gas mileage and cold performance. Ford also made the same move. According to the Ford Motor Company's Article, "the reason given for the change from 5W-30 is for better fuel economy."

3) Modifications on car: Like I said before. I am not stock. I have a lightweight wheels, intake, axle-back, and midpipe. Did I mention that I am slammed on coilovers and 5 inch from the ground? Aerodynamics and underbody drag anyone? Underbody drag is one of the biggest components of the total aero drag. Lowering a car helps high-speed mpg the same way that lifting a pickup truck hurts it.

An Acura forum member noticed a difference in gas mileage after lowering his car:

Lowering your car can make a pretty good difference. Our former 2004 Acura TL had the optional underbody spoiler and was lowered about 1.5" from stock, making the air under the car, quite a bit less than a stock TL. From 75-80 mph it got incredible mileage (32-34 on flat land) considering the 26 mpg highway rating.
Exhaust upgrades - Depending on what’s on your vehicle currently, you can sometimes achieve sizeable fuel economy increases by switching out the exhaust. Low-restriction mufflers, cat-back exhaust systems with mandrel bent pipes can all be effective. Your gains might range from 1% to 10%
Intake upgrades - Fuel economy is a hot topic for today’s car and truck owners; many are looking for ways to squeeze a few more miles per tankful out of their vehicles. A performance air intake system is one way to accomplish this goal.
4) Gasoline. My road trip happened to be in the spring, which means I was using summer blend. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas and the switch from winter blend to summer blend is made in the springtime.

Ethanol in gas usually lowers MPG by about 2-7%. Some studies reports E10 gas can decrease MPG as much as 20%. Ethanol gas blends always have lower energy and often drive fewer miles.

How did you guys know that I just didn’t happen to add ethanol free gas?

I like how you convenient skipped over everyone saying "if I take it easy(65-75mph)" or "On cruise control around 75, i got 34 mpg. That's the computer readout, not my actual calculations though. It was a lot of downhill and flats."

Notice how no one is going 90-95MPH on average.......
If you read the whole thread gas mileage thread, there were no one that even mention driving at 90-95MPH. Is that called "conveniently skipped" or a lack of data to compare with? I am using the data that is available to me.

The guy is driving 75MPH in his IS350 and average 34MPG. Let's put that in perspective. That is 7MPG more than the EPA rating. Let's lynch him for lying also.

Notice how the picture you posted is a controlled indoor setting which does not take into account all the variables of driving outdoors......

Check out this link from the US dept of Energy.....which dictates all the other variables that affect fuel economy which is not taken into consideration by the EPA numbers......AERODYNAMIC DRAG being one of them which makes the numbers you post preposterous.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml
Like what Patt said below. Apparently the EPA is not using such settings anymore since 2007.

I am all for patting ourselves on the back for getting an IS350 but I am not going to stand for utter BS.

And hypothetically speaking if you are getting that mileage doing the speed that you claim..........please contact Lexus so that they can test your one of a kind wonder engine so that they can implement those improvements across all newer lexus lines, I am sure they will be very interested............

BTW I have an IS350 F-sport.............
I would love Lexus to use my car for testing, which I highly doubt they will do. Because I am not stock and own a highly modified IS350.

I can't believe we are still arguing about 3MPG difference on a non-stock IS350
driving ~90MPH going downhill and on a lot of flat road... Seriously, why you gotta be getting your panties in a bunch?
Old 01-16-16, 02:33 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Did I photoshop the 30MPG then? I just so happen to drive 65MPH with a posted speed limit of 85MPH?

I didn't sit there and inspect your picture but 30MPG at 65MPH is a far cry from 30MPG at 95MPH.....

Call BS all you want. There are many factors to consider when it comes to gas mileage. Road conditions, maintenance of car, modifications on the car, gasoline (winter fuel blend vs summer fuel, or different percentage of ethanol), AC on or off, accuracy of the gas mileage calculation, etc.

Agreed

1) Road conditions. Posted speed limit 85MPH. There were plenty of downhills and flat roads, which means I was able to cruise downhill at 90-95MPH...

Perhaps but still doubtful.....

2) Maintenance of car: Spark plugs and synthetic oil change was done prior to my road trip. According he National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence indicates that bad spark plugs can decrease fuel economy by up to 30%, and can cost drivers up to about 94 cents per gallon at today's prices.

Oil viscosity can increase gas mileage. Lexus sent out an TSB for IS350 owners to switch from 5w-30 to 5w-20 because of the improved gas mileage and cold performance. Ford also made the same move. According to the Ford Motor Company's Article, "the reason given for the change from 5W-30 is for better fuel economy."

This is negligible......cars tested by EPA or manufacturer would be upto spec.

3) Modifications on car: Like I said before. I am not stock. I have a lightweight wheels, intake, axle-back, and midpipe. Did I mention that I am slammed on coilovers and 5 inch from the ground? Aerodynamics and underbody drag anyone? Underbody drag is one of the biggest components of the total aero drag. Lowering a car helps high-speed mpg the same way that lifting a pickup truck hurts it.

An Acura forum member noticed a difference in gas mileage after lowering his car:
Though sounds good in theory the difference from those mods and UNDERBODY drag reduction would be minimal. Since when have forums become a referenced source... in that case:

http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...leage-2044571/

......um.....no.......what the hell would possible make you think that lowering your car will imporve gas mileage.....there is no corelation whatsoever

You're still pushing the same drag area through the air, with the exception of the fractions of an inch of tires that are no longer facing front. However, the disturbance caused by other minimal things like an extended antenna, having a right-side mirror, and other random stuff likely has a more profound effect. So the difference is probably not even minimal, it's probably negligible.

Agreed. Yes, a minimal, yet barely mentionable amount of drag is reduced when you lower your car.

Yeah, it'll be a bit more aerodynamic because it's lower - but if you claim that you're noticing "better gas mileage" because of it you're full of **** and somebody needs to **** whip you.

If you read the whole thread gas mileage thread, there were no one that even mention driving at 90-95MPH. Is that called "conveniently skipped" or a lack of data to compare with? I am using the data that is available to me.

No but they did mention achieving miles going slower than what you claimed........

The guy is driving 75MPH in his IS350 and average 34MPG. Let's put that in perspective. That is 7MPG more than the EPA rating. Let's lynch him for lying also. .

It might be possible. I would believe that before I believe you doing 95MPH and getting 30 MPG just because you are lowered.....

Like what Patt said below. Apparently the EPA is not using such settings anymore since 2007.
he also said " I highly doubt that at 90-95MPH anyone can achieve those numbers. We all love our Lex's, but come on man... "

I would love Lexus to use my car for testing, which I highly doubt they will do. Because I am not stock and own a highly modified IS350.

Fair Enough....

I can't believe we are still arguing about 3MPG difference on a non-stock IS350
driving ~90MPH going downhill and on a lot of flat road...

I like how your initial claims keep getting longer..... it started with my IS 350 got 30MPG going 90-95 MPH. Now there are all sorts of caveats to it......

Yes my lambo can get 20 MPG when the road is at a -11 degree elevation and no more, the sky is grayish white, the birds chirp with a C flat tone, the gas has only been imported from Kuwait oh and its got a cold air intake.......

Seriously, why you gotta be getting your panties in a bunch?

Classic line of someone caught telling tall tales......

This can be very easily settled with two screenshots of your car averaging 95 MPH and hitting 30 MPG (before and after)..............perhaps your engine is one of a kind with the perfect set of mods, road conditions, spark plugs and gas from your local gas station that enable it to hit that mark and it would be a good educational piece for myself and the rest of the forum members here to the possible fuel efficiencies you can achieve by said mods. Hell if that's the case I will make sure to get the same exact mods you have to try and even get close to that number if I can.

I am sure we will get the obligatory "I don't have to prove anything" when you were all to ready to provide a screenshot when no one asked before...........

Its all good man I am not angry or trying to rile you up or anything......you have a great car and I have the same so enjoy yourself, just know I am not going to bother responding till I get some screenshots as proof . edit: on second thought perhaps a short video since that's less prone to photos hop shenanigans. Anything less will be just a waste of my time as without concrete evidence we are just going around in circles.

And since its your story and my IS 350 isnt magical the burden of proof falls on you....

Last edited by M1AH3A7; 01-16-16 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 01:26 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just drove from work to home, about a 15 minute drive with mostly highway and a little city driving. I reset my average at the start and got 27 mpg. Take that for what it's worth.. Oh and I drove 65-70 on the freeway portion. Is it amazing? Nope. Is it waaaay worse than the 250? Nope. But is it decent for a 306hp 3.5 V6 with very aggressive gearing? Hell yeah it is lol. Why are we even discussing this anymore? Everyone has their reasons for buying a 250 over a 350 and I finally now understand the reasoning for it. Some people can't justify the price increase for the extra performance or just don't want all that extra power and that's fine.

Those are the kind of people who never speed or really could care less about being "fast". And that's okay because in the end we all drive essentially the same car, and we all have a car that with a little exterior work will turn heads Can we all just get along now and drop the whole my is350 is a gas saver thing? Cuz it's not . And neither is the is250.

If you guys wanted a gas saver , my older brother has a 2014 Altima 2.5 that gets over 40mpg without even trying and he beat my other brother with an is250 AWD by a fender from a dig That was a very interesting day for the three of us lol.
Old 01-18-16, 04:50 AM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about? Did you not see what the EPA rated the gas mileage for the IS250 and IS350 I posted? IS250 gets 21 city and 30 highway while IS350 gets 20 city and 27 highway. This is tested by the EPA and on the sticker of every new car. So how is Lexus not confident when this information is posted on all new IS250 and IS350?
I see it, and that's the point: 30 vs 27 apple to apple comparison.

Some people get more, some people get fewer, and if your 350 only get 1mpg less than 250's highway, as I've said "good for you".

I've seen people with 350 along my commute getting 4mpg less than 250, and I stand by my statement that buying a 250 for my wife's commute is a better choice than 350. Coming from a Corolla, she doesn't care about the extra torque anyways.
Old 01-18-16, 04:56 AM
PandaBear
Driver

Originally Posted by Tro209
I just drove from work to home, about a 15 minute drive with mostly highway and a little city driving. I reset my average at the start and got 27 mpg. Take that for what it's worth.. Oh and I drove 65-70 on the freeway portion. Is it amazing? Nope. Is it waaaay worse than the 250? Nope. But is it decent for a 306hp 3.5 V6 with very aggressive gearing? Hell yeah it is lol. Why are we even discussing this anymore? Everyone has their reasons for buying a 250 over a 350 and I finally now understand the reasoning for it. Some people can't justify the price increase for the extra performance or just don't want all that extra power and that's fine.

Those are the kind of people who never speed or really could care less about being "fast". And that's okay because in the end we all drive essentially the same car, and we all have a car that with a little exterior work will turn heads Can we all just get along now and drop the whole my is350 is a gas saver thing? Cuz it's not . And neither is the is250.

I assume your "fast" means "more torque".

And even if IS is a Toyota, I'd buy it just for the leather seats.

If you guys wanted a gas saver , my older brother has a 2014 Altima 2.5 that gets over 40mpg without even trying and he beat my other brother with an is250 AWD by a fender from a dig That was a very interesting day for the three of us lol.
If he keeps doing that the CVT will be worn out very soon, I'd stay away from CVT bigger than a 1.8L.
Old 01-18-16, 03:38 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why does some people buy IS250 for modification instead if IS350 or IS-F ??

I'm just wondering and have test drive all three car.
IS250 = 204 HP
IS350 = 306 HP
IS-F = 416 HP.

Old 01-18-16, 03:44 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

I would assume due to price. But that's my opinion and opinions are like you know what.
Old 01-18-16, 03:56 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Is this thread for real There's already a thread about why do some people buy is250 instead of is350. And it all came down to price , a sight advantage of mpg (and I mean slight) , and only caring about image and not performance. So there ya go... Now if you mean why would some one with the intention of missing buy a is250 over an is350? Well clearly they are misinformed and have no idea that neither the is250 , is350 nor IS-F have much potential to go beyond their stock power levels, and are also the kind of people who probably believe that you can buy a $80 chip that gives you gains up to 30hp to the wheel lol. Lexus are NOT made for modding , but most buyers don't research enough to find that out before it's too late.
Old 01-18-16, 03:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I see it, and that's the point: 30 vs 27 apple to apple comparison.

Some people get more, some people get fewer, and if your 350 only get 1mpg less than 250's highway, as I've said "good for you".

I've seen people with 350 along my commute getting 4mpg less than 250, and I stand by my statement that buying a 250 for my wife's commute is a better choice than 350. Coming from a Corolla, she doesn't care about the extra torque anyways.
I completely agree with this statement. And if I'm being completely honest, if both the 250 and 350 are driven at lets say, 80mph, then the 250 will obviously get better mpg by at least 2-3 on the highway due to its smaller engine and longer gear set up. However I think this argument mainly stems from is350 owners such as myself claiming that we get 30mpg but failing to mention that we have to drive a fair bit slower in order to do so.
Old 01-18-16, 04:09 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PandaBear

I assume your "fast" means "more torque".

And even if IS is a Toyota, I'd buy it just for the leather seats.

If he keeps doing that the CVT will be worn out very soon, I'd stay away from CVT bigger than a 1.8L.
LOL! I wrote "fast" in quotations because to some people the IS350 is super fast where as to me personally, it's only quick. I've been in cars with 400hp and cars with 600hp and believe me... The 350 is pretty damn tame next to those bad boys Not bashing my car either though because my car is plenty quick for me for a daily driver and I think for owners of 250's the same philosophy probably works for them too. Where 200 hp is enough to make them feel content so to speak..

Oh and about the Altima , I've heard things about the CVT having issues too and tell my brother not to go WOT very often since it probably will break. He doesn't normally step on it though since it is after all just a gas saver and a family car so no worries there. I just wanted to tell everyone about how he did , believe it or not, beat the 250 by a fender from a dig... The look on my brothers face was priceless when he saw first hand that the little "AWD" badge on his Lexus doesn't mean it's faster from a dig. At least not when it's ORIGINALLY a lighter weight Rwd car that essentially put on 200lbs of weight for extra traction which it doesn't even need due to its small output engine.
Old 01-18-16, 04:31 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like show and go. It's not fun let say you get beat by a van or truck in the street. Don't understand why some people buy IS250 and spend lot of $$$$ for modification.
Old 01-18-16, 04:44 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many threads are you going to make to thrash the is250?
Old 01-18-16, 04:44 PM
Kinman
Driver School Candidate

It's for all the reasons @Tro209 mentioned, and also the IS250 is the only model that had the Standard transmission. There is a member on this forum that bought an IS250 and put in a IS350 engine.
Old 01-18-16, 04:47 PM
Kinman
Driver School Candidate

@TsuanamiF You are on point! Didn't notice the other IS250 vs IS350 was started by @MWIS350.

Quick Reply: Why do some people buy the IS250 for modification instead of IS350 or IS-F?