IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

350 fsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 07:39 PM
Disabled
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 fsport

I'm getting an fsport for around 10k. For the money I'd save over getting an isf, i feel I could do some work to it and make it comparable. I don't know **** about cars so correct me if I'm way off. An isf is at least 25k. I feel like 15k into a sport could make it haul.
Old 03-04-16, 07:43 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

350 f sport for 10k? Lol
Old 03-04-16, 07:47 PM
Disabled
Driver School Candidate

Why lol? I'm friends with the guy/ rebuilt title. He's upgrading. It's an 06 w/96k. I don't know a lot about cars, so actual help would be pretty cool.

Last edited by Disabled; 03-04-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 08:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

There is no such thing as an '06 F-sport. That package was introduced in the 2011 model year.
Old 03-04-16, 08:15 PM
Disabled
Driver School Candidate

That makes sense. Do you know what trim he's referring to(my friend) I've seen the car. It's not base.

Ok, he said sports package. I'm stupid. Question still stands. Thanks for calling that out.

Last edited by Disabled; 03-04-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 08:19 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I'm afraid my crystal ball is on the fritz. I'll link the buyers guide, below, which has a list of which options are in each package. If you remember what options it had, you should be able to figure out what package it has.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 03-05-16, 04:42 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power wise you'll never be comparable to an isf. Aesthetics wise that depends on the owner. Either way both cars are beautiful.
Old 03-05-16, 06:10 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in somewhat the same boat, deciding on 350 or ISF for extra 10-15k. Obviously ISF is better and there wont be any regrets later, I just wish I found the right one....
Old 03-05-16, 01:16 PM
Disabled
Driver School Candidate

I read on here that the ecu has been cracked, whatever that means. I'm def going for the 350. I was just wondering what I could do with that 15k, besides cosmetics. ISF is a beast though.

@koylan, you should get the ISF if you can afford it. I've already decided. I'm just curious what I can do with the platform with my left over budget. If I wasn't buying it off my buddy, I would probably buy an ISF instead.

Last edited by Disabled; 03-05-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 09:12 PM
02camryle
Rookie

Impretty sure isF would be worth everypenny plus even the 350 cant be as fast the F
Old 03-05-16, 09:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no such thing as f sport for 06. There is however a sports package (that's what I have on my 06). It basically gives you everything in the Luxury package minus the rear window shade, the illuminated door sills, and no wood trim. But you do get a nicer (IMO) gray aluminum or something like that trim. Much sportier looking.

Now as for the ECU being cracked it's just a tune that raises the red line from 6500-ish Rpm, to 7200 Rpm. And you only gain about 10-14 whp from the test car data. Nothing amazing but it's still nice to know that we can have some extra fun with our cars that we previously couldn't. However I still highly recommend you just get an ISF if you can. There is no replacement for a V8 and I almost guarantee later on you will be kicking yourself a little for not getting that instead.

The is350 is a great car and I love mine, but damn do I wish I had a V8 lol. $15k in mods might get you there if you supercharge it but a stock ISF or slightly modded one will still leave you behind. That's just my opinion of course.
Old 03-05-16, 11:21 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tro209
. But you do get a nicer (IMO) gray aluminum or something like that trim. Much sportier looking.
Unfortunately it's not aluminum. It's the same painted plastic trim that comes on the base model. I know that some people associate the wood trim (especially in the shade that came on the earlier model years) with grandpa's Buick and would much rather not have it.

I'm totally in agreement that he should buy the IS-F if he is looking for significantly more performance than the IS350 has stock. Some cars can be tuned to make significantly more power with some simple mods. The IS350 isn't one of them. If he chooses to go that route, the result will be slower, less reliable, and worth considerably less in resale value.
Old 03-06-16, 08:11 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Unfortunately it's not aluminum. It's the same painted plastic trim that comes on the base model. I know that some people associate the wood trim (especially in the shade that came on the earlier model years) with grandpa's Buick and would much rather not have it.

I'm totally in agreement that he should buy the IS-F if he is looking for significantly more performance than the IS350 has stock. Some cars can be tuned to make significantly more power with some simple mods. The IS350 isn't one of them. If he chooses to go that route, the result will be slower, less reliable, and worth considerably less in resale value.
I knew it wasn't aluminum but I couldn't really think of any other material in my head that made sense at the time of my post lol.

Anyway yeah he should get an ISF if he can honestly. The IS350 is plenty fast for a daily truth be told, but if I could have got an ISF when purchasing my car I would have. And if I hadn't already spent a ton of money fixing up my ride, and putting a ton of miles on it, I would have traded up for an ISF already lol.

Also I find it weird that the ISF is actually the most reliable and most powerful and capable of the 3 model options. Where as the IS250 is the least reliable, least powerful, and least capable of the three. I guess you get what you pay for in this case lol.
Old 03-06-16, 08:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Just to clarify, when I said that going the IS350 route would be less reliable, I meant after performing the kind of mods (e.g. supercharger) that would be required to bump it into IS-F territory, and because the car he is buying from his friend is a rebuilt salvage vehicle. Comparing stock-to-stock, the IS350 and IS-F are both incredibly reliable.
Old 03-06-16, 08:58 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Just to clarify, when I said that going the IS350 route would be less reliable, I meant after performing the kind of mods (e.g. supercharger) that would be required to bump it into IS-F territory, and because the car he is buying from his friend is a rebuilt salvage vehicle. Comparing stock-to-stock, the IS350 and IS-F are both incredibly reliable vehicles.
Agreed on both fronts

But what I meant is that from what I've read on here on ClubLexus, the ISF technically really is more reliable than the IS350. In that it doesn't have the water pump issue. Granted I've never experienced the water pump issue and many others get lucky and don't go through it either, it's still a problem. Also agreed, both cars are very reliable and should be very easy to upkeep as long as you do basic maintenance like oil, spark plugs, etc..

Also I didn't realize the car in question was a Salvage... I would be wary of that car if I were you OP. Either get a non salvage or get an ISF. Trust me.. My brother went through that mess with his Pontiac and now my friend is currently going through this with his 2012 Lancer. I would avoid a salvage like the Black Plague

Last edited by Tro209; 03-06-16 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 350 fsport