IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lady ran over a tree.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 02:06 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lady ran over a tree.

Going to work down the highway, a lady decided to run over a giant branch. That branch went flying towards my car and broke my headlight and scratched my car.

Looking at eBay at the moment, anyone know how to get rid of the paint mark?

Old 02-01-16, 04:20 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ouch, sorry to hear. hopefully your insurance will cover the repairs or replace your headlight.
you can try to polish or buff your bumper but I'm not sure if it will take out the paint mark. don't really know how bad the damage is
Old 02-01-16, 05:27 PM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks...I agree with dyongg, rubbing compound and a good wax for the "scratch", but its tough to tell in the photo...
Old 02-01-16, 09:15 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Thanks will do! I will call insurance tomorrow hoping they will fix my headlight and marks!
Old 02-02-16, 06:01 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's unfortunate... The damage could have been a lot worst though. Too bad she isn't responsible.

Let us know of the costs.
Old 02-02-16, 10:40 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Called insurance, got a claim, and have to go get a estimate tomorrow since I'm working today.

Let say the damage is around $500 and my deductible is $500 there's no point in making a claim, right? What are my next best options?
Old 02-02-16, 10:53 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

You probably should of gotten an estimate before making a claim on your insurance. If the damage is the same as your deductible, don't bother claiming it. Even if you end up paying out of pocket, that claim may still be there and your insurance may jack up your rates. Depends on how your insurer works though.

IMO, the bumper scuff doesn't really look that bad, although, I can't really tell if it's down to the plastic or not.... You can try using some rubbing compound, then swirl remover (Scratch-X?), then a little coat of wax and seeing how it comes out. As for the headlight, if you have the HID option, a used one on eBay shouldn't be more than $350.

Last edited by Zmon; 02-02-16 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 11:31 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

No... Not worth it if you deductible is that high? Your premium would only end up increasing for nothing...

Plus, insurance will probably tell you they'll repaint the bumper (instead of cheap-fixing it) and put a brand new headlight. You might also end up with one headlight that will be clearer than the other one since yours seem to be yellowed a little...

I'd buy a used headlight if I was you (easy to find - depending on where you live). For the scratch on the bumper, it will probably disappear with a good buff and an abrasive compound?

Last edited by Eduskator; 02-02-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 11:51 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

typically scratches by trees and dirt can be buffed out as long as the scratch didn't cut through the base coat.

hit up a detailer.
Old 02-02-16, 02:08 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

I'm getting a estimate tomorrow, if it's close I'll cancel the claim and buy some off brand or a used headlight on eBay. I believe the middle part of the scratch went through the base coating.

Edit:

Looking at my policy $500 deductible is for collision. $250 is how much I have to pay for comprehensive. Does everyone answers still stand? Haha...

Last edited by IamLexus; 02-02-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 03:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Eduskator
You might also end up with one headlight that will be clearer than the other one since yours seem to be yellowed a little...
The haziness on the headlights is pretty easy to remove. I got mine back to clear with Novus 2 plastic polish. They also sell kits in the auto parts store.
Old 02-03-16, 07:33 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
The haziness on the headlights is pretty easy to remove. I got mine back to clear with Novus 2 plastic polish. They also sell kits in the auto parts store.
Yes you are right! I've tried those polish products a few times and it worked for a couple of weeks, then the haze came back. I think the only thing that really works is the kit with the sand paper. Not an easy job, but def. worth it.
Old 02-03-16, 08:38 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Thanks for all the information guys! I'm not good at sanding and hesitant that it might not work. I decided to just pay that $250.00 to get a new headlight anda paint job and get it over with.
Old 02-03-16, 01:33 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

So they sent me to Gerber Collision and they will repair it but not till two weeks because they don't have loaner car for me at the moment. Does the dealership give loaner cars? If so, I'll ask them to have my car fix at the dealership
Old 02-03-16, 08:21 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

eBay for the headlight and compound and buffing should take out most of that mark.

Quick Reply: Lady ran over a tree.