IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Genuine denso spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 10:18 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Is everyone seeing laser engraving on all Denso plugs?
The ones that came out and went in had it.

Out #1 and #7 just visible here on the flats.
Originally Posted by professorm
2008 GS350 - I had slight oil in my tube seals in most, but my #3 plug (passenger middle) had a decent amount of oil. All the plugs looked relatively normal after 60k miles, but the same #3 plug had decent amount of white deposits and the electrode seemed burnt some.

Plug #6 from the Tundra 4.6 1UR-FE had the tube half full and it definitely changed the burn color on that plug. IMO your plugs are not seated properly and blowby gasses are causing most of the black oil on that plug set. Think in terms of a crack pipe. If enough combustion gasses pass through it, it makes black tar. That's what's on your plug threads as they are not sealing the combustion gasses in the head and are actually leaking past the threads....

Not that I inspect/use crack pipes! lol

Keep a syringe handy the next go round to suck the oil out so it doesn't fill the cylinder and risk locking the engine or bending something.
Old 09-23-22, 11:01 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Plug #6 from the Tundra 4.6 1UR-FE had the tube half full and it definitely changed the burn color on that plug. IMO your plugs are not seated properly and blowby gasses are causing most of the black oil on that plug set. Think in terms of a crack pipe. If enough combustion gasses pass through it, it makes black tar. That's what's on your plug threads as they are not sealing the combustion gasses in the head and are actually leaking past the threads....

Not that I inspect/use crack pipes! lol

Keep a syringe handy the next go round to suck the oil out so it doesn't fill the cylinder and risk locking the engine or bending something.
great advice. Mine really was not that much. I used a rag and a screw driver to try to soak up some before I unscrewed the plug. The worst one took 2 dips to soak up most of it, then it wasn’t getting much more. It may have been like 1/3 teaspoon.

The others were a small amount, I really wasn’t getting anything much out with soaking it up.

I wonder if I should try to tighten them more? I used the Denso suggested method of tightening by hand tight until seated fully, then 1/2 turn more.

I put antiseize no the threads, so I know that would throw off a torque reading.