IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Affordable Quality Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 09:55 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Bought a set of dealer accessory 18 inch "spyder" wheels for my SC300 for $800 off ebay, new in box. Can't beat that for an OEM wheel. Of course I'm not really into the whole "hella-flush" crap, or wanting a crazy/different offset. As you can see the car is still stock ride height, fit was perfect.

Ive seen this and Ill admit that they look pretty nice for being an OEM wheel option from Lexus. But im more into getting something a little more "aftermarket" in appearance. Also 19"s are a must for me, as well as having a wheel that is lighter and stronger than stock (no cast wheels).

I know that rotary forged wheels and the like are still technically considered cast wheels, but they carry the benefit of being made in such a way that they come out weighing less and being stronger than OEM or other cheaper alternatives. Those Spyder wheels do however look very nice and I do prefer those over my stock 18's though, but I'm looking for something that will be more of an overall upgrade to the car as a whole. Only without having to shell out close to $1k per wheel for forged monoblock or multipiece wheels.
Old 04-17-16, 11:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Ive seen this and Ill admit that they look pretty nice for being an OEM wheel option from Lexus. But im more into getting something a little more "aftermarket" in appearance. Also 19"s are a must for me, as well as having a wheel that is lighter and stronger than stock (no cast wheels).

I know that rotary forged wheels and the like are still technically considered cast wheels, but they carry the benefit of being made in such a way that they come out weighing less and being stronger than OEM or other cheaper alternatives. Those Spyder wheels do however look very nice and I do prefer those over my stock 18's though, but I'm looking for something that will be more of an overall upgrade to the car as a whole. Only without having to shell out close to $1k per wheel for forged monoblock or multipiece wheels.
I get what you're saying, as I think dropping $4,000 on a set of wheels is a bit absurd as well. Still, this was a huge upgrade over the factory 15" wheels the SC came with, it made it look so much more modern and up to date style wise. For what I paid, you can't beat OEM quality, which is why I went this route instead of cheap aftermarket.
Old 04-17-16, 11:28 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I get what you're saying, as I think dropping $4,000 on a set of wheels is a bit absurd as well. Still, this was a huge upgrade over the factory 15" wheels the SC came with, it made it look so much more modern and up to date style wise. For what I paid, you can't beat OEM quality, which is why I went this route instead of cheap aftermarket.
Oh dont take it the wrong way either, the spiders look way better than your average stock SC wheel for sure. Just saying that around here its common on the ISx50 is all. So I personally wouldnt buy them, at least not for my IS. Never seen them on an SC yet till now though honestly and I can say it looks a lot better.
Old 04-17-16, 11:39 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

is a couple pounds on each wheel really gonna sway ur decision, just lose some weight in that case lol
Old 04-18-16, 12:24 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Parsa
is a couple pounds on each wheel really gonna sway ur decision, just lose some weight in that case lol
Lol thanks for pointing out my weight issue , jk. But yeah it honestly does, shedding a 5-8 pounds off each corner of the car is greater than me weight reducting the car by 20-30 lbs elsewhere. At least thats what ive read anyway. And its even more important that they are rotary forged because if I go pure cast, then the size upgrade to 19's will make an even bigger wieght difference than it has to IMO.

Oh yeah and plus, theyre stronger than your average stock or cast wheel. Thats the main reason to get them IMO. Ive actually read somewhere that going Rotary Forged (or whatever fancy name the brand wants to call it) gives you about 70% of the benefit of Forged monoblock wheels. But for only a fraction of the cost. IMO if im upgrading from stock, I at least need to go with an upgraded wheel durability. Oh and 19's lol.
Old 04-18-16, 12:42 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea i see where ur coming from. i might be looking to pick up wheels in the near future too but theyre gona be 18s so i dont need to get new tires since i recently got a new full set and also wont have to deal with any rubbing issues since im on springs. 19 would be real nice tho. they're china wholesale at $500 a set from craigslist lol, still have to check them out and just swerve pot holes all day. i have a couple tickets to pay (gona win the cases tho �� ) and had to take work off this semester since im at school so much. also i cant rationalize spending more than a grand on wheels for a $10k car. i understand you can always resell them but i dont have that much liquid cash to be playing around with right now