IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 07:43 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my air bag replaced today. The service rep told me to get it done this week because they are about to run out and it will be a while before they get another shipment. Still waiting on dash and door panels. 2007 is250. My loaner is an rx350 and i did not like it. I was expecting more from Lexus, but given the way they are handling the dash and door panels, I will have to really get a good deal before I buy another Lexus.
Old 03-03-17, 07:43 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
Got my air bag replaced today. The service rep told me to get it done this week because they are about to run out and it will be a while before they get another shipment. Still waiting on dash and door panels. 2007 is250. My loaner is an rx350 and i did not like it. I was expecting more from Lexus, but given the way they are handling the dash and door panels, I will have to really get a good deal before I buy another Lexus.
That's funny, when I was in for my air bag replacement yesterday, I ended up ordering a new LC500. Been super happy with Lexus.
Old 03-03-17, 11:41 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
Really? I love the new RX. I've been on the fence of trading in my 13 RX for a new one. Got one as a loaner today for the airbag recall, was a base one though without any options (that wider nav screen is a lot clearer, and nicer overall, than the standard size screen they have).

As for the airbag recall itself, they had it done in a few hours. Just picked up my car, got a free tank of gas as well. Just a slight note, mine is an 08, and I was only on the list for a replacement for 2 weeks now (got on it after getting my new dash). These shouldn't take nearly as long to get replaced as the dashes and door panels took, they're a lot simpler to make in large quantities, and faster to replace. Since Lexus finally gave the dealers the go ahead to start replacing them again (around mid/end of February), they should move quickly on them, I doubt most people will be waiting for more than a couple months.
Originally Posted by TimboIS
That's funny, when I was in for my air bag replacement yesterday, I ended up ordering a new LC500. Been super happy with Lexus.
Congrats on the order. Is the news of a potential LC-F swaying you at all, or is that what your Huracan is for?
Old 03-03-17, 04:08 PM
aduff415
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally scheduled to have it replaced. The rep didn't seem eager to have me swap out as soon as possible, which is nice cause ive had a rental for 6 months now (Jeep Grand Cherokee). Only because I wanted to take my rental car up into the snow in two weeks. Glad this journey is finally coming to an end.
Old 03-04-17, 01:16 PM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does replacing the air bag require removal of the whole dash? I just had my dash replaced last year.
Old 03-04-17, 05:13 PM
bcprospect
3rd Gear

Just received recall notice on 2007 is-250 air bag, a phase 2 recall in Canada.
We are in Vancouver BC, so the degradation factor for high humidity should qualify.
Vehicles parked in garages after driving in rain have high humidity situations.
Recall notice said not to use the passenger seat, which is rather difficult.
My wife can't drive, just had hip replacement in July 2016, and climbing in to the rear seat is impossible.
Hopefully we either qualify for higher priority for the parts or a replacement vehicle until they become available.
There are 5 phases to this recall, which means there are a lot of vehicles out there which have a big question mark on them.
This will obviously affect resale values, and Lexus reputation.
Will see how the dealer responds.
Old 03-04-17, 07:39 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I spoke to my SA who said they are ready for me to bring the car in to replace my airbag. My car is in storage so I called corporate who said, after running my VIN they noticed that Lexus has a stop on installation of airbags on my vehicle ( 06 is350).

my question is why the dealership is saying they are ready but corporate wants me to wait and keep the rental? Why is there a disconnect between the dealer and corporate, and who has the proper information. I'm not going to have an incorrect or unreliable airbag installed only to go through this ordeal again.
Old 03-04-17, 09:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprospect
Just received recall notice on 2007 is-250 air bag, a phase 2 recall in Canada.
We are in Vancouver BC, so the degradation factor for high humidity should qualify.
Vehicles parked in garages after driving in rain have high humidity situations.
Recall notice said not to use the passenger seat, which is rather difficult.
My wife can't drive, just had hip replacement in July 2016, and climbing in to the rear seat is impossible.
Hopefully we either qualify for higher priority for the parts or a replacement vehicle until they become available.
There are 5 phases to this recall, which means there are a lot of vehicles out there which have a big question mark on them.
This will obviously affect resale values, and Lexus reputation.
Will see how the dealer responds.
I wouldn't be concerned about resale at all. Lexus weathered the fake sudden accelerator pedal scandal perfectly fine with no drop in numbers. The airbag bug spans over to most all other cars, so it's not a Lexus thing. No need to worry.
Old 03-05-17, 04:11 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

My car has been in the shop since Friday and my SA has told me it might be Tuesday before I could get her her back.
But I then on Friday had my Lexus traded so I technically no longer own the Lexus!
And frankly I have had enough with Toyota/Lexus brand.
Old 03-05-17, 04:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by videopho
My car has been in the shop since Friday and my SA has told me it might be Tuesday before I could get her her back.
But I then on Friday had my Lexus traded so I technically no longer own the Lexus!
And frankly I have had enough with Toyota/Lexus brand.
Uh, ok. Thanks for the update... Bye!
The following users liked this post:
KC2 (03-05-17)
Old 03-07-17, 03:07 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

My 70 year old dad is visiting me soon and he felt unsafe riding in passenger seat of my IS350 (not my driving...the airbag . He called my local dealership, explained the circumstances, and they moved us up the list. If you have similar circumstances, call your service manager and explain for safety reasons you need the work done asap. At any rate it's a 1 day job and i expect it back tomorrow...fingers crossed no issues...in the mean time they gave me a loaner of a new ES350....has to be the ugliest interior I've ever seen though....yuck.
Attached Thumbnails Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.-img_0796.jpg  

Last edited by liazon; 03-08-17 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 06:27 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Car Going In For Airbag Recall!

Just got notified from Newport Lexus today that the replacement passenger side airbag has come in. My car is sched to go in tomorrow for the new airbag and they are giving me new front door panels L and R! The current door panels are sticky gooey. And I'll be getting an IS loaner car for the day!
Old 03-08-17, 03:57 AM
TEAMSHARK
Driver School Candidate

Finally.... after sitting in the garage since the end of last summer, I got the passenger front air bag recall service two days ago. Nice to have the car back. I am very happy with the service we got from Lexus taking care of us with rental car from Enterprise.
Old 03-08-17, 06:23 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by liazon
..in the mean time they gave me a loaner of a new ES350....has to be the ugliest interior I've ever seen though....yuck.
When I had mine in for the door panels they gave me a new ES with the same interior. I agree, it is brutally ugly.
Old 03-08-17, 06:10 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I got a call today from my SA about setting up an appointment to get the recall done.

I have a remote start behind the stereo system. Does anyone know if they need to take the dash off or would the remote start interfere with when they tried to perform the recall? I might take it out.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.