IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

220d, white smoke, exhaust smells of fuel, high fuel consumption.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 02:10 PM
smutts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220d, white smoke, exhaust smells of fuel, high fuel consumption.

Just a potential FIX for you bashing your head against this particular wall,

The problem, a 2008 is220d, 110k miles, with embarrassing quantities of white smoke from exhaust that smells of diesel fuel.

My parents car has been smoking like a pig for the last few months,

Diagnosis....
Garage condemmed the DPF and replaced it..................Still smokes.
Garage says "just keep driving it, the smoke will soon stop"............It didn't
Garage says "er, drive it some more"...................Still smokes.
Garage yanks the injectors and send them off to be tested, by people who are not idiots..................non idiots send them back with the verdict, injectors are perfect...........................Still smokes.
Garage now say they are sure it is the turbo which will need replacing...................At which point I get involved and rescue the car.

No sign of misfire, compressions good, no play on the supposedly fragged turbo, no headgasket doom.

Not trusting the fifth injector, I unclipped the fuel line and plugged it by clipping another injector on it.

Went for a drive, white smoke gone! So confirming fifth injector misbehaviour.

Changed the fifth injector, a total git of a job............Smokes, Argh!

So it is the ECU telling the fifth injector to keep on squirting.

Techstream turns up from ebay, so plug it in.

The dpf pressure values are all over the shop, so tee in a magnehelic guage, which disagrees with the values from the software.

Wiggle wiring, AHA! Gotcha! Pressure values in the software change in sympathy.

So I remade the wiring from dpf sensor to the ECU and then got good values for the dpf sensor pressure.

The ECU "learns" whilst you drive, but the corrupt dpf pressure data had totally confused it. Unplug car battery for ten minutes, reconnect, ECU starts to relearn with good data. Relearn the window winders by driving them for a couple of seconds against their stops at each door switch.

AND THE SMOKE STOPPED! and mpg has gone up from 25mpg imp to 40+mpg imp.

The magnehelic gauge reads 5kPa (20 inches water gauge) when regeneration of the DPF now starts.

Good luck on what is a fantastic car.

Last edited by smutts; 03-25-16 at 06:51 AM. Reason: tidy up
Old 04-03-16, 11:19 AM
smutts
Driver School Candidate

Bump, as lots of is220d lexus owners are trying to fix this problem, I thought someone might be interested in this possible solution.
Old 01-19-17, 12:14 PM
sbellerby
Driver School Candidate

Hi smutts, I am currently having the exact same issue. Would you diagnose the issue as a faulty fifth injector, or the wiring loom telling the injector to activate more. I found write up extremely helpful thanks.
Old 01-10-18, 04:45 AM
PauliS
Driver School Candidate

Default White Smoke

Hello,

Do you know if a linked exist on where I could learn how to do this?
I put my Lexus to many Lexus Dealers, and I each time 500€ for nothing.

I even printed your post and told them "just do that", but it seems they can't manage to do it for less than 800€ so... I give up on them!

Anyway, thank you for giving an answer to this white smoke problem... I am strarting to feel quite shamefull each time it does it!

Sincerly yours,
Paul
Old 03-13-18, 07:36 AM
kevinh392
Driver School Candidate

Hi Smutts,

I just purchased a Lexus 220d F sport from Arnold Clark for my wife. It occasionally lets out white smoke and has avg fuel consumption of 24MPG I need to go back to them with this issue.
Just a quick question did you hhave to replace somme of the wiring loom before the battery rest?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-30-19, 10:09 PM
Dharam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smutts
Just a potential FIX for you bashing your head against this particular wall,

The problem, a 2008 is220d, 110k miles, with embarrassing quantities of white smoke from exhaust that smells of diesel fuel.

My parents car has been smoking like a pig for the last few months,

Diagnosis....
Garage condemmed the DPF and replaced it..................Still smokes.
Garage says "just keep driving it, the smoke will soon stop"............It didn't
Garage says "er, drive it some more"...................Still smokes.
Garage yanks the injectors and send them off to be tested, by people who are not idiots..................non idiots send them back with the verdict, injectors are perfect...........................Still smokes.
Garage now say they are sure it is the turbo which will need replacing...................At which point I get involved and rescue the car.

No sign of misfire, compressions good, no play on the supposedly fragged turbo, no headgasket doom.

Not trusting the fifth injector, I unclipped the fuel line and plugged it by clipping another injector on it.

Went for a drive, white smoke gone! So confirming fifth injector misbehaviour.

Changed the fifth injector, a total git of a job............Smokes, Argh!

So it is the ECU telling the fifth injector to keep on squirting.

Techstream turns up from ebay, so plug it in.

The dpf pressure values are all over the shop, so tee in a magnehelic guage, which disagrees with the values from the software.

Wiggle wiring, AHA! Gotcha! Pressure values in the software change in sympathy.

So I remade the wiring from dpf sensor to the ECU and then got good values for the dpf sensor pressure.

The ECU "learns" whilst you drive, but the corrupt dpf pressure data had totally confused it. Unplug car battery for ten minutes, reconnect, ECU starts to relearn with good data. Relearn the window winders by driving them for a couple of seconds against their stops at each door switch.

AND THE SMOKE STOPPED! and mpg has gone up from 25mpg imp to 40+mpg imp.

The magnehelic gauge reads 5kPa (20 inches water gauge) when regeneration of the DPF now starts.

Good luck on what is a fantastic car.
Hi Smutts
Please tell me exactly how you managed to rewire and what values you put because I've done everything you'd done before
Thanks