IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 07:12 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone add some clarification to this. I'm reading a lot on the Facebook groups that dealers are now telling people to hold off on the recalls? Again this is Facebook so I tend to take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 02-12-17, 08:23 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Completely different recall.

Only had my rental for 2 weeks. Its a Mustang convertible. Didn't get the call yet and hope not it soon. Been looking forward for it to warm up to put the top down.
Thanks. Just called my dealer and asked about it, hopefully they get back to me soon.

And just curious how did you get a rental that nice?
Old 02-13-17, 06:58 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally

Finally received my call on Friday 2/10/17. Will be taking in the IS on Wednesday 2/15/17. I will say it has been quite the experience. I have had 2 rentals. 1st a genesis 3.8 from August 5th 2016 to January 3rd. This was a very nice roomy car and the fist day I got it had a family trip from Austin to ft worth. 2nd a Buick Regal with a turbo. This was my first time driving a turbo other than test driving an evo and sti. Very fun to drive but I miss my IS. had to walk by it in the garage every day to get to the rental. All in all a good experience from Lexus and Avis. Total cost approximately $6.8k just for me. Now to get my panels fixed and I'll be good on my current recalls. Good luck everyone.
Old 02-13-17, 05:22 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Thanks. Just called my dealer and asked about it, hopefully they get back to me soon.

And just curious how did you get a rental that nice?
Some people used their AAA or corporate discount to upgrade for free instead of a Kia or something cheap. I was prepared to do the same but Enterprise said no need, just pick whatever's on the lot and I can have it. It was the 2016 Mustang Convertible, a Hyundai SUV, or a Kia compact.
Old 02-13-17, 07:08 PM
gnate11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06350F
Can anyone add some clarification to this. I'm reading a lot on the Facebook groups that dealers are now telling people to hold off on the recalls? Again this is Facebook so I tend to take everything with a grain of salt.
I made an appointment with my dealer for the recall and they cancelled it. They said that Lexus wants to first "train" the dealers on how to install the replacement parts. No word yet on when that will happen.
Old 02-14-17, 04:45 AM
boystar22
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a call canceling my appointment for this afternoon from the dealer saying that they've put a halt on replacing them and are updating the repair/installation procedure before they let them do the repairs.
Old 02-14-17, 07:43 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Unhappy Loaner cars for the airbag recall?

2006 IS350

The Takata airbag recall is taking forever, and I don't feel very safe driving around in my car, because I have been parking it outside in the elements 24/7 for the past 6 years, and it was from Texas before I took it to Pennsylvania. So it has been experiencing a lot of humidity and temp swings, which is supposed to make the bags go bad. Plus its 12 years old! (manufactured in 05). My local dealer said the recall for the IS is currently suspended, and the ES models aren't getting the bags in until 2019!!

Does Lexus expect us to drive around in ticking time bombs, or are they offering loaner cars in certain situations?? Any info helps. Thanks!
Old 02-14-17, 09:26 PM
Jay21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They offer loaner cars but some dealers may not have enough loaners so they may put u in a rental which Lexus will pay for but the car they give u will most likely not be a Lexus but maybe a nissan or whatever hertz or enterprise have available
Old 02-14-17, 11:07 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay21
They offer loaner cars but some dealers may not have enough loaners so they may put u in a rental which Lexus will pay for but the car they give u will most likely not be a Lexus but maybe a nissan or whatever hertz or enterprise have available

Hmm ok good. Thank you! So do I ask my local dealer or Lexus corporate about that?
Old 02-15-17, 08:49 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welp, that just means we get to keep the rental much longer.
Old 02-15-17, 09:51 AM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Talked to my SA today asking for a rental who said Lexus was expecting new airbag anytime now so Lexus would not honor any more rental.
Old 02-15-17, 09:54 AM
gnate11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by abounly
Welp, that just means we get to keep the rental much longer.
Has anyone's dealer indicated when they expect to actually start fixing the cars? Next week? And how long will the fix take?
Old 02-15-17, 11:57 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gnate11
Has anyone's dealer indicated when they expect to actually start fixing the cars? Next week? And how long will the fix take?
Nope. Airbags have been delivered to dealers (assigned to a car). But everything is on hold pending further notice from Lexus HQ.
Old 02-17-17, 09:42 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by gnate11
Word from my dealer is they are starting on them again next week. Supposedly they can obtain 20 of them each week. Told me I can expect a call to schedule an appointment in the next 2-3 weeks.

They are also still offering the loaner if I wanted one (through Enterprise), but I declined.
Old 02-17-17, 05:43 PM
typhoon44
Rookie

Originally Posted by boystar22
I just got a call canceling my appointment for this afternoon from the dealer saying that they've put a halt on replacing them and are updating the repair/installation procedure before they let them do the repairs.
Update. So my car is still at the dealership and they stated they are waiting on an additional bolt (NFI) that was supposed to be in today but now they are saying next week. They said the airbag has already been installed and they are just waiting for this last part to finish the job. So car stayed at the dealership and I still have my rental but I do want my IS back soon. Oh they did tell me that they cancelled all appts due to this and my car is one of three that has the fix for the IS in Orlando. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.