IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 04:48 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Did any of you guys actually got a Lexus rental versus enterprise?

Not sure how I feel about driving a Kia for 6 months...
Yes. We got Lexus CT200h. YMMV as it depends on a dealer.

Originally Posted by Parsa
when you get a rental do you keep your kexus? id love to just have another car to play with and have for the family lol
You do keep your Lexus but you sign the contract that you won't drive the Lexus being recalled as you're being provided rental/loaner. So you do not get another car to "play with".

Originally Posted by dicer
Sorry to be a party pooper, but what makes you think the rental car is any better air bag wise? Do the study, even the replacement airbag inflater may need to be recalled.
They are all bad designed parts, with no pressure relief valves and cases that are not thick enough.
http://asq.org/qualitynews/qnt/execu...p?newsID=21826
The odds. I'm sure airbag in 2013 Lexus CT200h will less likely be impacted compared to 2007 Lexus IS250 which has gone through several hot and humid seasons in Southern California.
Old 08-14-16, 06:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Odds? I don't want odds. I don't gamble with stuff like that. Its an easy thing to avoid, its bad enough having all the other odds we have to face daily. You don't need humid, if the skinny thin steel case has a forming hairline fracture, or the unskilled assembly people happen to add a few extra propellant pills to the mix, or their sweat just dripped into the assembly.
Old 08-14-16, 11:14 PM
vboolcha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the loaner as well. (2007 Lexus IS 250) The dealership authorizes $35/day through enterprise which gets you a midsize and I pay an extra $5/day to get a full size to use a toyota camry. You have to go month to month through enterprise and you have to bring in your lexus on a monthly basis so that they can take a picture of the odometer and send it to lexus. I tried to call lexus corporate and they told me the rental company is up to the local dealership. Ironically I can make reservation for a full size for less than $35/day with taxes and fees at enterprise and am going to see if I can make my own reservation and save lexus some money on this whole deal for the next month..
Old 08-15-16, 08:30 AM
rnav1007
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus and a case manager set me up with the local dealership to get a loaner. I'm on the waitlist since they'll be using their own loaners for this recall, as TakaM had stated, but it's a 2 week waitlist. I think it's worth the wait to drive another Lexus than get stuck with a Hyundai. Hopefully the dealer doesn't decide to contract out.
Old 08-15-16, 02:20 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Odds? I don't want odds. I don't gamble with stuff like that. Its an easy thing to avoid, its bad enough having all the other odds we have to face daily. You don't need humid, if the skinny thin steel case has a forming hairline fracture, or the unskilled assembly people happen to add a few extra propellant pills to the mix, or their sweat just dripped into the assembly.
I understand your point. So what are you suggesting? Do you have list of cars that doesn't use Takata airbag that is readily available by the Lexus Dealer? I just didn't have much choice on my end without significantly inconveniencing somebody in my family or paying the rental on my own (if the car can be verified that it's made by another airbag manufacturer than Takata).

Last edited by TakaM; 08-15-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 02:26 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

So some people are getting lucky and getting another Lexus as their temporary vehicle, while others are having to settle with Enterprise Rentals. What exactly are you guys with Lexus loaners saying/doing to get the Lexus loaner vs the Enterprise Rental. Not for nothing, but if you are going to tell me not to drive my vehicle, you better be providing something comparable to it for me to drive. None of us paid as much as we did to be told we can't drive our cars for 6 months and we have to drive some POS instead, free or not.

Does this whole process start with Lexus Corporate or are you guys going through your local dealerships..?
Old 08-16-16, 10:23 PM
1ISto2IS
Driver School Candidate

I'm still waiting for the service manager to call me back for the arrangement of the loaner
Old 08-17-16, 04:54 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at my Lexus dealer today picking some parts for my project. I asked him about a loner he said no problem. He did add it's an Enterprise deal capped st 35 per day but better than nothing IMO. Not so happy about it but what can be done. He said parts will be in Jan 17. The good thing is this is weekend car so the loaner can take all the mileage which I am going to pile on.

BTW I devised a way to disable the dash bag. I studied the electrical for this car and there are 3 plugs under the seat that connect the car to the seat. 1 ) power block for the motor ( big white square one) 2 ) yellow which is side air bag 3) other plug which may be grey or white smaller than plug no1 and is connected to auto passenger sensors that auto turn off bag.

If plug no 3 is pulled it turns off the dash bag and dash bag only. I confirmed with some electrical car people that the other air bags knee or side or piller are never affected. If you pull the plug you will also get a cel stating the bag is off and you will get the "passenger air bag is off" on the indicator on the center consol under the screen. It would be like the manual turn off some cars have for the passenger if a younger passenger is sitting there.

I also checked with some ASC CERTIFIED LEXUS , a BMW AND A ROLLS ROYCE MECHANIC and they confirmed my findings. My Lexus advisor remarked that was an obscure thing to detect and thought it was pretty good.

So before you flame me ask yourself do you not want to drive your car with a front seat passenger or drive with the air bag off just to be assured they would not get hurt if it did deploy ?

Do do at your own risk. I performed the operation twice and it worked. I even tested it with plug pulled , me in the passenger seat starting the car with a yardstick depressing the brake. Worked.
Old 08-18-16, 08:53 AM
rnav1007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ JB
So some people are getting lucky and getting another Lexus as their temporary vehicle, while others are having to settle with Enterprise Rentals. What exactly are you guys with Lexus loaners saying/doing to get the Lexus loaner vs the Enterprise Rental. Not for nothing, but if you are going to tell me not to drive my vehicle, you better be providing something comparable to it for me to drive. None of us paid as much as we did to be told we can't drive our cars for 6 months and we have to drive some POS instead, free or not.

Does this whole process start with Lexus Corporate or are you guys going through your local dealerships..?
When I spoke to the case manager through Lexus Corporate, the process she described was that dealerships would go through a rental company and she mentioned that I wouldn't get a Lexus but at least it's something. That seems to be their main strategy. However, since another member here had mentioned that the local dealership would use their own fleet as the loaners, I called them to confirm this and they put me on a waitlist to get another Lexus. I hope the local dealership's strategy doesn't change by the time they get me a loaner (about a week or so, supposedly). Long story short, call your local dealers and see how they'll be handling it, but do so now or you might be out of luck.
Old 08-19-16, 10:35 AM
5nX37
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinam3
I was at my Lexus dealer today picking some parts for my project. I asked him about a loner he said no problem. He did add it's an Enterprise deal capped st 35 per day but better than nothing IMO. Not so happy about it but what can be done. He said parts will be in Jan 17. The good thing is this is weekend car so the loaner can take all the mileage which I am going to pile on.
Wait.. So is this date confirmed or is it just a rough guess-timate?
Old 08-19-16, 02:57 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5nX37
Great question. I was told April, maybe May, 2017.
Old 08-19-16, 04:50 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

At at this point it's all a projection when they get the parts.

Originally Posted by 5nX37
Old 08-20-16, 03:22 AM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My dealer was being an *** about giving me a loaner. Called up corporate and they set up a loaner with the service manager. Get to dealer they call enterprise. Now I have a 2016 Q70 for maybe 6-8 months.
Old 08-22-16, 09:48 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Had some time today so went to Longo Lexus and registered my IS350 for the airbag recall. Called in advance took the letter with me. They checked me in, took the car to make sure it was the right year. Received a Volkswagen Passat Wolfsberg. No problem no extra money required and unlimited mileage. 5 months they said I had it for or however long it takes to get the Takada replacements. If I get tired of it in a month just say so and they will find me something else. My car is in my garage and I can drive it if I want to.

I also showed them how to disconnect the dash bag so it reads "passenger air bag off". They got a kick out of that but said they can't do that.

Going to to put some heavy mileage on it. It may be a pain to do all this but I must say Lexus IS taking car of the issue.
Old 08-23-16, 12:34 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just talked to dealership in Tampa bay area and they also said $35 a day at enterprise.
take your care to dealer, they take a photo of mileage, drive to enterprise pick up your car.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.