IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 06:05 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^Have we confirmed you don't have any seized calipers that might be causing a single pad to be dragging on the rotor?
Old 03-17-16, 06:09 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Have we confirmed you don't have any seized calipers that might be causing a single pad to be dragging on the rotor?
You know my brother was telling me that the other day too. Do you know any proper way to check if thats the case?
Old 03-18-16, 02:26 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
But was your squealing constant or sometimes under specific circumstance? Mine only does it sometimes (no telling when it will do it). And only at slow speed (5-10 mph) with my foot OFF the brake. It sounds like a rotating squeal like it squeals in tune with the motion of the front wheel rolling at slow speed.

Also it only happens sometimes. There times where the car is as quiet as Lexus intended it to be. (Minus my exhaust lol)
The squealing was pretty much constant, but how loud it was varied. The loudness would change after making a stop. I would have the noise while I was rolling along; using the brakes either stopped or greatly diminished the squealing. Sometimes making a turn affected how loud the squeal was. But I had the noise at all speeds, although I don't think I went over 40 mph while I was trying to figure it out.

What tipped me off was I noticed a line about a quarter inch wide appearing on the rotor.
Old 03-18-16, 08:34 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Well I looked up the symptoms of a frozen/seized caliper and it doesnt seem to be that. Unless you meant something else?
Old 03-18-16, 08:37 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The squealing was pretty much constant, but how loud it was varied. The loudness would change after making a stop. I would have the noise while I was rolling along; using the brakes either stopped or greatly diminished the squealing. Sometimes making a turn affected how loud the squeal was. But I had the noise at all speeds, although I don't think I went over 40 mph while I was trying to figure it out.

What tipped me off was I noticed a line about a quarter inch wide appearing on the rotor.
Hmm maybe .. but keep in mind that for the first 2 months after having these new pads on I didnt hear a single thing. My car was factory quiet. Now all of a sudden I have this squeal and even after changing the pads for new ones (same brand) it still makes that sound.

So if these pads didnt originally make noise to begin with, and replacing them didnt solve my problem, I doubt the pads or shims (or whatever theyre called) are the culprit
Old 03-18-16, 10:03 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you haven't looked at or checked theses guides/shims. It is relatively easy to look and check those guides/shims to see if they are touching the rotor. The area where it straddles the rotor should have a good 2-3 mm clearance.

If you are using Lexus parts, then I doubt that these pieces are the problem. But if they came with aftermarket brake pads, the possibility exists. FWIW, I used Wagner brand.
Old 03-19-16, 12:04 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Another Update

So today I finally got a video to show you guys again what im dealing with. I also took the opportunity to see how else I can make the sound happen. So get this..

I drive under 20 mph I can hear it but the sound starts to disappear as the speed increases. If I even lightly press the brake the sound goes away till I let go of it. Now heres something new I discovered. When I turn the wheel left or right I can hear the sound just a tad bit more

Im wondering what this might mean? In the video I will post shortly, you will hear the sound I am talking about. The video has my camera looking at the driver wheel as I drive so that you can get a better feel for the sound. And yes it is coming more loudly from the driver side but not so much the passenger side.

In the video the sound disappears everytime I hit the brake even slightly. And as the wheel turns, you can hear the sound a bit more. I hope this helps solve this problem once and for all. Thanks guys

Not sure why the video quality looks choppy. On my phone its crystal clear and smooth. Sorry about that guys but you get the point anyway.
Old 03-19-16, 04:00 PM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The video plays fine for me. Not choppy at all.

If the squeaking goes away when you apply the brakes, it has to be coming from something placed under tension when the brakes are applied. Have you checked out the ball joints?
Old 10-03-16, 07:19 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any update to this? Did u find the problem?
Old 10-03-16, 07:23 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Any update to this? Did u find the problem?
Yes, the problem lied in the rotors. After changing them out the noise went away and for safe measure I bought another pair of brake pads again and replaced them as well. The main problem was the rotors though. I had another mechanic look at it and he said they were worn. And sure enough replacing them was all I needed to do. Super glad it was an easy fix...

HOWEVER, as of recent weeks the brakes are starting to make that squeal again.. My mechanic buddy told me it's because the rotors I bought were a cheaper brand so that may explain why. Next time I change them I will he going OEM. No more auto zone/ O Reilly rotors for me.
Old 10-03-16, 07:47 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Thanks. I'm curious why it's the rotors... Was the rotor u even and rubbing in the brake pads as the wheel spins?
Old 10-03-16, 08:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Thanks. I'm curious why it's the rotors... Was the rotor u even and rubbing in the brake pads as the wheel spins?
Not sure to be honest. He just something along the lines of that you could tell the rotor needed replacement because of how it looked I guess. Wish I could be more helpful but I honestly don't really know why it caused the noise. All I know is that once I changed the rotors the problem went away.

I also remember reading up on this issue on an Acura Integra forum somewhere which is why I bothered to replace the rotors since some one on that forum had a similar problem... Do yours have this issue?
Old 10-04-16, 05:07 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tro209
Not sure to be honest. He just something along the lines of that you could tell the rotor needed replacement because of how it looked I guess. Wish I could be more helpful but I honestly don't really know why it caused the noise. All I know is that once I changed the rotors the problem went away.

I also remember reading up on this issue on an Acura Integra forum somewhere which is why I bothered to replace the rotors since some one on that forum had a similar problem... Do yours have this issue?
yeah... Though I'm not sure if it sounds the same as yours. The YouTube clips you uploaded is no longer working so I can't compare.