IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

That went just as expected...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 08:06 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default That went just as expected...

Hey everyone just thought I'd share my experience with you guys. So I just recently went with my brother to go pick up his 09 G8 GT that he bought this past Saturday. We had already gone the week before to LA to check it out but it has just arrived and needed to be cleaned up and had a belt or two changed before he would agree to buy. So this weekend we went and checked it out and he is now the owner of a Silver 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Anyway.. The car already has a Borla Axelback, Doug Thorley Shorty headers, and to my knowledge from Ive read over on a g8 forum about the cars behavior, it apparently has a tune already.

Now I've read about how someone on here (I think lil4cyl or something like that) had an encounter with a G8 GT and had beat it. Needless to say that had to have been stock lol. So since my brother has always owned slow cars , coming from an LS400 and an Altima 2.5 , he wanted to race my IS350

So we did, and we did SEVERAL runs, and it's very apparent that that thing hauls *** lol. From a standstill he wins, from a 40 ish roll I get ahead for a little bit and at about 70-80 he takes flight and pulls very hard especially above 100mph due to the cars long 2.92 gear ratio. It is a very potent engine and the car gets many compliments and questions since most don't know what a G8 GT is . For those of you who don't know it's a rebadged Holden Commodore from Australia with a detuned version of an LS2 6.0 from GM.

He's really happy that he's finally faster than me and faster than quite a few other things, for comparison sake he ran with some sportbike on the freeway and was dead even with him until higher speeds where started inching ahead of him.

Anyway the moral of the story here is, don't race a G8 unless it's a v6 or stock lol. Just thought I'd share because I really enjoyed running him and driving the car too.

Last edited by Tro209; 01-25-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 08:13 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I'm also fairly confident that we should be able to run with an ISF from what happened to me. Not beat an ISF but at least be close to it and not get obliterated like I did lol.

He wants to go to the drag strip to see what he can run and I'm gonna tag along to see what time I can hit in my Little 6 cylinder

I'm very excited right now haha. Can't wait to hit up the drag strip!

Edit: I forgot to mention, according to the G8 forum he should be close to 400hp at the crank and most likely over 400 lb ft of torque at the crank with his mods.

Last edited by Tro209; 01-25-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 01:40 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Basically its Pontiac's last "great" car they built...all thanks to that motor. My wife had a dark purple 5.7L GTO all of 6 months before she totaled it. What a shame.
Old 01-25-16, 01:44 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Basically its Pontiac's last "great" car they built...all thanks to that motor. My wife had a dark purple 5.7L GTO all of 6 months before she totaled it. What a shame.
It actually isn't a Pontiac at all. That's what I really find interesting about the car. It's really a Holden Commodore badged as a Pontiac "G8 GT". So the car drives nothing like an American car nor looks like one either other than the Pontiac grill they gave it. The interior is above and beyond any American car of the time too. Even the switches for Windows and doors are in the center like a BMW. I remember when these first came out and people were comparing it favorably to the BMW 5 series because it was such a value at its time. Hell the car even has a limited slip differential standard which is cool considering the ISF didn't even have one for the first few years. And at $60k no less..

Damn I want a v8 now... Lol. But I'll be getting an F for sure.
Old 01-25-16, 01:51 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
My wife had a dark purple 5.7L GTO all of 6 months before she totaled it. What a shame.
Damn that really sucks to hear. This car especially with its tune and mods can easily be destroyed if driven all out. Loves to get sideways too.

I do agree that the engine really makes the car though since with a "small" cam you can get over 400whp easy and that's not even including heads or anything like that. Very good engine design in my opinion and sounds very mean. Honestly though, this car is only as good as it is because it's not actually American. Which is sad but true , at least for what American cars were at the time.